List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeman Stephenson Kennedy Broomhead Macrae Poulter Rantall Draper Sier all being busts has really hurt.

Very very little coming through under 25 apart from Daicos.. and Nick is looking pretty sore recently.

Nick always has someone hanging off him and he barely gets any help from his team mates.

Nick always has someone hanging off him and he barely gets any help from his team mates.

He's super light too so he feels though bumps more than others.

He's looked a little less explosive the last fortnight and I worry having to carry our midfield is gonna catch up to him and he'll be struggling come September (if we make it)

Wake up.

Grundy's $500k - $650k saving could've easily been found elsewhere especially with the cap massively increasing.

So someone like Henry who was determined to leave the club is traded for below true value but whenever we trade for someone who is determined to come to us we have to overpay? That's exactly what is wrong with our trading.

And Ginnivan I said has more talent. Pretty sure you're the one who said Ginnivan has a higher footy IQ than Hill last year. "Intensity, focus, commitment and aggression" are things that are developed to harness that talent. If Schultz had more talent he would've been drafted as an 18 year old. And Schultz and pace? Cmon.

Adams - why do we need to offer a 3 year contract when he was still contracted? If our intention was to go back to back, why strengthen one of our key rivals for the sake of a pick 30 odd?

There's no need for you to be the clubs spin doctor and say we can do no wrong. It's ok to criticize things we haven't been doing well and to try get better. Isn't that Fly's mantra?

We do a lot right as a club but (outside of coaching) our trading and list management has been one of the reasons that we have not being able to become a dynasty team like the Lions, Cats, Hawks and Tigers during that period. We've drafted in enough generational talent in the last two decades to match it with them. We've been blessed with Buckley, Swan, Pendles and now Naicos during that time who all have claims for Collingwood GOAT status (pretty sure Naicos will be it by end of his career). Would be a shame if the best we can do is convert that into a premiership once every 15 years and not try to do better.
The difference between you and me is I have perspective, and don’t use revisionism to bag the club.

Grundy - I actually didn’t want him traded. But I am first to admit Cox and Cameron filled the breech and we won the flag.
But please show me how we could have saved $650 x 5 years in another ways to increase our cap space while retaining him.

Ginnivan - I absolutely believe he has high Footy IQ. But he’s a showy pony - who may never develop Shooters strengths, despite your insistence to the contrary. And while in the flag window getting a far more committed player was a sound decision.

Adams - most here thought he was cooked. Now your hindsight says, we should have kept him, but I guarantee you’d have no qualms today had we not had injuries. Similarly with Henry - did we miss him last year? Now with injuries you lament his loss as a trading mistake.
Help me understand how holding fast and putting into the PSD would have helped the club?

As to the dynasty Clubs - they all spent years at the bottom of the ladder collecting 1st rd picks and talent.
Coll as a Club never bottoms out - but nonetheless continues to contend.

If you think my having perspective is Spin then that’s your issue.

As too following the Club line - just go back and see how critical I was about trading Grundy.

You will notice I never criticise thoughtful, logical and rational posts.
It’s those using hindsight, revisionism or vacuous argument ignoring facts, (eg Hine critics) to bag the club that get my attention.

I know there has been no links or any murmurs but as for young midfielders Bailey Humphrey might be of interest. He has not been performing that well this year, I wonder if he could be persuaded to come back home. He is a bit of a bull who would work well with Naicos.

I know it won't happen for years if at all but I was impressed with Will Graham when he played us, 22 a goal and 4 clearances at 18 he seems like a perfect Naicos partner.

Elijah Tsatas with 14 clearances in the VFL today.

Blake Howes is currently playing VFL footy as well 191 medium defender.

McMahon with 3.1 (not saying bring him on the list but if he trained with us over the summer I would be fine with that).

I know there has been no links or any murmurs but as for young midfielders Bailey Humphrey might be of interest. He has not been performing that well this year, I wonder if he could be persuaded to come back home. He is a bit of a bull who would work well with Naicos.

Elijah Tsatas with 14 clearances in the VFL today

Blake Howes is currently playing VFL footy as well 191 medium defender

McMahon with 3.1 (not saying bring him on the list but if he trained with us over the summer I would be fine with that)

Humphrey would still cost the world.

Reckon the Suns wouldn’t settle for any less than a future first even if we could request him to request the trade.

Tsatas could come cheap though and might be worth a look. Seems a bit like Finn though. Tears it up at VFL level but can’t seem to adjust to the tempo of AFL.

I know it won't happen for years if at all but I was impressed with Will Graham when he played us, 22 a goal and 4 clearances at 18 he seems like a perfect Naicos partner.

Elijah Tsatas with 14 clearances in the VFL today.

Blake Howes is currently playing VFL footy as well 191 medium defender.

McMahon with 3.1 (not saying bring him on the list but if he trained with us over the summer I would be fine with that).
I doubt we could get anyone thats best 22 for the suns right now (less alone anyone thats a local GC boy). Better look at those that can't get a game because of their depth. Davies would be one. Who had a good game today

Humphrey would still cost the world.

Reckon the Suns wouldn’t settle for any less than a future first even if we could request him to request the trade.

Tsatas could come cheap though and might be worth a look. Seems a bit like Finn though. Tears it up at VFL level but can’t seem to adjust to the tempo of AFL.
GCSUNS have first round players Leo Lombard (2024) and Zeke Uwland (2025) coming through and 3 current 1sts, might not cost a bomb.

Tsatas is a baby, not many 19 year olds tearing it up in the midfield in the AFL.

I doubt we could get anyone thats best 22 for the suns right now (less alone anyone thats a local GC boy). Better look at those that can't get a game because of their depth. Davies would be one. Who had a good game today
Hasn't Humphreys been in and out of their side + sub a bunch of times?

Edit: Also I know Will Graham was part of their academy, someone who plays like him would be good to partner with Naicos.

The player I’m keen on given our clearance issues, the load on Nick, plus the ages of Mitchell and to a lesser extent Pendles is Will Brodie.

Can’t get a look in at Freo. But he’s still been tearing it up in the WAFL.

Given Freo signed him up at the start of 2023 to a big contract through to end of 2026, they’d likely give him up for peanuts. Heck they might even upgrade some of our picks in the process to off load his contract.

He’ll only be 26 at the start of next year too.

More sub a couple times, just a little bit of form issues this year. But happens sometimes after a strong year last year.
But would be very hard to pry him out of there. Especially with 4 years on his contract to go.
Play 34 games and still 19, so I'd suggest has played more than he hasn't.

Edit: Also I know Will Graham was part of their academy, someone who plays like him would be good to partner with Naicos.
He hasn't had much of a run in the midfield due to GCS bursting with many midfielders. Has been stuck on the HHF for a lot of the time. Had one stand-out game against Geelong IIRC. Was sub last two weeks but started in the team today.

Collingwood need to be smart. We already have the hardest piece in our midfield to get. A genuine generational talent that can win games in Naicos. We need to be smart and recruit wisely around that. Role players, In and Under player. Players that can rip a game apart to take focus off Naicos. if we go the route of Nick is enough and not build around him with intelligence its an absolute waste.

Collingwood need to be smart. We already have the hardest piece in our midfield to get. A genuine generational talent that can win games in Naicos. We need to be smart and recruit wisely around that. Role players, In and Under player. Players that can rip a game apart to take focus off Naicos. if we go the route of Nick is enough and not build around him with intelligence its an absolute waste.

Brodie is that in and under player IMO.

Don’t think there will legitimately be a better inside player potentially available at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The player I’m keen on given our clearance issues, the load on Nick, plus the ages of Mitchell and to a lesser extent Pendles is Will Brodie.

Can’t get a look in at Freo. But he’s still been tearing it up in the WAFL.

Given Freo signed him up at the start of 2023 to a big contract through to end of 2026, they’d likely give him up for peanuts. Heck they might even upgrade some of our picks in the process to off load his contract.

He’ll only be 26 at the start of next year too.
Jesus Christ! I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned Wil Brodie so well done. Not at the Courtney Johns could be anything level but well on his way. Just no.

Collingwood’s draft problem​

Collingwood used a future first-round pick last year to secure Lachie Schultz from Fremantle. It felt unwise at the time, but the logic was that they got a future second-round pick back from Hawthorn for Jack Ginnivan, so really Collingwood’s first pick in the draft would only slide back as far as lowly Hawthorn’s second. Or so the thinking went.

But what if that doesn’t happen? Well, now we know. Collingwood play Hawthorn next week and the Hawks would be favourite to win. This isn’t a moment of ships passing in the night so much as draft picks passing in the daylight.
Collingwood are in danger of missing the eight and Fremantle are now likely to have a top 10 draft pick this year for losing a small forward.
What has made the trade more uncomfortable for Collingwood is that for whatever reason – injuries to those around him, difficulties fitting into the structure – Schultz has not played to the level he showed at Fremantle in recent years. His sub-par year means that presently, if Collingwood had a fully fit list, Schultz would struggle to be in their best 22. A top-10 pick is a big price to pay for that.

Collingwood’s draft problem​

Collingwood used a future first-round pick last year to secure Lachie Schultz from Fremantle. It felt unwise at the time, but the logic was that they got a future second-round pick back from Hawthorn for Jack Ginnivan, so really Collingwood’s first pick in the draft would only slide back as far as lowly Hawthorn’s second. Or so the thinking went.

But what if that doesn’t happen? Well, now we know. Collingwood play Hawthorn next week and the Hawks would be favourite to win. This isn’t a moment of ships passing in the night so much as draft picks passing in the daylight.
Collingwood are in danger of missing the eight and Fremantle are now likely to have a top 10 draft pick this year for losing a small forward.
What has made the trade more uncomfortable for Collingwood is that for whatever reason – injuries to those around him, difficulties fitting into the structure – Schultz has not played to the level he showed at Fremantle in recent years. His sub-par year means that presently, if Collingwood had a fully fit list, Schultz would struggle to be in their best 22. A top-10 pick is a big price to pay for that.

Just shows how bad that Trade was

The difference between you and me is I have perspective, and don’t use revisionism to bag the club.

Grundy - I actually didn’t want him traded. But I am first to admit Cox and Cameron filled the breech and we won the flag.
But please show me how we could have saved $650 x 5 years in another ways to increase our cap space while retaining him.

Ginnivan - I absolutely believe he has high Footy IQ. But he’s a showy pony - who may never develop Shooters strengths, despite your insistence to the contrary. And while in the flag window getting a far more committed player was a sound decision.

Adams - most here thought he was cooked. Now your hindsight says, we should have kept him, but I guarantee you’d have no qualms today had we not had injuries. Similarly with Henry - did we miss him last year? Now with injuries you lament his loss as a trading mistake.
Help me understand how holding fast and putting into the PSD would have helped the club?

As to the dynasty Clubs - they all spent years at the bottom of the ladder collecting 1st rd picks and talent.
Coll as a Club never bottoms out - but nonetheless continues to contend.

If you think my having perspective is Spin then that’s your issue.

As too following the Club line - just go back and see how critical I was about trading Grundy.

You will notice I never criticise thoughtful, logical and rational posts.
It’s those using hindsight, revisionism or vacuous argument ignoring facts, (eg Hine critics) to bag the club that get my attention.
You really think highly of yourself, don’t you.

If the whole team was playing better, I'm guessing he would be too. And no one would be complaining about the 'trade'.
But we are not which is why people are complaining with the high price we will be paying. Gambling with an unknown finish position is fraught with danger. Something we should have been aware of after doing the same mistake in Daicos draft year where GWS got our future first which I believe was pick 2 or 3? Could have got Daicos and another gun

But we are not which is why people are complaining with the high price we will be paying. Gambling with an unknown finish position is fraught with danger. Something we should have been aware of after doing the same mistake in Daicos draft year where GWS got our future first which I believe was pick 2 or 3? Could have got Daicos and another gun
Yeah righto. I'm just totally bored with the same old whining about what's happened in the past.

We have Schultz. That deal is done.

The season is still going. I'm concentrating on round 19.

Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back