Catsace

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
It's an old term, and maybe I'm showing my age here since I've watched footy since the mid 70's. But over the years and particularly in the earlier eras, there was always the player who you'd deem a real 'Hungus', a player who'd rather die than give up a shot at goal, someone who'd do the U-turn rather than look to pass off, the one who you'd never expect to get a handball receive from.

From my earliest memories Paul Sarah was probably one who enjoyed a goal for Geelong in the late 70's, Gary Sr could have been deemed one as well, but he was genuinely good enough to justify his hungus-ness. Bruce Lindner was a forward who would like a shot at goal like few others in the Devine era, and I recall a taller version, Brett Spinks who in 1998 would often take his shots from 55-60m out to avail of his quite strong leg, but perhaps not always for the betterment of the side.

Who else in other sides over the years might qualify as such a player? I guess Kevin Bartlett's nickname 'Hungry' wasn't just for show, and he kicked almost as many behinds as his 778 goals over the years. Fans of other sides, who might be the more recognised Hunguses from your experiences watching footy over the years?

P.S...I always believed it was Hungus, could it also have been spelled Hungas?

“There has been too much violence. Too much pain. None here are without sin. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.“

Lord Humungus

Never heard of the term and I am in my 50s.
In this day and age, we would use the term "selfish" and not a team player.

So the one that comes to mind is Bayley Fritsch.

Never heard the term “hungus”. Just “hungry”.

And to correct the OP, KB kicked more behinds than goals across his career.

In 1978 he kicked 1.8 in a 77 point win over Carlton, and in 1974 2.8 out of 15.26 v Fitzroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Classic 'Hunguses'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back