Coach Chris Scott - coach of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whether it is this year or next, or the one after, or the one after that, I just know Scotty has another flag in him, which will unequivocally cement his legacy as one the very top coaches the game has ever seen.

With all things considered (including that the Tigers popped up for only a few years and managed to win 3, and that the Hawks have been no where near as dominant as the Cats, but have the same number of flags since 2000, etc.) it almost feels justified that this club deserves at least one more flag to more accurately reflect just how dominant they have been this century.

Definitely deserves more kudos.

Cats the best run club in the comp by far. That’s why other clubs won’t be able to replicate the gravity defying feats.

Coach of the year typically goes to the side that jumps the most on the ladder from the year before, usually to a semi final or better
Currently its:

C.Scott +11
Longmire +6
Longmuir +6
Hardwick +6
B.Scott +4
Simpson +3
Goodwin +2
Kingsley =
Hinkley =
Mitchell -1
Clarkson -1
Voss -2
Beveridge -2
Nicks -2
Yze -3
Lyon -7
McRae -9
Fagan -11

So it should be C.Scott but not a done deal. If Gold Coast/Essendon make a semi (winning a final) their coaches will make a strong case

There's more to being coach of the year than just having the best team, otherwise the coach of the year award is defunct and you may as well just give it to the premiership coach every year, which is already a different medal. It's not as simple as that.

It's relative to what the club is doing, relative to improvement and expectations, and a host of other factors.

So far in 2024, for Geelong to be undefeated so far after missing finals last year, I think there's no doubt Chris Scott is currently the coach of the year and front runner for that award. The way they're going about it too is very impressive.

We're about 1/3 of the way through though so it's early days, but if someone is leading at this point it's him.

Whether it is this year or next, or the one after, or the one after that, I just know Scotty has another flag in him, which will unequivocally cement his legacy as one the very top coaches the game has ever seen.

With all things considered (including that the Tigers popped up for only a few years and managed to win 3, and that the Hawks have been no where near as dominant as the Cats, but have the same number of flags since 2000, etc.) it almost feels justified that this club deserves at least one more flag to more accurately reflect just how dominant they have been this century.
Scott has two flags left in him I reckon which would make him our greatest ever coach.
I know Tasmania want him to be their first coach, but I really hope he rejects them.

Scott has two flags left in him I reckon which would make him our greatest ever coach.
I know Tasmania want him to be their first coach, but I really hope he rejects them.
Yep, I was one of his critics after all those impotent finals losses, but looking back, I think he probably got the best out of what we had at the time. The way he has reinvented this current team is mighty impressive. A team much more equipped to handle pressure under the finals heat. Another 2 flags would be bloody unbelievable. Heres hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back