Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
Selection No.46: Chris Kangars
DOB: 1/08/1989
Height: 193.1cm
Weight: 84.9kg
Recruited From: Geelong Falcons
Position: Tall defender
Bio: Developing player with good leg speed and aerobic capacity. Impressive in negating roles for Vic Country in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Was the No 1 ranked player for the repeat sprint test with a time of 23.59sec at the NAB AFL Draft Camp. From Geelong Amateurs.

Re: Rookie - Chris Kangars

Yeah, I think he's from Geelong

That Geelong article has got it wrong, I think you'll find another respective article on the site contradicting that (and confirming that the Kangars we're talking about is the now ex-Falcon).

What I have posted is straight from the Geelong website

Yeah, they have it wrong.

Kangars was born in '89, and is a 193cm, 85 or so kg key position player from the Geelong Falcons. Most likely to be a super athletic key defender at AFL level. Extremely quick - won the repeat sprints at the draft camp in a canter and has a better 400m PB than Cathy Freeman - and I think finished top 10 in beep test and 3km time trial as well so has a great engine.

Downside is that he can't kick, but he's young so if we can teach him to hit targets consistently by foot despite not exactly doing it in Nathan Buckley style (a la Egan), he could be a star.

Compliments from Inside Football:

"A real athlete who is very raw in terms of football development but he has a better 400 metres time than Cathy Freeman and has endurance on top of that. Could play a variety of roles but is best suited to a lock-down role on a hard running forward like a Nick Riewoldt type". - Geelong Falcons Coach Garry Hocking

Pre Season
Height 192.50cm
Weight 83.70cm
5m 1.02sec
20m 2.93sec
Agility 8.28
Shuttle 14.0
VJ 74cm
Repeat Sprints N/A

At Draft Camp
Height 193.10cm
Weight 84.90kg
5m 1.11
20m 3.04
Agility 8.68
Shuttle 14.5
VJ 66
Repeat Sprints 23.59

Very surprised we were able to pick up this kid as a third rnd rookie pick when he was touted by some to be as high as a second rnd draft pick.

We are in a no lose situation. The kid is obviously a great athlete; if he is able to develop his football skills over the next two years sufficiently he could be a beauty.

The way I see it we have taken with Harry Taylor, Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna and now Chris Kangars four tall potential key position players. If one or even two of them are able to come through and be 150 game plus players then this draft has been a huge success. Particularly seeing our first pick was 17. It is almost like the recruiting staff are working on the law of averages. Draft enough tall talent and you should get, if you pick well, some serious long term KP players for the future.

Very surprised we were able to pick up this kid as a third rnd rookie pick when he was touted by some to be as high as a second rnd draft pick.

We are in a no lose situation. The kid is obviously a great athlete; if he is able to develop his football skills over the next two years sufficiently he could be a beauty.

The way I see it we have taken with Harry Taylor, Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna and now Chris Kangars four tall potential key position players. If one or even two of them are able to come through and be 150 game plus players then this draft has been a huge success. Particularly seeing our first pick was 17. It is almost like the recruiting staff are working on the law of averages. Draft enough tall talent and you should get, if you pick well, some serious long term KP players for the future.

Very well put. Geelong have been very considered this draft in realising the limitations of their draft picks and making the best of the situation. Too often I have heard the reigning premiers saying...oh we never expected etc...Geelong could have very well said all that with Mc Kenna and Kangars...but have just gone quietly about their business and have probably jagged a couple of potential beauties in the process.

The only thing we differ on is that I dont expect Harry Taylor to become a legitimate KPP at the top level. Third mobile tall...sure...but thats it. In the modern game there could be times he plays at CHF or CHB...but he wont be playing tose positions in the tradional way, just to suit a team balance need.

Overall I think this is a draft we will look back on and say, this is why we have kept ourselves in the top half of the ladder for so long...

18434me4.jpg

just giving everyone as heads up....but his younger brother will be training with the u/16 falcons squad this summer.

probably not as good but i can tell ya..HE'S FAST!! and a good bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back