callaghan for carr - another trading blunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2000
melbourne (saints)
i think the saints have clearly won in this deal. callaghan has been very impressive in his pre season games and in our win last night. his toughness at the ball is fantastic. on the small colonial ground his ability to contest and win the footy will be an absolute bonus for us.

he will be another docker that goes on and plays good footy at another club, surely that hurts you guys.

i will let you form your own opinions about matty carr and once you do you will realise that your club has made another trading blunder.

shame about last night, i was spewing you didn't beat those vile blues.

Hardly.
Carr is a key position player that played well on and beat one of Carltons premire forwards in Lappin.
Dirty harry is and always will be in my opion a loss to the club.But the fact remains we had 5 other dirty harrys, 4 of which are better players.
Haselby,Cook,Fletcher and Bell are all Callaghan type players.He was forced to play in the forward pocket because simply he wasnt needed in our midfield.

Carr is an great assest and plugged a hole in our defence.He has slick skills and gives us allot of drive from half back.

Like i said Callahagn was a good player and a player you need at your club.But not required at ours, we already have 4 of the premire in and under players in the league.

Callaghan will be a loss for us, He added a toughness that we seemed all to often to lack.

I thought we had made a blunder swapping Callaghan for Carr but based on Carr's performances so far he seems like he will do well.

Only time will tell I suppose.

I know Neesham was a huge fan of Callaghan because of his toughness towards the ball and his ability to be able to make quick impacts on games.

I don't think Drum gave Callaghan a fair go, I recall him playing a lot of Westar games, so maybe the chance for him to be at a new club and surroundings might of been the change he was after.

I don't know much about Carr to judge, will watch out for him next week.

sabre

no offense mate but which of freo's players is not in your opinion a champion, or potential champion ????

Have you thought of doing a correlation between your assesment of the freo playing list and the number of games they actually win ?

I would have Dirty Harry any day.

ptw

Originally posted by ptw:
sabre

no offense mate but which of freo's players is not in your opinion a champion, or potential champion ????

Have you thought of doing a correlation between your assesment of the freo playing list and the number of games they actually win ?

I would have Dirty Harry any day.

ptw

No offence taken
Here are freo potential or champions:
Haselby: Best young midfielder in the comp all the makings of the next Harvey
Pavlich:Rivals Tredra as the next big thing at half forward.
Brown:Best young backman by a mile
Bell:Absolute champion

That is my opinion and most people will agree with me.
Like i said earlier Drity Harry is a great player, but he simply wasnt required.Most teams only need 3 or four of those players.We have more than enough, he may do well at another team.But we simply didnt need him.Bell, Haselby,Cook and Fletcher all have far more to offer than he did.

Go eagles Nessham was a big fan of Drum, but Neesham didnt have Cook, Haselby and Bell in his side.

Carr on the other hand is a player we need.We have a desperate shortage of backman at the club and he was the answer.
Currently if you compare the 2 players on there skills and value callaghan comes out on top.
But in terms of value to the club, I can only comment from a freo perspecitve.Callaghan would still be in the reserves or forward pocket if he was still at the club.Yes that may have been a waste but he wouldnt have been able to break his way into the midfield.

Originally posted by sabre_ac:
Hardly.
Carr is a key position player that played well on and beat one of Carltons premire forwards in Lappin..

Lappin kicked 3 goals, probably the difference between the two teams

Please please tell me all you wise men from the east just who are all these so called stars who have left our club and become so succesful at other clubs.I really am interested to find out. I agree that Dirty Harry is a good player but had been at the Dockers for 6 years and spent a lot of time injured.I really hope he can make it but he had time to prove himself here.Is he not out injured now this is his second week in a row out!!!!!!!!!!!
Carr is a player who has returned home and has been in our best players evey week so far so who has won the battle so far?

Originally posted by StrengthThroughLoyalty
i think the saints have clearly won in this deal. callaghan has been very impressive in his pre season games and in our win last night. his toughness at the ball is fantastic. on the small colonial ground his ability to contest and win the footy will be an absolute bonus for us.

he will be another docker that goes on and plays good footy at another club, surely that hurts you guys.

i will let you form your own opinions about matty carr and once you do you will realise that your club has made another trading blunder.

shame about last night, i was spewing you didn't beat those vile blues.

At the end of the day I think Freo got the better end of the deal !!!

Originally posted by sabre_ac
Here are freo potential or champions:

Brown:Best young backman by a mile

Fair dinkum sabre - you need to get a new calander ! Its 2003 - Brown's playing for the roos now mate !!

Also, just in. Modra has retired, Peter Mann is gone, and Black is playing for the saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Au_Blue#24
Fair dinkum sabre - you need to get a new calander ! Its 2003 - Brown's playing for the roos now mate !!

Also, just in. Modra has retired, Peter Mann is gone, and Black is playing for the saints.

I am going to presume your tounge is firmly in your cheek here....

Originally posted by Au_Blue#24

Maybe you can buy him one and look at it first. Check the original date he posted that....

Remove this Banner Ad

callaghan for carr - another trading blunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back