Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
Read in today's paper over here(Daily Telegraph if anyone's interested) that Arsenal have bugger all money to spend this summer.

Apparently Wenger thas accepted the situation & is content to stick with his current squad or finance new recruits by selling, although just about the only player who would raise any decent money who isn't a player that we have to keep is Franny Jeffers

Even the new contract talks for Vieira & Pires could go wrong as they aren't going to be able to get the kind of raises that they probably expect.

It's all abit of a shame that just as we have probably the best side in our history, & under normal cicrcumstances we would have enough money to make the kind of signings that we need ie new golaie & new centre back, that the new Stadium proiject is eating into our transfer funds.

I would be more confident taking into account the number of fine young players we have coming through if it wasn't for the fact that AW is very cautious when putting them into the first team.

Well next season it has to be now or never for the older ones of this current crop.

If we go into next season with the present central defenders then we'll win nothing of that I'm sure.

Originally posted by DIPPER
Read in today's paper over here(Daily Telegraph if anyone's interested) that Arsenal have bugger all money to spend this summer.

Apparently Wenger thas accepted the situation & is content to stick with his current squad or finance new recruits by selling, although just about the only player who would raise any decent money who isn't a player that we have to keep is Franny Jeffers

Even the new contract talks for Vieira & Pires could go wrong as they aren't going to be able to get the kind of raises that they probably expect.

I would be more confident taking into account the number of fine young players we have coming through if it wasn't for the fact that AW is very cautious when putting them into the first team.

Well next season it has to be now or never for the older ones of this current crop.

If we go into next season with the present central defenders then we'll win nothing of that I'm sure.
It's all abit of a shame that just as we have probably the best side in our history, & under normal cicrcumstances we would have enough money to make the kind of signings that we need ie new golaie & new centre back, that the new Stadium proiject is eating into our transfer funds.
gee,thats pretty bad,Arsenal are a real quality team and it would just break the soccer world (and me ) to see them go down due to cash shortage, im an arsenal supporter and i would give them every cent i have to get them up and runnging again.

yeh true about the best side in history bit, they is the most respected soccer team in the world now.every player and manager in the soccer world have them held in high regard, all teams come out holding ther opponents in high a regard more so when they play arsenal.

How did this happen?

I thought that Arsenal's finances were pretty sound and that they hadn't wasted heaps in the transfer market. The only thing I can think of is the continual failure to reach the business end of the Champions League or they've over extended themselves on the new stadium and training facilities.

It will defenitely cost Wegner any shot at European glory as you need to replace some ageing stock in the side.

In the short term, the money problems shouldn't affect Arsenal's performances in the Premiership. They've always kept a tight wage structure and Wenger has done well without having to spend too much money. As Leeds have shown under O'Leary and United have done in the last 18 months, spending money does not translate into silverware. The other thing is that in most seasons, there are two title challengers, so as long as Arsenal can keep a squad that can beat the 18 other clubs and break even in their games against the other challenger, they will be thereabouts for the championship for the next few years.

Where it may hurt them is in Europe where it seems that the clubs with money to spend are the ones that have built up squads who can get to the knock out stages. If these clubs start offerring the money to Arsenal and inflated wages to the player, they will find it hard to hold onto them (as what had happened with Petit and Overmars the other year).

Re: Re: Arsenal Skint

Originally posted by diamondback43
gee,thats pretty bad,Arsenal are a real quality team and it would just break the soccer world (and me ) to see them go down due to cash shortage, im an arsenal supporter and i would give them every cent i have to get them up and runnging again.

yeh true about the best side in history bit, they is the most respected soccer team in the world now.every player and manager in the soccer world have them held in high regard, all teams come out holding ther opponents in high a regard more so when they play arsenal.

Pure comedy gold!

Originally posted by The Blues
Dipper,
Is this because Arsenal actually don't have money or is it that all their money has be re-directed at the stadium?

It's all the Stadium no question about it.

They're talking about Chelsea being crippled with debts of approx £90M & Leeds potentially going into recievership with their debts (what is it now £70m?) & Arsenal are looking at securing loans of about £350m.

To me it's too scary to contemplate plus I don't think it really makes sense, obviously we're desperate for the extra revenue that 22,000 more fans at each game will bring in but from what I've read Arsenal presently bring in £25m per year through gate reciepts & optimistic estimates put the income from the new stadium at £40m.So that's £15m more a year but that's against paying back a £350m loan over about 15 years, minus what we make from the flats that are built at Highbury & the money we make from building on the land around the new stadium which will probably come to £100m, no more than £150m I would have thought.
So if we have to pay back £250m over 15 years then that's about £16.5 m per year excluding interest which wipes out the extra revenue.So ok in 20 years time we're making more money but who knows how football will be viewed then?We may all be into an indoor sport where a load of blokes go around on roller skates & motor bikes & smash each other in the head with spiked gloves & try to ram a solid steel ball into a little hole at each end of the court.

We should try to move into Wembley again, the FA are even more skint than we are.

It saddems me because no club has balanced it's books better or made more of relatively modest transfer spending than us over the last 6 years or so.Now it could all be ruined in the short term.

It saddems me because no club has balanced it's books better or made more of relatively modest transfer spending than us over the last 6 years or so.Now it could all be ruined in the short term.
Yeah, very good point. As an outsider, Arsenal have looked superb financially both on and off the pitch in recent years. Thats why this stadium puzzles me a bit. Especially when, as you said, it looks like the new Wembley may be in need of a full time tenant to balance it's books. To me that seems like the obvious choice.

The other, and this is something English clubs will eventually have to get used to, is ground sharing. I know you guys just don't like the idea but at the end of the day, in football, like any business, money talks. And, if sharing with your biggest rival means an extra 7 million (very wild guess) every year to spend in the transfer market or on youths, well then its surely worthwhile.

The other, and this is something English clubs will eventually have to get used to, is ground sharing. I know you guys just don't like the idea but at the end of the day, in football, like any business, money talks

Yeah well mate I'll maybe think about sharing with the Yids when the Gaelic sports' boys over there let the rugby team use the newly redevelped Croke Park.;)

I think this is so much Daily Torygraph beat-up BS.

Yeah we're building a new stadium off Holloway Rd (about 1/2 a mile from Highbury) and we need it to compete on the 'bums on seats' level with the biggest clubs in Europe (Barca, Real, the Milanese clubs and Munich among others)... Highbury's capacity is in the mid 30s I think and is pretty much sold out week in week out - (we're got a lot of supporters in London and need more of an attendance factor to bankroll further acquisitions).

But, we are hardly skint in the context of European or English football. I expect Wenger to buy one or two defensive options in the next open window period to replace Keown, Seaman (age) and Pascal (s8ite). Taylor is doing fine in goal but personally I'd like to see the big friendly Turk in goal. Lauren, Cole and Sol are all very fine contributors - Keown has been but is now at the end of his career.

Mark my words, money will be spend and spend well (no 29m squid insanity though). Wenger will look at the Spanish, French and African set ups and find one or two who will cost bugger all - sure occasionally he misses (Pascal) but not too often guys...

Finally, Dipper, show some nerve buddy - we haven't lost the league or the FA Cup just yet k'now... Personally I saw Newcastle as our biggest worry until last weekend - MAn U have a tough run, similar worries over aging players and other targets to worry about (Real Madrid for one - best of luck in Madrid tonight Becks - get used to the surroundings dude!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posteed by The Dutchman!

Highbury's capacity is in the mid 30s I think and is pretty much sold out week in week out ..............

Mark my words, money will be spend and spend well (no 29m squid insanity though). Wenger will look at the Spanish, French and African set ups and find one or two who will cost bugger all - sure occasionally he misses (Pascal) but not too often guys...

Interesting stuff from obviously an Arsenal supporter who doesn't know too much about his own bloody club. The capacity at Highbury is 44,000 (give or take 1,000 & =4th largest in Epl behind Old Trafford, St. James & Anfield). Arsenal need to move from Highbury to Holloway Rd because they will never be successful in Europe until the play regularly on a larger pitch. Highbury is the smallest pitch in the EPL and the Champions League. The comment of bums on seats is interesting because the move is also about increasing corporate capacity at the ground which is minimual at the momment.

I find the comment on not missing too many more intreging (for my spelling half tanked) as Wegner is yet to buy a half-decent centre back and is up to 3 so far. People remember success and shocking failures in the transfer market but not much else. Wegner has been no angel though. Admitedly his record is probably better than Ferguson's but it is not squeaky clean either.

mid 30's to 43-44. And that makes me ignorant of my club? Do you actually think that comment is relevant? ie: do you actually think we're not getting a new stadium to get more supporters (corporate or otherwise) and hence their cash seeing home games? In your view of the universe do Corporate types generally not have bums to put on seats or are they required to stand up?

Thanks for your relevant, pertinent, informed and useful criticism...:rolleyes: This from the guy that would have Chris Sutton in his team of the decade?

Further, you will note I actively chose not to compare Highbury capacity to English clubs because their capacity's are relatively smaller (except Old Trafford - 66 or 69K yes?) compared to say Nou Camp... so your observations here are also fairly baffling.

I think without the Commonwealth Games Man City would have been at Maine Road for ever. I think the smaller boutique stadiums are affordable but for clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Man City all looking to increase capacity from their current levels the costs are just enormous.

I don't know where the Kings Dock plans are at with Everton and Liverpool ground sharing but it makes plenty of sense to me. Great location for a football ground, and at least the two clubs will have a bit of money left to keep their teams competitive.

Back to Arsenal, I appreciate that there is not a lot of money left, and that you need a replacement for Keown. It just so happens that we have one or two central defenders available on the cheap at the end of the season. Shall we say a Howey for Pennant swap, or would you prefer Dunne for Parlour? :);)

Moomba

Originally posted by Slax
Interesting stuff from obviously an Arsenal supporter who doesn't know too much about his own bloody club. The capacity at Highbury is 44,000 (give or take 1,000 & =4th largest in Epl behind Old Trafford, St. James & Anfield). Arsenal need to move from Highbury to Holloway Rd because they will never be successful in Europe until the play regularly on a larger pitch. Highbury is the smallest pitch in the EPL and the Champions League. The comment of bums on seats is interesting because the move is also about increasing corporate capacity at the ground which is minimual at the momment.

Arsenals capacity is 38 thou, that is all Highbury now holds, been like that for years. It`s 33 for European games. Size of pitch has nothing to do with it, it`s finishing teams off.

Originally posted by The Dutchman!
I think this is so much Daily Torygraph beat-up BS.

Yeah we're building a new stadium off Holloway Rd (about 1/2 a mile from Highbury) and we need it to compete on the 'bums on seats' level with the biggest clubs in Europe (Barca, Real, the Milanese clubs and Munich among others)... Highbury's capacity is in the mid 30s I think and is pretty much sold out week in week out - (we're got a lot of supporters in London and need more of an attendance factor to bankroll further acquisitions).

But, we are hardly skint in the context of European or English football. I expect Wenger to buy one or two defensive options in the next open window period to replace Keown, Seaman (age) and Pascal (s8ite). Taylor is doing fine in goal but personally I'd like to see the big friendly Turk in goal. Lauren, Cole and Sol are all very fine contributors - Keown has been but is now at the end of his career.

Finally, Dipper, show some nerve buddy - we haven't lost the league or the FA Cup just yet k'now... Personally I saw Newcastle as our biggest worry until last weekend - MAn U have a tough run, similar worries over aging players and other targets to worry about (Real Madrid for one - best of luck in Madrid tonight Becks - get used to the surroundings dude!).

Well as for being a 'Torygraph' beat up I don't think so, costs on the Stadium have risen markedly since it they first announced it, originally it was meant to cost about £200m with projections that we'd get a lot of that back through the development of Highbury & the land around the new Stadium in King's cross.Costs have risen to a about £350m now & that doesn't count the £40m that we've already spent.

They unequivicably told us that it wouldn't affect transfer funds(although everyone I spoke to wondered how it couldn't) & at last they have actually admitted that it will affect them for this summer as it quite clearly did last summer when we had to shop at the bargain basement department.(we were desperate for Hofland & Van Bommel & couldn't afford fees of £10m & £8m so we got Cyagn & Gilberto instead).

When you see how much a club like Newcastle are shelling out on transfer fees it hits home how we are lacking cash to spend, we've been in CL for the last 6 years,we've brought in huge amounts from Overmars/Anelka & we have spent relatively little since AW came, it's a testimony to how well the club has been managed I just think it's a shame that when we have the potential for a great side that we won't be able to add to it as we otherwise would.Plus I think loans of £350 m are very very risky in the current climate, the world economy is still in downturn & projected growth in the UK is falling.

As for me lacking nerve, well i admit to being worried, I've got this horrible sickly feeling in my stomach whenever I think about, I don't worry about the Cup I'm confident there, but if we don't win the league it would destroy me, we should have won it this season we've been the best side but if we don't pull through it will be due to a few very obvious & very avoidable decisions by the manager who let's face it has been superb for the most part but getting rid of Upson(& still playing Cygan) & no cover for Cole are awful decisons.
Still if you gave me a £1m to bet on who I think will win the title I'd still put it on us but it should never have ended up like this.

I am suprised Arsenal didn't build up quite a surplus of cash after all the Inamoto shirt sales. :p

I think they should put off moving to Ashburton Grove, they certainly have a lot of history at Highbury and should probably put the new stadium off until they have the finances 100%

Yeah well mate I'll maybe think about sharing with the Yids when the Gaelic sports' boys over there let the rugby team use the newly redevelped Croke Park.;)

I'd have no problem with Croke Park being opened as long as the price was right. Thats my point. Money talks. The GAA are hardly going to let them in for the good of their health when the FAI & IRFU have contributed NOTHING to the building of the stadium.

Before I point out what I see the situation to be I'll just say that my stance on the issue is that Croke Park should be opened up on a limited basis for a generous amount of money.

Situation: 3 sporting organisations in 1 country. 2 ground share 1 old ground in bad need of repair. 1 owns another which badly needed to be redeveloped. ALL 3 got/get government funding.
2 did nothing. 1 built a stadium. The 1 that built a stadium is now being asked to bail the other 2 out by media etc. The other 2 along with government have been blathering on about another staium for years, Nothing has happened.

Thats the short version. What do you think is the fair and right outcome?

One thing I will say is that the GAA owe nobody bar their members anything and are far more capable an organisation than I've ever come across in my country or yours. Honestly.

Dipper, you might enjoy this. I am directly lifting it from a GAA forum where I read it a good few months back. I think its very good and in a way describes how alot of (us) GAA members/players feel.

... I couldn't help but be reminded of when I was a younger man, having never even known there was such a thing as Raymond Smith, when the weight of my literature was printed, not by Picador or Gill and McMillan, but Ladybird books.
I enjoyed all their output, but I think the work that stayed with me the longest was the tale of the Little Red Hen. It's been years as I say, but as I remember there was this little red hen who got hungry one day so, rather than sit on her ar5e and moan about it, she decided to bake herself a cake.

Now, baking a cake isn't as easy as it sounds, so she called around to a few of the other animals on the farm, to see if they'd give her a dig out in baking the cake. No dice anywhere she went - they were sitting in as a classic episode of Friends was on that night, or they were going to Tai Chi classes, or looking at a new house in Leixlip, or any other damn thing bar helping the little red hen bake her cake.

Fair enough - again, rather than whining, the little red hen went off to the shops, bought the needful, and settled down to baking the cake.

After a few hours, the cake was ready and all set to go down the hatch. How happy the little red hen was as she laid the table! The teapot here, the plate there, the ten Major for afterwards and all the rest of it. But, what do you think, didn't she hear a knock at the door.

She opened the door and outside she saw all the other farmyard animals, that were meant to be watching Friends, or learning Tai Chi, or mapping Leixlip. You see they'd got a sniff of the beautiful smell of the lovely baking bread from the little red hen's house, and they fancied some of that. So, bold as brass, the bowled around to the little red hen's house, and asked her for a slice of her cake.

The little red hen told the whole lot of them to go and fcuk off for themselves. There wasn't sight nor light of a mangy one of them when the work had to be done, and now here they were thinking they could roll around to her house expecting to get fat and full from her hard work? By Christ but she put a flea in many an ear that evening.

Just reminded of that last night. Don't know why.

Situation: 3 sporting organisations in 1 country. 2 ground share 1 old ground in bad need of repair. 1 owns another which badly needed to be redeveloped. ALL 3 got/get government funding.
2 did nothing. 1 built a stadium. The 1 that built a stadium is now being asked to bail the other 2 out by media etc. The other 2 along with government have been blathering on about another staium for years, Nothing has happened.

Wembley is now under redevelopment and will be completed for the 2005 FA Cup final.

Millenium stadium was actually rebuilt by the Welsh Rugby Association not the Welsh FA as you might have us believe.

Scotland is another matter, agreed it is a tired old stadium that doesn't seem to be having anything done to upgrade it. But look at Scottish football it is shocking and has no money. I believe that they should seriously look at following the Welsh example and ground share with the SRU in Edinburgh. it's a nice stadium with good facilities.

Originally posted by Slax
Wembley is now under redevelopment and will be completed for the 2005 FA Cup final.

Millenium stadium was actually rebuilt by the Welsh Rugby Association not the Welsh FA as you might have us believe.

Scotland is another matter, agreed it is a tired old stadium that doesn't seem to be having anything done to upgrade it. But look at Scottish football it is shocking and has no money. I believe that they should seriously look at following the Welsh example and ground share with the SRU in Edinburgh. it's a nice stadium with good facilities.

What in the name God are you talking about? :confused: :D Wembley, Wales, Scotland?!?!?!

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but the 3 organisations I was referring to were all IRISH. Namely, GAA, IRFU and FAI. Maybe my posts might make a bit more sense to you now.

Regarding your 3 points.
- I know about Wembley. Whether its delivered on time is another matter altogether.
- As you will have noted from above, I did not even try to suggest the Millenium stadium was built by the Welsh FA. On a related point though, I firmly believe the building of it to such a scale was a mistake. The money could and should have been spent elsewhere. Exibit A - The current state of Welsh Rugby. But thats OK cause their losing in a lovely stadium!!
- I'll also make a point about Scottish Stadiums. For a country of its size it has 4 fantastic stadiums. Murrayfield, Celtic Pk and Hamden have all recently been redeveloped and Ibrox is a fine stadium if maybe a bit older. The problem in Scotland is that maybe they could do with 1 less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arsenal Skint

Remove this Banner Ad

Back