Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/27/327635_gold-coast-titans.html

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/titans-fans-missing-in-action/story-e6frep5x-1226100472019

Already in their first year, and a wooden spoon year, the suns appear to have, or be seriouslly close to, taking over the Gold Coast in just 12 months.

Many people questioned the AFL going into rugby heartlands in Queensland and NSW, but it seems we're 1/1 atm.

So how is GWS going to look this time next year? Already 12k foundation members a great effort, a GREAT looking stadium (I love the jungle vibe under the stands). They will probably have a much harder AFL innitiation than the Suns, what kind of crowds are they gonna get? In General how is GWS going to do off field over the next couple of years.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-taking-the-fight-to-gws-20110907-1jxu3.html

Seems it will be a lot harder this time?

Well considering the AFL literally drown the GCS in money, it isn't surprising that the Titans who are stand alone are going to get demolished.

http://www.sydneyshowground.com.au/corporate/designs.html

Looks to have a forest type thing under the stands, closed off by glass which would look really sick walking around the outside and create a great feel
I reckon that will look pretty good. Guessing they'd play "Welcome to the Jungle" a fair bit then haha.

To be fair, it was our first season. If after another season our attendance stays around the figures of 2011, with the Titans still having to rely on boosting crowd figures, then I'd say we'd have "won the first war".

• Banned
I reckon that will look pretty good. Guessing they'd play "Welcome to the Jungle" a fair bit then haha.

To be fair, it was our first season. If after another season our attendance stays around the figures of 2011, with the Titans still having to rely on boosting crowd figures, then I'd say we'd have "won the first war".

Hopefully GC crowds continue to grow next year and beyond as exposure and on field success grows. How long can the seating capacity stay at 25k?

Hopefully GC crowds continue to grow next year and beyond as exposure and on field success grows. How long can the seating capacity stay at 25k?
The commonwealth games 2018 announcement is in a few days, and if we win (which is likely) I would think development or at least plans would begin for expanding the stadium at the river end.

Would u be more likely to buy a newspaper if it said CODE WAR - AFL V NRL or - competition for supporters, AFL v NRL

Neither.
Newspapers these days are full of 'personality' crap.
Who cares if Warney is bonking Hurley etc.
I don't buy them.
Just read headlines online that I see as being newsworthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commonwealth games 2018 announcement is in a few days, and if we win (which is likely) I would think development or at least plans would begin for expanding the stadium at the river end.

is that the side with the scoreboard and u can see the shop behind it? that part really lets down metricom imo, looks unproffessional and unfinished. Hopefully it can be filled in soon

Well considering the AFL literally drown the GCS in money, it isn't surprising that the Titans who are stand alone are going to get demolished.

There was no expense spared by Michael Searle & his cohorts (& the State Government) when they set up the Titans. From recruiting a big name like Scott Prince, to the building of Skilled Park & subsequently the 'Centre of Excellence', the Titans have had every advantage the Suns have been given by the AFL. On top of this the Gold Coast Bulletin & Channel 9 Gold Coast have given plenty of coverage to the Titans in their formative years.

is that the side with the scoreboard and u can see the shop behind it? that part really lets down metricom imo, looks unproffessional and unfinished. Hopefully it can be filled in soon
yeah that's the side. I quite like it, original compared to all the other stadiums, but that's going to change if the expansion goes ahead. there's been an artist's representation of what they visualise the extra seating to look like, and I as well as the other supporters on here dislike it greatly.

aucppc.jpg

Not only does it look crapola, the scoreboard will have to be moved. I hope they can figure out a way to make it work, while looking aesthetically pleasing.

yeah that's the side. I quite like it, original compared to all the other stadiums, but that's going to change if the expansion goes ahead. there's been an artist's representation of what they visualise the extra seating to look like, and I as well as the other supporters on here dislike it greatly.

aucppc.jpg

Not only does it look crapola, the scoreboard will have to be moved. I hope they can figure out a way to make it work, while looking aesthetically pleasing.

Is the only change there higher stands on the river side? ^.^ how is that gonna increase it to 40k

and the scoreboard seems to of disappeared

Is the only change there higher stands on the river side? ^.^ how is that gonna increase it to 40k

and the scoreboard seems to of disappeared
It appears so. I'm not sure, there'd have to be some more seating added you'd think.

It almost looks like the scoreboard is between the existing stand and the proposed stand on the river side. Not sure though.

If i could find a good enough image of the open area I'd photoshop what I reckon it should look like. But it's unlikely what I say will have any affect on the final decision. :p

There was no expense spared by Michael Searle & his cohorts (& the State Government) when they set up the Titans. From recruiting a big name like Scott Prince, to the building of Skilled Park & subsequently the 'Centre of Excellence', the Titans have had every advantage the Suns have been given by the AFL. On top of this the Gold Coast Bulletin & Channel 9 Gold Coast have given plenty of coverage to the Titans in their formative years.

Not true. The GC Bulletin are very anti Titans http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/bully-boys-back-afl-over-titans/2008/07/06/1215282650283.html

a) I don't think this could be the "first war" ... there's been plenty of skirmishes earlier on
b) It's the Suns first year. Whether interest strengthens or falls off remains to be seen.

There's a lot of expat Vics living on the GC, none in West Sydney, GWS will average crowds of 5-6 thousand and will be a big fat failure.

It's the Suns first year so I wouldn't get too carried away it's about them maintaining that support over the next couple of years but considering the fickle nature of the QLD sporting market it be quite hard to maintain. Case in point my team the Brisbane Lions who thoughout there 3 peat were out-attending the Broncos and there was the minority who thought QLD become an 'AFL' state.

www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166449 (Original thread)

Eventually the bandwagoners jumped off once the flags stopped but still maintain a loyal fan base as a result of it by carving a niche in Brisbane. So Gold Coast ain't a 'AFL' city who knows what will happen in there next 5 years a improbably possibility is the Suns & Titans winning a premiership in the same year lol not.

Why do NRL media people call it a 'war'?

They'll never get anywhere while Galbally is CEO of NRL, he doesn't give a toss about any clubs out of Sydney. He knows Broncos will be fine and Storm have made a good niche market down here even though he would kill them off in a second. He doesn't care about Titans or Cowboys, one team in Queensland is good enough for him.

aucppc.jpg

why not just connect the stands and be done with it

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL wins the first war.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back