Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029 - finishes 6th in the 24' SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like there's a bit of a "take the next step or * off" vibe around the joint regarding a few of our senior players. Personally I'm more angered by the one's who have turned to actual shite (Corr, Stephenson).
I want him to stay, but just feel the 5yr contract is a stretch, "the next step" is to deliver consistently on potential and we've heard time and again he could be a de goey or petracca type. 5 year deal at this stage just reminds me too much of Black and Wood, where teams force our hand on players with potential but who've yet to deliver consistently. And to be frank, the fact that he hasn't signed if that is indeed in front of him (the way Larkey, Jy, and Sheez didn't hesitate), I'd be more inclined to explore his trade/free agency value.

And then go watch Carey in 1996.

I.E the current age Zurhaar is at the moment.

Carey was basically in his 4th season in 1993. Zurhaar is in his 8th.

Your comparison is more apt for Curtis, not Zurhaar.
Carey was 5 years younger than Zurhaar is
Boys I'm not suggesting Zurhaar is the next Carey.

The point was that even talented players can look inept when the entire team doesn't fire properly. And Cam has proof he can be an explosive matchwinner.

Supposed depth is also the most overstated commodity on this board. Brayden George doesn't even figure in succession planning for Cam until he's player AFL football and done enough to indicate we can plan around him in any way.

I want him to stay, but just feel the 5yr contract is a stretch, "the next step" is to deliver consistently on potential and we've heard time and again he could be a de goey or petracca type. 5 year deal at this stage just reminds me too much of Black and Wood, where teams force our hand on players with potential but who've yet to deliver consistently. And to be frank, the fact that he hasn't signed if that is indeed in front of him (the way Larkey, Jy, and Sheez didn't hesitate), I'd be more inclined to explore his trade/free agency value.

All of those blokes moved to significant midfield minutes, so it was partly dependent on their team.

Expecting him to track as JDG or Petracca or Dusty did when they had positional changes likely not open to Cam (we have highly touted mids playing VFL) is fraught. We need him as a forward who spends some time in the midfield now more than we need him as a mid who rests forward.

What we do know of him playing predominantly forward is that he leads our tackles inside 50 despite being the second tallest guy in there, that he gets it about 16-20 times a game, has 2-3 looks at goal a game, takes a mark or two inside 50 each game, and provides a very strong stoppage presence in the forward 50. And he knows how to not get in Larkey's way.

We simply can't measure his career progression against blokes who became mids who rested forward.

His stats this year are comparable to Heeney's from last year, who actually played a comparable role. Heeney has now become a full-time mid and his stats this year can't be compared to Cam's.

Sorry guys I know it feels like I'm dying on this hill but I just don't want people's hunches about him going to cloud how good a player he is for us.

All of those blokes moved to significant midfield minutes, so it was partly dependent on their team.

Expecting him to track as JDG or Petracca or Dusty did when they had positional changes likely not open to Cam (we have highly touted mids playing VFL) is fraught. We need him as a forward who spends some time in the midfield now more than we need him as a mid who rests forward.

What we do know of him playing predominantly forward is that he leads our tackles inside 50 despite being the second tallest guy in there, that he gets it about 16-20 times a game, has 2-3 looks at goal a game, takes a mark or two inside 50 each game, and provides a very strong stoppage presence in the forward 50. And he knows how to not get in Larkey's way.

We simply can't measure his career progression against blokes who became mids who rested forward.

His stats this year are comparable to Heeney's from last year, who actually played a comparable role. Heeney has now become a full-time mid and his stats this year can't be compared to Cam's.

Sorry guys I know it feels like I'm dying on this hill but I just don't want people's hunches about him going to cloud how good a player he is for us.
After all, we’ve got heaps of blokes who have kicked 5 in a game, so Zurhaar won’t be missed

Thing that stands out to me is that he isn't impacting games in terms of volume at the moment (possessions, opportunities etc) and he's still wasteful in front of goals (and greedy) so his contribution has been shit to date. Has been a very poor start to the season and he absolutely needs to lift.

After all, we’ve got heaps of blokes who have kicked 5 in a game, so Zurhaar won’t be missed
This is true we have another small who kicks the odd bag of 5.

Trouble is he's now 45 and works with the last players.

As an aside I would wager a 45yo Boomer could be included in our team in any week off no AFL preseason and comfortably be in our top 15 players on the day.

Boys I'm not suggesting Zurhaar is the next Carey.

The point was that even talented players can look inept when the entire team doesn't fire properly. And Cam has proof he can be an explosive matchwinner.

Supposed depth is also the most overstated commodity on this board. Brayden George doesn't even figure in succession planning for Cam until he's player AFL football and done enough to indicate we can plan around him in any way.

He kicked the same amount of goals per game as Stevo did last year.

I don't think anyone is advocating a 5 year deal for him at the moment.

Everyone loves the way he plays, but he's selfish (this can't possibly be disputed) and he blows very hot and cold, particularly in his defensive efforts.

We've seen games where he's had 8-12 tackles in a game game and his effort and defensive side is off the charts. TBH, we'd be a 100% better side if he kicked half the goals he did, but maintained that level of defensive intensity and just passed the ball in those situations he should.

He is absolutely a good player, but is part of the wider issue with teams rebounding so easily against us.

He's in a select group of guys league wide as a medium forward that kicks more than a goal per game and gets the ball as much as he does. Others are Schultz, Rachele, Daniels, Rankine, SPP, Stringer, Close, Higgins, Ainsworth, Papley and Cripps.

He's pretty much the worst out of this entire group in all the key pressure categories for this position - pressure acts, tackles and inside 50 tackles.

Curtis has upped his defensive acts from non existent to just around passable with 1.7 - I50 tackles per game and just below average pressure acts.

He just wants to kick goals mate and is one of the real reasons the ball just flies out of our F50.

Last edited:

Everyone loves the way he plays, but he's selfish (this can't possibly be disputed) and he blows very hot and cold, particularly in his defensive efforts.

We've seen games where he's had 8-12 tackles in a game game and his effort and defensive side is off the charts. TBH, we'd be a 100% better side if he kicked half the goals he did, but maintained that level of defensive intensity and just passed the ball in those situations he should.

He is absolutely a good player, but is part of the wider issue with teams rebounding so easily against us.

He's in a select group of guys league wide as a medium forward that kicks more than a goal per game and gets the ball as much as he does. Others are Schultz, Rachele, Daniels, Rankine, SPP, Stringer, Close, Higgins, Ainsworth, Papley and Cripps.

He's pretty much the worst out of this entire group in all the key pressure categories for this position pressure acts, tackles and inside 50 tackles.

He just wants to kick goals mate and is one of the real reasons the ball just flies out of our F50.
See what you call selfish, I see as a positive trait. I want our best players backing themselves.

Seeing him turn into mid career Daniel Wells and needlessly giving it off would be even worse than we're currently producing.

See what you call selfish, I see as a positive trait. I want our best players backing themselves.

Seeing him turn into mid career Daniel Wells and needlessly giving it off would be even worse than we're currently producing.

There's a middle ground and he's not needlessly giving it off running into an open goal 30m out like you are alluding to Wells.

He's going for goal on the boundary, on the run from 45, when there's two open in the goal square.

You know there's a difference.

Zurhaar burns one of his team mates at least once a game.

There's a middle ground and he's not needlessly giving it off running into an open goal 30m out like you are alluding to Wells.

He's going for goal on the boundary, on the run from 45, when there's two open in the goal square.

You know there's a difference.

Zurhaar burns one of his team mates at least once a game.
Made it to a few of the preseason training sessions, was very noticeable how often he did this during match sims, as if every single shot is to win the game and bask in the glory, which he has done on match days a couple of times, there's just no in between with Cam it's literally all or nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever will be, will be.

Yep. It's not the club's call anyway. If he says he's not listening to any offer and just wants to play with us he stays. If another club gives him a ridiculous Magoo-like offer that he'd be stupid to knock back, he goes and we take the compo.

Having said that, we can't get caught on the Gold Coast cycle of draft, develop, invest, leave, compensation, draft, develop etc ad infinitum. At some point we have to hold players of value.

See Cam as a different situation to McKay. We were able to leverage Magoo into compensation, that was far more than he was actually worth. Don't think that luxury will be available with Cam.

Unless we get absolute top dollar in return, we can't afford to keep bleeding capable senior players.
It just starts the clock again as we have yo develop another draftee from scratch. And the merry go around of endless s***NESS continues on.
Would like to hear of more progress, in re-signing Bailey as well

Yep. It's not the club's call anyway. If he says he's not listening to any offer and just wants to play with us he stays. If another club gives him a ridiculous Magoo-like offer that he'd be stupid to knock back, he goes and we take the compo.

Having said that, we can't get caught on the Gold Coast cycle of draft, develop, invest, leave, compensation, draft, develop etc ad infinitum. At some point we have to hold players of value.

The alternative view is rejuvenating like GWS has used it.

GWS were absolutely ****ed 3 years ago. It looked like they had blown their shot, draft concessions had dried up, no big swell of academy prospects outside of Green a few years prior as well as the end of most of that recycling benefit of first rounders.

Finished 3rd last behind us, then lose two of their best two experienced young mids in Tarranto and Hopper. Their all time leading goal kicker and spearhead in Jeremy Cameron also walks out.

This should have resigned them to the doldrums, but they extracted maximum value from each of these situations and used it to turn over the list in key areas of need.

If you have enough net positive results like this, it's going to supercharge your list build.

They smashed a bunch of mid round picks and rookie selections out of the park and their under peforming senior core stood back up.

No one is lamenting Ben McKay for Zane Duursma. If they are, they are an idiot. As the next 10-15 years will prove watching Zane every week.

I won't lament Cam for a single second if he lands us Band 1 compensation either.

Last edited:

The difference for me is that Wells was capable of executing from most angles but was at pains to play the team game. Cam is a slightly above average set shot but fancies himself a Peter Daicos type weapon.

As for the idea of "needlessly giving it off", if he's in a spot that he more than likely can't split the sticks from, but can hit up a teammate in a better position, then it's 'necessary'.

If no one is free, or it's actually within his ability, then have a dip by all means, the issue is when he has men free but burns them whilst trying a low percentage nothing shot.

It's a slight adjustment but one he has made in the past, which in turn is a big part of my frustration, I know he can be better.

We are no where near the point of GWS and GC in terms of players leaving and it's ridiculous to even raise that comparison.

BMac left last year and we will benefit in the medium term from that decision.

If CZ chooses to leave at year end we will also benefit from that decision if we use the pick correctly.

If LDU was to leave next year after putting 2 seasons together of AA material in '24 and '25 then yes - the vicious cycle can be raised - but to lose BMac and CZ - meh - not an issue for a team in our situation.

We need top end players - we have 5-6 now - we need another 4-5 to even think about being in contention in 3 years time.

I really don't like some of the comms coming out of his camp, regarding him hoping North sees success soon - as if it's something that a senior player like Cam couldn't affect. If you want success, don't be so hot and cold.

He's pretty much the worst out of this entire group in all the key pressure categories for this position - pressure acts, tackles and inside 50 tackles.

Curtis has upped his defensive acts from non existent to just around passable with 1.7 - I50 tackles per game and just below average pressure acts.

I'm not sure I agree with all of the comparisons - Rachele at 179 and Rankine at 181 don't seem to be in the same category of player as Zurhaar. Of your list, Stringer seems to me to be the closest comparator (along with SPP if he was playing). On that reading, Zurhaar doesn't seem to be too far off the effort required (2024 stats)

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 7.03.01 PM.png

I really don't like some of the comms coming out of his camp, regarding him hoping North sees success soon - as if it's something that a senior player like Cam couldn't affect. If you want success, don't be so hot and cold.

The whole "I want to play finals" line him and his camp keep repeating just feels like it's laying the groundwork for his departure at season's end. It's an improbable standard for this team to meet right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029 - finishes 6th in the 24' SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back