Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some of you lot have forgotten the importance of having 2 decent KPF.

There is no reason Charlie wouldn’t be successful as a KPF. He’s strong asf. Can mark and is a tad nasty. The perfect specimen for that role.

Now I’m not as hellbent on him going fwd as long as we have a secondary target.

Every top side in the comp has an elite defender.

Logue is a very good one, but he’s more suited to the 2nd or 3rd defender. He does not belong in the conversation with Andrews, Moore, Taylor.

Statistically Chom does.

Elite CHB’s are 100% more sought after than key forwards at the minute by list managers.

Not only do they have to defend, but scores are generated as much by intercept defenders as they are forwards at the moment.

That video is a little bit telling. He has played a dominant game as a KPF, taking 7 or 8 marks in the F50, and only ended up with 3 goals and 1 of those from a snap. He clearly missed a lot of set shots. It should have been a 6 goal-plus match.
I’d have thought that set shot goal kicking is one of the few attributes that is definitely improvable with the right coaching and training.

I’d have thought that set shot goal kicking is one of the few attributes that is definitely improvable with the right coaching and training.
Especially with Larkey at training.

Chom himself admits his set shot kicking needs work. Maybe he'll work on it over summer but I'd rather see him down back. Just changes the whole onfield dynamic for us.

IF the plan was to definitively play Comben forward next year, then it makes no sense to be blooding him and throwing games into him as a forward this year. We're last on the ladder. There's no risk or downside with moves like this.

Meanwhile, Comben looks significantly better in defense than he ever did forward. He's not a great kick and he's a pretty poor set shot. This works for a defender. Much less so for a forward.
with teakle playing well, there's no chance comben plays forward.

I’d like to see him stay back, looks a natural down there and is killing it.
However, if clarko and co see him as a forward long term (as clarko has said) that’s fine. A year down back and gaining confidence and continuity will do him a world of good anyway.

Why are we moving our best backman?

Double why if this particular guy showed very minimal aside from being tall and mobile in the forward line?

It’s like looking back 6 years ago to the Darcy Moore debate that Buckley was having. Chom is only going to get better and better, his hands will become stronger and his leadership will shine.

Personally I wouldn't even think about moving him forward until Wil Dawson is ready to hold down a spot for 23 games. Even then, it'd be a last resort.

But, Clarko isn't seeking my counsel, so we'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Clarko told me that he hangs on every word that you post on BigFooty.

Comben looks like he could be a top 5 KPD in the comp, one day.

I can't see him being that level of KPF. I think he could be really good and a positive KPF but not elite elite.

I'd hate to move him forward just because we don't have another option.

Chom himself admits his set shot kicking needs work. Maybe he'll work on it over summer but I'd rather see him down back. Just changes the whole onfield dynamic for us.
Whoever taught Xerri to take a set shot should be coaching Charlie. He's got a simple and reliable technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could W Dawson be turned into a forward? Especially if Logue makes a successful comeback in the backline. Logue, Chom at FB and CHB is enough tall timber for mine.

Comben looks like he could be a top 5 KPD in the comp, one day.

I can't see him being that level of KPF. I think he could be really good and a positive KPF but not elite elite.

I'd hate to move him forward just because we don't have another option.
I’m pretty sure statistically that some day, is now.

Larkey/Comben combination has the potential to be a far better partnership than Daniher/Hipwood.

For sure.

But I'm still unsure whether we should move him forward or not cos he is showing so much down back.
For a player with such a injury history, and therefore not much opportunity to show his skills as a forward, the move down back has increased his value significantly.
With the market for key backs being as strong as it has over the last few years, he is a great position for his next contact.
Imagine the luxury of having an emerging key back with so much potential upside as a forward if you have the choice.

Sign him. For goodness sake sign him.

I'd say his manager will be saying the opposite.

Given his injuries and likely contract size to this point, I doubt we see a signature until early next year.

There will be some Free Agency momentum in the media in 2025 and we will sign him to top dollar ($800k+) on 5 years. My prediction only.

All based on no major injuries and his current form line.

I'd rather see Corr moved down forward.

Leave Charlie down back, he is flying.

I just had a seizure thinking about Corr playing as a forward

In order for us to become a finals competitive team, we have to genuinely move past the likes of Corr and McDonald altogether. No players' development should be hamstrung by these two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back