2024 GF ticket allocation released

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL have released this year's "official" figures.

Competing club members 35,000
MCC 22,500
AFL members 15,500
Medallion Club 3500

Non-competing clubs 5000
Competing clubs 3000

AFL contractual obligations 7000
Corporate functions 6500
Corporate partners 1000
AFL players 1000

There's weasel work going on here regarding disclosure. "Contractural obligations", "corporate functions" and "corporate partners" are separated to make them look lower. It is 14,500 tickets.

AFL players is laughable - I think it's something the AFLPA weaseled their way into the last CBA. The players sell them. For starters, 45% of them aren't based in Melbourne and I highly doubt many are coming in for the game. And as anybody with social media knows, a heap of them are away - which is fair enough, it's the only time of the year they can take holidays. WTF do they need a ticket for?

It's not the massive rort it was 10-20 years ago, but my better / more realistic breakdown would be:

Competing club members 43,300
MCC 22,500
AFL members 15,500
Medallion Club 3500
Non-competing clubs 3200 (200 each)
Competing clubs 2000 (1000 each)
All corporate / "contractual" 10,000

• A good number of fans in
  • Fair and realistic corporate allocation
  • Non-competing clubs get 200 each - that easily covers all their employees (incl players) if they want to go, plus a few major sponsors. These clubs sell the rest so they can **** off
  • Competing clubs 1000 each which covers everybody they have plus families and sponsors etc

The AFL have released this year's "official" figures.

Competing club members 35,000
MCC 22,500
AFL members 15,500
Medallion Club 3500

Non-competing clubs 5000
Competing clubs 3000

AFL contractual obligations 7000
Corporate functions 6500
Corporate partners 1000
AFL players 1000

There's weasel work going on here regarding disclosure. "Contractural obligations", "corporate functions" and "corporate partners" are separated to make them look lower. It is 14,500 tickets.

AFL players is laughable - I think it's something the AFLPA weaseled their way into the last CBA. The players sell them. For starters, 45% of them aren't based in Melbourne and I highly doubt many are coming in for the game. And as anybody with social media knows, a heap of them are away - which is fair enough, it's the only time of the year they can take holidays. WTF do they need a ticket for?

It's not the massive rort it was 10-20 years ago, but my better / more realistic breakdown would be:

Competing club members 43,300
MCC 22,500
AFL members 15,500
Medallion Club 3500
Non-competing clubs 3200 (200 each)
Competing clubs 2000 (1000 each)
All corporate / "contractual" 10,000

• A good number of fans in
  • Fair and realistic corporate allocation
  • Non-competing clubs get 200 each - that easily covers all their employees (incl players) if they want to go, plus a few major sponsors. These clubs sell the rest so they can **** off
  • Competing clubs 1000 each which covers everybody they have plus families and sponsors etc

There is no way that the corporate functions and contractual partners and obligations is ever coming down significantly.

I'd be surprised if they haven't already played with the numbers to bring it down to 14,500 as it includes:
  • Major AFL Sponsors (Toyota, Coca-Cola, Telstra, Coles, Woolworths)
  • Corporate Sponsors and Partners (NAB, Qantas, Virgin, EnergyAustralia, Accor, Marriott, etc.)
  • Media and Broadcasting Partners (Channel 7, Kayo/Foxtel, 5 or so radio networks)
  • AFL Officials and VIPs (AFL Board, executives, stakeholders)
  • Event Support and Logistics
  • Premium Corporate Hospitality Packages
  • Corporate Suites
  • High-Level State and Federal Politicians, Executives and Industry Leaders

There is no way that the corporate functions and contractual partners and obligations is ever coming down significantly.

I'd be surprised if they haven't already played with the numbers to bring it down to 14,500 as it includes:
  • Major AFL Sponsors (Toyota, Coca-Cola, Telstra, Coles, Woolworths)
  • Corporate Sponsors and Partners (NAB, Qantas, Virgin, EnergyAustralia, Accor, Marriott, etc.)
  • Media and Broadcasting Partners (Channel 7, Kayo/Foxtel, 5 or so radio networks)
  • AFL Officials and VIPs (AFL Board, executives, stakeholders)
  • Event Support and Logistics
  • Premium Corporate Hospitality Packages
  • Corporate Suites
  • High-Level State and Federal Politicians, Executives and Industry Leaders

If you’ve spent any amount of time in the corporate world you’ll know how many laughable freeloaders are in this 14,500.

It’s not the AFL looking after and entertaining their partners. It’s their partners looking after and entertaining their partners. They bring along everybody, absolute gravy train.

They could easily trim it to 10k.

If you’ve spent any amount of time in the corporate world you’ll know how many laughable freeloaders are in this 14,500.

It’s not the AFL looking after and entertaining their partners. It’s their partners looking after and entertaining their partners. They bring along everybody, absolute gravy train.

They could easily trim it to 10k.

I agree with you, and I have been a guest of a media partner a few times in the September Club so I know the types you are referring to.

If anything, after walking over the footbridge on Saturday I'd say the event footprint is looking bigger than previous years. The AFL is a huge corporate entity and the GF is the pinnacle event, every sponsor and partner putting their money in wants a slice of the GF seats.

It's woefully inadequate and a rort.

But ultimately nothing changes so long as regular people hand over their hard earned.

It may well be the case that the corporates dominate but the part I object to is the AFL still pretending the footy is a family or people's affair.

Just come clean and say it's a game for the elites and I'd respect it.

It's woefully inadequate and a rort.

But ultimately nothing changes so long as regular people hand over their hard earned.

It may well be the case that the corporates dominate but the part I object to is the AFL still pretending the footy is a family or people's affair.

Just come clean and say it's a game for the elites and I'd respect it.
The media also don't care as they are part of the gravy train

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 GF ticket allocation released

Remove this Banner Ad

Back