Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The midfield doesn’t need another tom Mitchell, it needs A classy impactful player like Holland’s that break games open up forward as well. Phillips will be a great player but we need better upside , if Holland’s is gone by our pick id hope we would pick Archie Perkins who has a far greater ceiling than Phillips.
I sort of agree with you in that if Hollands is off the board then Perkins is who I hope they take too. However I would like to think that the club will choose whoever they think is the best available over whoever fits best. If Hollands is gone and they think the best is Phillips then that’s who they should take.

I understand the thinking of going for a better fitting player but you don’t want to fluff the decision by reaching for that player when the more talented prospect is staring you right in the face (ie Phillips). If we end up taking Phillips then it just might mean we end up trading one of our similar type mids next trade period.

Last edited:
Perkins has already put the size on. Looks ready to go.
I want you to watch his highlights and count how many kicks he has and then how many end up with a teammate. I can't see us taking him with those footskills.

I'm not saying we're taking him. I just relayed info that we've interviewed him 3 times.
I know I wasn't inferring that so apologies if u thought I did. I just latched onto the last post that mentioned him. He seems to have really got a lot of people on this board excited and some suggesting that we should possibly take him at 4. I wanted to point out that his kicking is a serious issue and if we hold kicking to our usual high standard i cant see us taking him at 4. All the hard work he does at the contest which is outstanding only to see the ball coming back a possession later. I don't think he is in the class to be picked at 4. Draft central has him in the teens which I think is right.

I know I wasn't inferring that so apologies if u thought I did. I just latched onto the last post that mentioned him. He seems to have really got a lot of people on this board excited and some suggesting that we should possibly take him at 4. I wanted to point out that his kicking is a serious issue and if we hold kicking to our usual high standard i cant see us taking him at 4. All the hard work he does at the contest which is outstanding only to see the ball coming back a possession later. I don't think he is in the class to be picked at 4. Draft central has him in the teens which I think is right.
We cant risk a butcher at 4.
We just have to get this right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have no idea what Hawthorn will do with Pick 4, we have history of going for whoever we want and not going along with what others expect of us, i could see a situation that IF we are keen on a tall player and we miss out on McDonald, DGB, Thilthorpe and JUH going to the Dogs with the academy pick, IF we were only keen on a tall, then i could see us reaching for Heath Chapman, the only problem is that then GC and Essendon get to have 1 of Hollands and Phillips, just thinking out loud.

i have no idea what Hawthorn will do with Pick 4, we have history of going for whoever we want and not going along with what others expect of us, i could see a situation that IF we are keen on a tall player and we miss out on McDonald, DGB, Thilthorpe and JUH going to the Dogs with the academy pick, IF we were only keen on a tall, then i could see us reaching for Heath Chapman, the only problem is that then GC and Essendon get to have 1 of Hollands and Phillips, just thinking out loud.
Hawthorn will pick who we think is the best at our pick, top of the draft will always be closer to the experts.

It’s only called the fab 5 cause that is what Cal Twomey called them and the rest of the media followed. None of the media watches much junior footy. Sydney rate Bruhn in the top 5. Who knows what the 17 other clubs think.
Cal Twomey nails the draft every year without fail.

He only gets close the day before because he makes 1000 calls to players, managers, recruiters etc.
He does not just pick the order based on how he rates the players. It actually ruins the suspense of draft night.

That’s literally his job. Not to guess, but to find out what the people making the decisions are thinking.

Cal Twomey nails the draft every year without fail.

To be fair, last year Dylan Stephens was expected to fall around our pick and Sydney ended up grabbing him at 5. If we are that keen on Perkins then it wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened this year.

This is something we need to focus on again as I think it’s something that we have strayed away from in the last couple of years by draft left footers and players that can kick the ball we next to get back to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back