Official Match Thread Season 33 Round 1- Gumbies FFC vs Coney Island Warriors at The House of Gumby

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 33 Round 1- Gumbies FFC vs Coney Island Warriors at The House of Gumby

1643689584988.png

PREVIEW

For the opening round, the SFA has decided to embrace their nerdiness and inner intellectual and recruit likeminded people from the local sqrabble club. This week, the S32 minor premiers, The Gumbies (80 points including 50 point 7 letter bonus) , host the Warriors (86 points including 50 point 7-letter bonus) at the The House Of Gumby and there will be a friendly sqrabble curtain raiser in the leadup with the player who comes up with the highest scoring word winning important bragging rights.

OFFSEASON

The Gumbies will be lead by new captain and former Warrior DenieD (8 points), and gain experienced recruits Ned_Flanders (16 points) and Aristotle Pickett (24 points) from opposing clubs. They have also lured eDPS (7 points) from retirement and secured the services of 5 rookies - CatToTheFuture (22 points) , Dayts (9 points) , Supercheapgiants (26 points) , @bulldog85 (11 points) and ossie_21 (5 points), making the most of salary cap room created through the departures of two classy and valued players, omgfridge (17 points) and Party Gull (15 points). Meanwhile the Warriors made the most of their extended offseason by signing reigning beez medallist Elton Johns Wig (27 points) , league/club legend pantskyle (18 points) and underrated veteran A Swallow (14 points) alongside Rookie quartet Mesc (8 points), PhatBoy (17 points) , adogsfan5 (13 points) and Ambrose Burnside (22 points) to cover for the departures of DenieE, kdavva , zackah (24 points) and harry000.

LAST TIME THEY MET

Back in round 6 of last season, the Gumbies defied critics to storm to a handy 2 point lead in a high scoring 6.1 to 4.5 first quarter but the Warriors found another gear in the second as they turned around their inaccuracy to pile on 5 goals to 1 and take a handy 10 point lead at the main change. Little separated the teams in the third quarter as the Gumbies clawed the deficit back to 7 points In a thrilling final quarter, we saw the Warriors lead by as much as 21 points before the Gumbies took the lead at the 19 minute mark and eventually extended it to a seemingly comfortable 11 point lead with under 3 minutes to go. A freakish goal by TubbsFarquhar gave the Warriors a 1 point lead before they held on for another minute and a half to claim a crucial 1 point win.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Last time-captain Barrybran (16 points and 127 DT, 3 goals, 31 disposals) was best on ground in a losing cause and experienced gumby veteran StFly (13 points and 11 points and 111 DT, 2 goals, 28 disposals, 4 tackles) was also dominant. GWS Goose (84 DT, 23 disposals, 7 tackles) and Brick Loosener (21 points and 89 DT, 25 disposals, 3 tackles) were also influential. The Warriors’ two best player from that matchup, ChappyUK (24 points and 103 DT, 22 disposals, 2 goals) and kdavva (17 points and 92 DT, 24 disposals, 4 tackles) are no longer at the club, but reigning Mobbs medallist TheInjuryFactory (37 points and 81 DT, 25 disposals, 5 tackles) as well as Warriors teammates Mofra (10 points and 80 DT, 21 disposals, 1 tackle)and Volbeat (12 points and 88 DT, 22 disposals) will be looking to maintain their form from last time. Also expect Gumbies cult hero Rodney Dangerfield (27 points) and Warriors song contest commissioner TubbsFarquhar (32 points) to stand up for the occasion.

PREDICTION

Gumbies by 1 point in a mirror image of the previous result- with the inside knowledge from DenieD and home ground advantage just offsetting the impressive new recruits at the Warriors and their longer offseason

Captains, please have your team sheets in by 11.59pm AEDT this Thursday

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF

Hello Pants. Funny how when you leave the Warriors I join them and then I leave and you join them again. Will we ever play at the club at the same time?

Yeah funny...

And no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are currently in the same position I was offered at the end of last season at the Warriors, so you should definitely have a think about that.

Wasn’t good enough for you was it? You wanted a top dog role, even if it meant going to the career killing team of the SFA.

Wasn’t good enough for you was it? You wanted a top dog role, even if it meant going to the career killing team of the SFA.
Gumbies are on the up and up. Get in on the ground floor as they say.

You are currently in the same position I was offered at the end of last season at the Warriors, so you should definitely have a think about that.

What role is that, VC?

yes. Still can't believe Tonga Bob actually thought I'd be tempted to change my mind with a VC offer lol

To me it's no different to just being in the LG, just means if TB has to heck off for a period of time I can run the club into the ground. Happy to assist a new captain.

To me it's no different to just being in the LG, just means if TB has to fu** off for a period of time I can run the club into the ground. Happy to assist a new captain.
mods tend to 'heck off' a lot of the time (particularly if they mod a different board), so you may just get that chance.

mods tend to 'fu** off' a lot of the time (particularly if they mod a different board), so you may just get that chance.

It's been a long time since I was last a captain of a team, S33 could be the season of the pants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back