Official Match Thread Season 30, Round 15: Coney Island Warriors vs Fighting Furies @ VCP (Heritage Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

ciwfur3015.png

January 25, 2001

George W Bush had just been inaugurated for his first term as US President 5 days earlier, it was the first tax year in which the GST had been operational in Australia, Essendon were the reigning premiers. It also happened to be the date that Mobbs asked "Do you want to play a game?" to a bunch of randos on the internet. Naturally, the answer was 'yes' and thus what we would now come to know as the SFA is born.

A couple months later, the first official round of the first SFA season would be posted, and as we can see, the precedent for administrative incompetence that permeates throughout league history would be set right from the outset.

Well ... would you believe this.

I forgot to check the 'want commentary file' option when playing the game.

We've got a full match played, and full stats available, but no play x play commentary
frown.gif

All I can give you for the moment are the quarter by quarter scores :

Q1 Pump 3.1.19 Dragons 10.3.63
Q2 Pump 8.6.54 Dragons 13.7.85
Q3 Pump 12.15.87 Dragons 16.10.106
Q4 Pump 13.20.98 Dragons 20.16.136

Apologies again, I'm working to have it a saveable prompt so I need to change it away if I don't want commentary, rather than have to choose it each time.

Anyways, I'll post the stats in a few minutes and yers can pick up a better idea of the match from there.

Best goalscorers :
Pump : DeesRule 4 goals
Dragons : TomFC 4 goals

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

So how can such mediocre and shoddy coding lead to the blossoming of such a thriving, vibrant community that would grow over almost 2 decades?

The reason is You, the SFA player. Without You, Qooty would simply be motionless gears is a defunct machine, it is your energy, imagination, creativity and commitment over the seasons that has built a new world where dreams can be lived out and possibilities are endless. You're the reason why the league and clubs have identities, why awards exist, why we have media, podcasts, club room recreational activities and 2.7 million posts worth of content. Every individual player when they sign up, contributes their own thread; long or short, to the finely woven tapestry that is the Sweet FA story.

====================================================​

Alright, hope y'all feeling warm and fuzzy after those wanky platitudes, let's get into the real stuff. Firstly, in celebration of the 30th season of the SFA all captains have been asked to nominate an all time team of 20 and special heritage kit. These all time teams will proceed to play off during the week in exhibition games as curtain raisers to Round 15 games on Sunday, keep an eye out for the 'Heritage Round Qooty Carnival' thread. The nominated kits have been recreated thanks to the efforts of Barrybran.

Coney Island WarriorsFighting Furies
1604242626420.png 1604242645129.png

====================================================

Now onto the actual match, thanks to Ljp86 a bit of background on this matchup at Van Cortlandt Park. Some stats and facts on the head to head between the Coney Island Warriors and Fighting Furies:​

Coney Island Warriors vs Fighting Furies at Van Cortlandt Park

Head to Head

Played
: 21 Coney Island Warriors: 11 Fighting Furies: 10

At Van Cortlandt Park

Played:
13 Coney Island Warriors: 6 Fighting Furies: 7

Last Five Matches

Code:
Season/Round   Home Team                                    Away Team                           Ground

S27 R01        Fighting Furies        9.13  (67)  lost to   Coney Island Warriors  15.17 (107)  rfctigerarmy's hippodrome
S27 R14        Coney Island Warriors 16.8  (104)  defeated  Fighting Furies        13.12  (90)  Van Cortlandt Park
S28 R09        Coney Island Warriors 17.14 (116)  defeated  Fighting Furies        16.12 (108)  Van Cortlandt Park
S29 R06        Coney Island Warriors 14.3   (87)  lost to   Fighting Furies        14.10  (94)  Van Cortlandt Park
S29 R17        Fighting Furies       13.10  (88)  lost to   Coney Island Warriors  16.10 (106)  rfctigerarmy's hippodrome

In the Know

• The away team has won five of the last seven matches in games played between Coney Island Warriors and Fighting Furies.
  • The average winning margin in matches between the Warriors and Furies is 26.81 points however in the last four games, the average margin is just 11.75 points.
  • Fighting Furies haven't played back-to-back home games against the Warriors since the Season 18 Second Semi Final and Round Nine of Season 19 respectively.

It's fair to say that these two teams have had diametrically opposed fortunes in Season 30. The Warriors are 10th, out of finals contention due to a team sheet penalty and have only managed 5 wins so far while the Furies have sewn up a spot in finals and sit comfortably in 3rd spot with 9 wins and a good percentage. A win for the Furies will lock up a top 4 spot and a double chance. The Warriors will be aiming to take their biggest scalp of the season and end their disappointing season with some positives.

Let's take a closer look at how their seasons have shaped up:​
Coney Island WarriorsFighting Furies
1604243199200.png 1604243261802.png

Interestingly, the two teams are ranked 1 and 2 in S30 for points scored. The clear difference is that while the Furies have an extremely solid defensive game, the Warriors have almost non-existent defence offsetting their scoring capabilities. While the Furies are generally consistent across all four quarters of the game despite more recent concerning trends in the last, the Warriors have been burnt throughout the season late in the game conceding on average over 30 points.

While the Warriors can look unstoppable on their day as seen with the Hawks game, they have been far too inconsistent within games and through the season to be a serious challenger in S30.

Prediction: Furies should get the job done easily in a high scoring affair where both teams score 90+. I think they'll win by 29 points.​

Last edited:

It's fair to say that these two teams have had diametrically opposed fortunes in Season 30. The Warriors are 10th, out of finals contention due to a team sheet penalty and have only managed 5 wins so far while the Furies have sewn up a spot in finals and sit comfortably in 3rd spot with 9 wins and a good percentage. A win for the Furies will lock up a top 4 spot and a double chance. The Warriors will be aiming to take their biggest scalp of the season and end their disappointing season with some positives.

Speaking of diametrically opposed foes--

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 1.16.52 pm.png

TJASTA I was told not to mention dinosaurs. Luckily dinosaurs don't exist, so it'll be easy.

FootyGuy13

Did you convince your Dad to sign up to BigFooty?

I was just looking at the Forum statistics a few moments ago.

View attachment 1001175
I'd be surprised if he could figure out how to turn a computer on, let alone use one.

Hi

I have always wondered. Are you a Mr Magic alt account?

You’ve lost me— who (or what) is Mr. Magic? Can you provide with a history lesson wise one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspicions confirmed

Ned_Flanders, got him

he's not Mr Magic dumbarse

if he was, he would have been bitching all season that we should trade Bastyy to the Bombers for two rookies, and re-sign him back in 7 years as a free agent when our premiership window is open

*sorry for those not from the RFC board who wont get this

You're so thirsty for my presence that you're repeating my name.

I've seen this movie before.

View attachment 1001222
Gonna be honest Bob you're the only bloke who plays for Coney Island I know so once I figure out who the others are I'll forget you by the end of the week

he's not Mr Magic dumbarse

if he was, he would have been bitching all season that we should trade Bastyy to the Bombers for two rookies, and re-sign him back in 7 years as a free agent when our premiership window is open

*sorry for those not from the RFC board who wont get this

Please don't trade Bastyy.

He's the SFA's Most Improved player in S30. He's also my favourite SFA player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back