Official Match Thread S29 Round 1: East Side Hawks vs Coney Island Warriors @ The Eyrie

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
1580114015942.png

Hello everyone, welcome to 2020, the start of a new year, the start of a new decade and most importantly, the start of a new Qooty season. After a successful State of Origin series, Qooty kicks off again with its 29th season. 29 seasons of Qooty, which means we are only one season away from the 30-season milestone. We want the milestone season to be a great season, so let’s make sure that build up to it is just as great.

It’s Round 1, and in this battle, the East Side Hawks will host the Coney Island Warriors at The Eyrie.

S28 recap

The Hawks started the season on a poor note losing the first 3 games. At first, we looked to be in danger of missing finals, however found some form mid-season winning 4 of our last 5 games. A good run of form late meant we earned a double chance, finished 4th with 9 wins & 7 losses. We faced off against the Swamprats week 1 and came out victorious, earning the next week off. However, we were unsuccessful against a firing Dragons outfit and lost yet another Prelim Final.

The Warriors had a poor season, they lost 4 of their first 5 games, had 1 draw whilst only managing 1 win. They finished 10th spot on the ladder with 6 wins, 9 losses and 1 Draw. They will have done quite a bit of soul searching in the off season, hoping to re-gain some form and launch themselves back into the hunt for that elusive first flag.

Off season:

The Hawks lost some quality posters in the off-season with Harvey Manfrenjensenden setting sail for Mount Buller and spookism joining Filth at the washed-up hacks club, uh I mean the Royals. We also delisted ex captain Mr Eagle. However, it’s not all doom and gloom, the return of BRAB could provide some firepower along with the signing of rookies Drunken Wookie and jusjoshin

The Warriors cut out some deadwood in the off-season delisting Max Milburn, BostrichBurger & PackedLunch. They pulled off a major coup, snagging EKA runner up Cadaver from the Bears and signing two new rookies in Tonga Bob & Randomizor.

Last time they met

S28 R13

Coney Island Warriors 12.10 (82) wdb East Side Hawks 21.10 (136)

The dismal Warriors were no match for the rampaging Hawks, who kicked 6 goals 8 in the first quarter, keeping the Warriors goalless. The Warriors only managed 4 goals in 3 quarters and the Hawks motored on, ruing goal inaccuracy despite maintaining a comfortable lead. The Warriors fired up for a damage control final quarter, booting 8 majors, however still went down by 54 points.

Best on Ground was SM with 20 disposals, 6 marks and 5 goals. He was strongly supported by por_please_ya who managed 25 disposals, 5 marks and 3 goals. Veterans BigJoeD_ and Wooshette were best on for the losing side.

Skippers Interview

1580114101356.png

During the week, I sat down with both Agent93 and TheInjuryFactory for a chat about their outlook for S29.

ND: Thank you for joining me fellas, hope you are both pumped for S29!

A93:
Ahh, can we ask each other questions too? For example: TIF, I have a new recruit from the Fremantle board. When the Eagles inevitably destroy Freo in the derby, should I taunt him with pictures of Jeremy McGovern or Tim Kelly? Come on ND, are you going to ask questions? Or are you going to join me in taunting TIF?

ND: Uhm, oh hey TIF, is Conca going to hit a target this year?

TIF:
Why would he start now?

A93: Who do you have in medal spots this season TIF?

TIF: Pants is in poll position of course, with harrydonuts replacing me and moving into the guts at rover. comewhatmay will retain her mantle as the premier ruck in the competition, and the All-SFA full forward BEEG will once again spearhead our forward line and push for yet another All-SFA berth and his first Fred medal.

What about at the Hawks, secret agent man?

A93: Excellent question, as you know, at the Hawks we have a grand tradition of high standards at FF so we went out and got back the only one that has been decent for us over the past 10 seasons. He'll be playing fullback, and our esteemed host will be filling the hole vacated by Harvey M.

The ruck is a place for large people, and we at the Hawks are blessed to be home to one of the largest, roundest people, and will be lining Biggie up for taps in season 29. Receiving those taps again will be Loonerty in the ruck-rover slot, and in rover there will be an endless cast of rotating players as I really haven't made up my mind the folks who most deserved the spot after last season didn't want it.

ND: Alright flogs, remember who asks the questions here… Let’s get this back on track, How do you each view your prospects for S29, on and off field?

A93:
I fully expect the Hawks to not only make the preliminary final, but lose it as well. Outside of that I feel the Hawks are in for a down season with increased external commitments of several big names, and a slower than expected uptake by the newer faces.

The Warriors look like they'll be better with the addition of Dav and Tonga Bob, and the loss of, well, nothing.

TIF: I expect us to alternate wins and losses early on, before settling into a nice steady rhythm of losing consistently to finish off the season. Remember, we've still got the cursed one, pantskyle under our roof.

Then again, we could have a season like S27 again out of the box, but realistically we struggled stringing wins together last season, we barely even got to whip out #thestreak at all in S28 so I'm tempering expectations. 4 All-SFA selections says we've got the cattle, we've just go to put it together on the park.

Off the field, I think the SFA will see a Warriors outfit that's turning the corner. We've got a lot of quality on the list; we just need to get the best out of everyone on the list. Heading into my second year at the helm I'm confident we can make a splash in S29.

The Hawks have undergone a bit of change over the off season, probably a little bit unexpectedly. I think getting BRAB back in the green and gold is a solid move, I'm looking forward to him getting back to his best qooty and back up into the upper echelon of the competition in S29.

ND: I do hope BRAB gets into the groove of things and becomes more active posting wise. TIF, you pulled off a massive coup in getting Cadaver in board. What do you think he’ll bring to your team?

TIF:
Coup of the season. Cadaver and I both came into the comp in S26, i just remember him being an absolute phenomenon, and I mean a proper one, not like the s**t one from the Dragons. I can see him regaining some of that All-SFA form on the field, while off the field, he's exactly what we need to rebuild the culture here at Coney Island, his enthusiasm and engagement at its best is elite, and I'm just looking forward to pulling the jumper on with him. I think he'll make our group walk a bit taller out there.

ND: He was pretty good, just a shame about the EKA… Hehe, anyway, Agent, we had two quality posters in Harvey Manfrenjensenden and spookism leave us in this off season, however, as we mentioned before, we managed to get BRAB back into the team, will he compensate for the loss of Harvey and Spook?

A93:
BRAB has always been an interesting one. When he gets engaged, he's like a dog with a bone, and will strip it raw before burying it. The problem is keeping the fire burning, and I think the surrounding cast at the Hawks suits him better than it did at the Gumbies.

He's one of those special talents that can easily be a top 5 beez candidate, so his ceiling is way above spookism. He's probably got more runs on the board than Harvey, so the question really is whether BRAB's utter hatred of Ant Bear is enough to fuel him through another glorious season.

ND: One for both of you, which player do you believe will have a posting “break-out” season?

A93:
From the Hawks I think either ArdentEagle or Drunkgoliath are ready to hit the big time, but league-wide I'd say Callums_Guns is mostly likely to break into the upper echelons.

TIF: At our club, I think harry000 has another level in him, he could be an absolute superstar. If I'm looking for another break out season like comewhatmay's just had, that's where I'm looking.

Comp wide, I reckon AuntyBlindEye is going to be absolutely elite this season, my eyes are on him to see how he backs up his EKA winning S28.

ND: I wonder what TJASTA thinks of that. Anyway, if you both had to insult each other using only two words, what would they be?

A93:
Lyon acolyte

TIF: Sumich-like intellect

ND: Geez, who’s bright idea was it to get an Eagles and a Dockers supporter in a PM together? Anyway, thank you very much for joining me fellas, all the best for the upcoming season. Any final words?

A93:
4 flags > 0 Flags

TIF: 92*, 94*, 06*, 18*

Prediction

Warriors by 4 points

Captains, please remember to post your team sheets by Thursday 11.59pm AEDT.

Thanks to TheInjuryFactory for the graphics

Last edited:

should I taunt him with pictures of Jeremy McGovern
You forgot my excellent McGovern pictures. :huh:

jiwRVVz.jpg

pD574G2.jpg

EVIxj46.jpg

TIF: 92*, 94*, 06*, 18*
Fake news. Never said this. This is Dumbarse level banter.

I believe these were our last words.

Jesus I hope you're going better with the other captains
I also hope this.

Plus our agreement for crediting my work was 26 point Verdana, it looks suspiciously like 10pt to me, you're in breach of contract son. I'm going to have to engage pantskyle and Tigerturbulance's Bearly Legal services here.

Nice OP dickhead.

Also Hawks, feel free to make use of one of our new resources. One of our rookies Randomizor provides a function similar to random.org.

Basically if you are struggling to make a decision you submit a list of options to him and he chooses one of them for you at random and without bias.

It's pretty handy, and available to you guys this week only.

Word of caution. He may be broken so be careful what you wish for.

TJASTA is probably melting over the OP

Uhm, numb nuts? You're playing the Hawks, TJASTA plays for the furies.

You forgot my excellent McGovern pictures. :huh:

jiwRVVz.jpg

pD574G2.jpg

EVIxj46.jpg

Fake news. Never said this. This is NaturalDisaster level banter.

Plus our agreement for crediting my work was 26 point Verdana, it looks suspiciously like 10pt to me, you're in breach of contract son. I'm going to have to engage pantskyle and Tigerturbulance's Bearly Legal services here.

Nice OP dickhead.

I didn't want to insert myself too much into your uncivilised WA crap. Suprised you're not melting about the AEDT team sheet deadline.

I don't take demands from you or your ponies in regards to font size thanks.

Thanks for the graphics though, I really appreciated it :kissingheart:

I am here purely for the good of the competition, friend.

My season appears to have already reached a zenith few will be able to match, I have performed the miracle of giving your OPs credibility.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uhm, numb nuts? You're playing the Hawks, TJASTA plays for the furies.

I didn't want to insert myself too much into your uncivilised WA crap. Suprised you're not melting about the AEDT team sheet deadline.

I don't take demands from you or your ponies in regards to font size thanks.

Yes but he follows me every where I go and melts over my greatness.

At least circus performers have talent. Can’t say as much for the Hawks side.

I once hooked up with a circus performer. Very talented girl.

Hello,

Please stop tagging me in this thread, I don't have time to read your great comments.

Much love,
-TJASTA

Still busy with that Lego set you got from Santa?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back