Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn's probably the legend ruck but isn't an overall legend of the game.

Led us to our only flag in yonks but we probably need to go deep in September again (and probably another flag) with some real "team on back" type performances to get him over the line.
Gawn's 2021 prelim is probably the only real game he's played that is of that 'legend' level. He'd probably have needed about 20 more games across his career at that level including several in finals for him to even be in the discussion.

Gawn's 2021 prelim is probably the only real game he's played that is of that 'legend' level. He'd probably have needed about 20 more games across his career at that level including several in finals for him to even be in the discussion.
I'd argue his game against Geelong only three weeks prior to that, which included kicking a goal after the siren to give his team their first minor premiership in 57 years was just about that level, too.

I'd argue his game against Geelong only three weeks prior to that, which included kicking a goal after the siren to give his team their first minor premiership in 57 years was just about that level, too.
Dont think he was even BOG.

Not quite. Clarry had a better game than him that day.

Gawn played well but his Prelim was an all-time performance. Being able to do that many times throughout your career is the sort of thing it takes to deserve Legend status imo. I think maybe there was a QB he played when he was really starting to dominate is the only other time he's gotten close to that level that I can think of.

Ive watched a replay of the game numerous times and I think Oliver was the one who won us that game, strange of me to give Oliver credit but **** he was amazing in that game. Gawn was very good though. Probably second best on ground id say.

Ive watched a replay of the game numerous times and I think Oliver was the one who won us that game, strange of me to give Oliver credit but **** he was amazing in that game. Gawn was very good though. Probably second best on ground id say.
Oliver was in amazing form in that period. His game against Brisbane in the QF a week later was even better.

Imagine if we had a single elimination tournament for 'Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000?' Headless
I read this as who is the best player who has played for the MFC including Headless

Mobbs will have to invent a third and fourth interchange first! :cautiousv1:
I'm afraid this is just too difficult. Perhaps in the headlessy days of my youth, I might have been up to the challenge.

Oh yes. I realised this but he’s probably concerned about the talent pool across the league. I mean most teams are functioning with at least 3 inactives, some who haven’t posted at all since about 2015
Actually it's because I'm old and wrote the game when there were only 2 interchange and that's how I most fondly remember it :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My next thread: if headless is a MFC player, which one is he and why?

My challenge is whether to start this on the main board and wait for Scythe94 to spot it, or save time and dump it in hell
No I like that, post away.

My next thread: if headless is a MFC player, which one is he and why?

My challenge is whether to start this on the main board and wait for Scythe94 to spot it, or save time and dump it in hell
Just need to look harder, it's clearly Brock McLean

Great.

Now you’re here, is this the Willy Wonka or the Coca Cola thread?
There are five C's in the title and zero W's, so it's clearly Wonka.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back