Tyler Sonsie punch (VFL) - how many weeks? (poll added)

How many weeks?

• 1-3

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 4-5

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • 6-7

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • 8+

Votes: 20 29.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, and I thought McCartin was lucky. That was Hall/Gaff-levels of what the *ery.

Hall imo should have been de-registered and also charged by the Police, I am not sure how he got away with 8 weeks for that in the modern epoch, that was straight out competition level boxing on a footy field, without the opponent being notified in advance that he needed to be ready for it. Hall should never have been allowed to play again or at least until he showed cause why he should be trusted.

Gaff got 8 weeks for something nowhere near the level of what Hall did. Given it was Gaff's first ever suspension I am pretty sure, and he almost certainly did not mean to contact Brayshaw's head, the 8 weeks was as many as you could possibly give him, but imo on the high end of the fair range given the outcome.

This incident does not relate to those as there was clearly way less force, no concussion or serious injury and if people were honest, not high potential to cause injury. It just "looked" really bad because:

A) Sonsie struck the opponent deliberately to the region of his neck/head, and

B) the opponent was not ultimately focussed on Sonsie approaching him though I suspect Sonsie expected him to be defend himself.

I don't mind him getting the extra week for something that would only normally be considered medium impact, and therefore 2 weeks. The extra week because it was so stupid and looked so bad.

Please tell me some of you guys commenting have actually played footy and been punched or punched someone in your lives? There is a world of difference between being hit full force and being given a chastening smack in the mouth. I guess I just expect everyone should know that, but maybe you wouldn't if you have never experienced it.

Last edited:
I’m a bit confused on this one. It doesn’t look like a proper punch to me in the footage I saw? Granted I’m on my phone, but I can’t make out a closed fist from the footage I can see. Kinda looks like he’s gone for the chest and got him high.

Maybe I’ve had too many edibles.

I don’t reckon it’s anywhere near as severe as Gaff or Hall in any case.

I thought it was similar to the act that the young saints player did this year to Nathan Murphy. While the north player wasn’t concussed like Murphy was, perhaps a similar penalty would be apt. Not sure how many weeks he ended up getting though.

Caminiti got 3 for that. Some differences though. Murphy was concussed is obviously a big one these days. Against that I think Caminiti was provoked and Murphy was facing him and braced and also Caminiti clearly attempted to strike him in the chest region from memory.

So there are some distinguishing factors both in favour and against Sonsie from that case.

Please tell me some of you guys commenting have actually played footy and been punched or punched someone in your lives?
I’ve been punched in the head hundreds of times, not really something I’d usually brag about tho.

I’m a bit confused on this one. It doesn’t look like a proper punch to me in the footage I saw? Granted I’m on my phone, but I can’t make out a closed fist from the footage I can see. Kinda looks like he’s gone for the chest and got him high.

Maybe I’ve had too many edibles.

I don’t reckon it’s anywhere near as severe as Gaff or Hall in any case.

It wasn't a proper punch you are spot on. Sonsie did not connect with the part of the fist you would connect with if you were punching properly. His whole fist was 90 degrees from where you would have it to effect a classic punch. However, his fist was closed.

It is hard to tell exactly what Sonsie was thinking because what he did was completely inexplicable. But I am pretty sure he wasn't thinking hell, this guy just tackled me so I will walk up and punch him in the face. Something has to have gone wrong somewhere, because you just couldn't be that dumb.

Lol, Robbo describes that as a king hit. Then tries to justify why he can describe something that is clearly not a king hit as a king hit.

Whateley says it is "woefully inadequate" without reference to any similar incident and the penalties issued in those cases.

These are just rants designed to trigger people.

Wonder if Whateley, a well known Cats supporter, argued that Rohan felling Neale from behind off the ball getting 2 weeks was woefully inadequate...

Lol, Robbo describes that as a king hit. Then tries to justify why he can describe something that is clearly not a king hit as a king hit.

Whateley says it is "woefully inadequate" without reference to any similar incident and the penalties issued in those cases.

These are just rants designed to trigger people.

Wonder if Whateley, a well known Cats supporter, argued that Rohan felling Neale from behind off the ball getting 2 weeks was woefully inadequate...

A king hit is just a hit you're not expecting.

Don't think anybody expects a punch to the face on a footy field.

A king hit is just a hit you're not expecting.

Don't think anybody expects a punch to the face on a footy field.

Bullshit, it is a hit you have no reason to expect or no way to defend, and no chance to see coming. None of those were the case here. If you see someone approaching aggressively you have reason to defend yourself. Ok you don't expect to be struck in the face(albeit not a classic punch) on the footy field, but that doesn't make this a king hit. Otherwise every single unprovoked punch on a footy field could be described as a king hit. And that has never been the case. King hitting has always been used mainly to refer to incidents where the player is struck from behind without provocation, or perhaps while tangling with another opponent from the front as the blow is struck from behind.

The Barry Hall or Andrew Gaff incidents are not king hits for example. All of these are to differing extents intolerable incidents, but they are not king hits.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three weeks?

Congratulations Richmond fans you can officially now never complain about the umpires + MRO having it out for you.

8 weeks for that garbage.

Given the VFL are unable to address it adequately, the cops should charge this bloke for that.

OK, so you rate this incident equal to Barry "festival" Hall's left hook on Staker, equal to McCartin's straight right on Black, and 8 times as bad as Franklin's deliberate strike to the head on Cotchin....nothing to do with you being a Swans supporter though. ;)

Bullshit, it is a hit you have no reason to expect or no way to defend, and no chance to see coming. None of those were the case here. If you see someone approaching aggressively you have reason to defend yourself. Ok you don't expect to be struck in the face(albeit not a classic punch) on the footy field, but that doesn't make this a king hit. Otherwise every single unprovoked punch on a footy field could be described as a king hit. And that has never been the case. King hitting has always been used mainly to refer to incidents where the player is struck from behind without provocation, or perhaps while tangling with another opponent from the front as the blow is struck from behind.

The Barry Hall or Andrew Gaff incidents are not king hits for example. All of these are to differing extents intolerable incidents, but they are not king hits.

At what point on a football field, which is the workplace for at least one of these guys, do you expect to get punched in the head? Never. It's not within the rules and a vast majority of players seem to be able to play the game without resorting to it.

"Otherwise every single unprovoked punch on a footy field could be described as a king hit"

Except not every unprovoked punch on a footy field is to the head, is it?

It doesn't require anyone to be 'struck from behind' in the modern definition. It just needs to be a punch thrown at someone's head, without provocation, who isn't expecting it, with the intent to harm them.

Was there provocation? No. A scuffle beforehand that settled down before one party couldn't control his feelings, decided to escalate, squared up and delivered a single punch to the head of a person who wasn't expecting it. Effectively it's a sucker punch to the head.

I've seen you defend some incredibly dumb s**t in my short time on this forum, but this is easily the dumbest.

Meanings and origins of Australian words and idioms :

2023-08-22 23_31_37-Meanings and origins of Australian words and idioms _ School of Literature...png

The afl really shoots themselves in the foot with their matrix.

Might be worth considering some kind of grading re “football actions”

An example would be that tackles/bumps etc, though potentially suspendable, are football actions.

Punches, such as this one by Sonsie, would be graded a “non-footballing action”, thus allowing for a greater penalty to be handed down.

5-6 seems closer to the mark for this one, I don’t think he was aiming for the north blokes chin but it’s another example of the old adage, “play stupid games, win stupid prizes”

Geez, this is the sort of wet lettuce slap that has everyone looking at what their club has had to cop for far lesser incidents.

My submission, Willie Rioli from Port v Essendon in May, 2 weeks.

Ridley left sore after Rioli incident | PTV

Back