MRP / Trib. Jacob van Rooyen - How many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't touch the ball at all, champ. Even if he did, that doesn't actually change anything because it was a reckless act.

Also your subjective supporter biased viewpoint dies not dictate the severity of the impact. Ballard went off the ground on a stretcher with a neck injury. It will automatically be graded as severe :)

GAWWWWWN :D
I appreciate it’s difficult watching the Dees win games, but it might be time to let it go

Forceful front on contact. Careless conduct, high contact, high impact = 2 weeks.

Impact could go up to severe because a stretcher was used or down to medium if the players is ok/ stretcher was precautionary due to Ballard hearing a crack.

2 pages in and no footage and no description of what actually happened.
He was late, quite clumsy and got Ballard high resulting in a neck injury (severity unknown) and precautionary stretcher. He also did get the ball in the action of getting Ballard high and despite taking his eye off the ball he was clearly competing for it. People calling it vicious and saying Van Rooyen lined Ballard up are overstating it. Gold Coast players didn’t even remonstrate in what was a pretty fiery game.

It was a football act, albeit a late and clumsy one with a poor outcome. Given the AFL punishes outcomes more than actions JVR could miss a week or two but it wouldn’t have been looked at a decade ago.

He was late, quite clumsy and got Ballard high resulting in a neck injury (severity unknown) and precautionary stretcher. He also did get the ball in the action of getting Ballard high and despite taking his eye off the ball he was clearly competing for it. People calling it vicious and saying Van Rooyen lined Ballard up are overstating it. Gold Coast players didn’t even remonstrate in what was a pretty fiery game.

It was a football act, albeit a late and clumsy one with a poor outcome. Given the AFL punishes outcomes more than actions JVR could miss a week or two but it wouldn’t have been looked at a decade ago.

Thanks. Found the footage. Spoil was slightly late but did make some contact with the ball. His arm actually goes over Ballard's head so it was more the head collected on the way through.

I reckon you see at least a few of those per game but without the unlucky injury. Not sure how the AFL can penalise it given without the injury it wouldnt even be a fine.

Unlike dangerous tackles which they have said they are stamping out Im not sure how you stamp out spoils.

Thanks. Found the footage. Spoil was slightly late but did make some contact with the ball. His arm actually goes over Ballard's head so it was more the head collected on the way through.

I reckon you see at least a few of those per game but without the unlucky injury. Not sure how the AFL can penalise it given without the injury it wouldnt even be a fine.

Unlike dangerous tackles which they have said they are stamping out Im not sure how you stamp out spoils.
Moved his head in a way that likely pinged the neck more than any concussion/collision type injury.

Bit of a left of centre one really. Not sure there's anything comparable in recent memory.

MRO will be in chook lotto heaven this arvo

Punishment- 0 weeks and a trade to Freo at the end of the season and Melbourne forced to send their Luke Jackson pick to us .

Fair result for everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the heck happened there? Van Rooyen barely touched him, there must have been something there from the earlier hit. I'd have to see another angle if one was available but did VR actually make contact with the area at the back of his head where Ballard was grabbing? It certainly didn't look like it to me.

What the * happened there? Van Rooyen barely touched him, there must have been something there from the earlier hit. I'd have to see another angle if one was available but did VR actually make contact with the area at the back of his head where Ballard was grabbing? It certainly didn't look like it to me.

Ballard had already been passed on a concussion test from an accidental hit with Picketts leg.

...and? He may have been passed but, cumulative affect of the 2 hits? I'm still struggling to see any substantive contact with the part of Ballard's head that he clutches when he goes down.

No I agree with you, I struggle to see how the impact from JVR affected the back of his neck unless he already had an existing issue.

...and? He may have been passed but, cumulative affect of the 2 hits? I'm still struggling to see any substantive contact with the part of Ballard's head that he clutches when he goes down.

Agreed. I think it's more the angle his neck goes on from being pushed across by JVR's arm. Dew said he's been cleared of serious injury and was stretchered off because of a crack he heard in his neck.

It's accidental, not late, in the act of going for the ball, appears not to have caused a serious injury and the GC players basically didn't remonstrate. It's a bloody free kick and move on.

Soft as s**t if he gets any weeks for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back