News Stevie Motlop signs with North Warrnambool

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop 3, Gray 6. Almost all of them ineffective. No tackles that I can remember. No spoils. No smothers.
That’s what we’re working with up forward while they had Bolton and Martin.

I like Mots but even I think he needs to be dropped on that performance. Even when he got the ball he was too slow to assess options and move it on.

At this point it’s not even Motlop fault, how is he gonna find form when he’s not getting sent back to the 2s to find some touch.

He’s selection, the non-selection of a ruck, the Ruck Out / HBF are just examples of our Coaching Dept and Selection Panel

Motlop 3, Gray 6. Almost all of them ineffective. No tackles that I can remember. No spoils. No smothers.
Robbie saved a goal by tackiling Bolta but in attack he suffered from being the guy who attracted Grimes most times and was made to look too short and slow for the role asked of him as the third "tall" when guys put it up high to him all night.

Daniel had some great games for us. Steven Motlop has been a non-event in all but five games. Ordinary recruit who will leave no lasting positive legacy.

Gray did lay a few crunching tackles and a smother, so at least he is bringing energy innthe contest and cmmitment to the cause.

Mots however...................... er ahh hmmm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there ever been a greater gold pass recipient in our AFL history? It's unbelievable how Motlop never gets held accountable for his weekly lazy unaccountable soft efforts.

His stats at Port vs his Geelong output and, in conjunction with what you see on field, indicates a footballer who is well within his comfort zone cruising along collecting a paycheck.

I don't particularly like writing stuff this harsh about our players but enough is enough.

The player rating algorithm gave him negative points. Sums up his night. Should dig up the other games and see how he rated.

He plays about 5 or 6 good games a year and does very little in between those good games. He played well in Rd 5 against Carlton when we lost, Rd 6 WCE when we won and everybody played well, a reasonable game when we won in Rd 8 against Bulldogs and very good in Rd 9 game against North.

See the theme, he contributes when the team does well. he goes missing when they don't or its tight. Carlton was the exception because we dominated the 2nd half and he was playing well when we had momentum, not when we struggled in the first half.

But for a senior player he doesn't do enough. 29 tackles in 12 games is piss poor. If you aren't getting much of the ball, you can still contribute with lots of tackles and 1%ers.

1654786800986.png

Last edited:
The player rating algorithm gave him negative points. Sums up his night. Should dig up the other games and see how he rated.

He plays about 5 or 6 good games a year and does very little in between those good games. He played well in Rd 5 against Carlton when we lost, Rd 6 WCE when we won and everybody played well, a reasonable game when we won in Rd 8 against Bulldogs and very good in Rd 9 game against North.

See the theme, he contributes when the team does well. he goes missing when they don't or its tight. Carlton was the exception because we dominated the 2nd half and he was playing well when we had momentum, not when we struggled in the first half.

But for a senior player he doesn't do enough. 29 tackles in 12 games is piss poor. If you aren't getting much of the ball, you can still contribute with lots of tackles and 1%ers.

View attachment 1420523

I'd argue the 5-6 good games aren't even that good. How many times has he kicked 3+ goals or got 25+ touches for us? The 2020 PF is a good game. Doing nothing then kicking the winning goal in a showdown is not a good game. I think it was about 2019 that every second week he would give a contest that you would look at and say 'that alone should get you dropped' and he never was. I could understand tolerating Westhoff's bad patches because he was a 4 goal or 25+ player that could play every position on the ground. I just don't understand continuing to play a 31 year old who offers less than every other small forward. If his 2 way running is valued, surely we can find someone to do that? I know bergman/ Duursma are both seriously underdone, but i'd rather get more games into them.

I'd argue the 5-6 good games aren't even that good. How many times has he kicked 3+ goals or got 25+ touches for us? The 2020 PF is a good game. Doing nothing then kicking the winning goal in a showdown is not a good game. I think it was about 2019 that every second week he would give a contest that you would look at and say 'that alone should get you dropped' and he never was. I could understand tolerating Westhoff's bad patches because he was a 4 goal or 25+ player that could play every position on the ground. I just don't understand continuing to play a 31 year old who offers less than every other small forward. If his 2 way running is valued, surely we can find someone to do that? I know bergman/ Duursma are both seriously underdone, but i'd rather get more games into them.
Those 5-6 games are the number of games he gets 40% to 65% of the maximum possible votes from the coaches in the B&F voting. That's how he usually is able to finish around 15th in the B&F voting 3 out of the previous 4 years.

Those 5-6 games are the number of games he gets 40% to 65% of the maximum possible votes from the coaches in the B&F voting. That's how he usually is able to finish around 15th in the B&F voting 3 out of the previous 4 years.

I'd be querying the validity of those votes. How many times have players like Duursma, Woodcock, Farrell, etc been dropped for 15 touch or 1 goal games. Motlop seems to get pats on the back for them.

Did some digging

2022 - played all 11 games - no game over 20 touches, scored in 8/11 games but only kicked more than 1 in 2/11 (and both times it was 2 goals).

2021 - played 19 games, games of 20+, scored in 7/19 games with more than 1 goal 6 times.

2020 - obviously harder to judge - got 15 touches 2 goals (rd 1 with 20 min quarters), then 24 touches 2 goals in rd 2, both in smashings. Didn't get more than 13 possessions for the rest of the year. After rd 2, scored in 6/12 games with only 2 games being more than 1 goal.

2019 - played 14 games - got more than 20 possessions once, scored in 5 games (multiple goals only once)

That is just not good enough at any level. He's averaging 12 touches, 0.8 goals this year as a soft player. You just can't carry that. This is the only year since being at port that he has averaged more than a goal a game, with 3 out of 5 years being roughly half a goal a game, as a forward, who isn't a defensive forward. Sam Gray has played a similar position with alot of thankless running. Excluding his first year his numbers were 22 touches/ 0.4 goals, 21(0.24), 17.8(1.2), 15(1.1), 17.4(1). He also averaged 1.5 more tackles over his career. That was a guy we delisted. People want to talk about our recruitment, but we have banked alot of money on guys who didn't make us better and Motlop is one of the worst list management decisions made thusfar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back