Society/Culture Working from home vs forced back to the office

Nice post but i have a question.

WFH as you say allows a parent to save money on childcare costs, which are absolutely crazy high, glad we're past that.

How can someone who is working from home and taking care of their pre-school age kids possible be able to work full time? It's impossible, and grossly unfair to the little kids. Where is their daily social interaction if they're stuck in front of a tv all day or on tech while their parents are busy with work?

The reality is that parents who WFH and take care of their kids don't really do much work.

In some of the instances of my inner circle.
They lean on family members such as grandparents to give them a chop out with looking after the kids.
If the grandparents are retired and healthy they love having one on one time with kids and it gives them something to look forward to during the week.
Could also be a sibling who’s a FT parent that looks after a niece or nephew a day a week.

Just for reference my quoted post was more in relation to parents with kinder or school age children however I understand I didn’t state that in the initial post.

I’d gladly take the WFH but no promotions or transfers…having recently been denied a secondment where (my assesment) I could have contributed better to the organisations output.
I don’t get how this org thinks it’s a threat
Or is it code for ‘you’ll be the first retrenched?’

yeah I remember seeing this article, or one similar to it a few weeks back.

As someone who works from home full time, I would also accept this. And switch jobs when I felt I was ready for a promotion or a better opportunity. I get what I want, and the employer creates a retention issue for themselves. This is a policy aimed at harming them, not me.

Also, for those commenting about WFH being easier with daycare; its not about having the kids at home. Its about being able to pick them up and drop them off on time, which would be impossible if I had a commute. Its about being close by if one of them gets sick or the center needs to close. Its about having the option to talk to my employer if for any reasont hey need to be home, and working around the issue by splitting time. As someone with a family that doesn't have grandparents nearby to help out, going into the office just isn't an option for me anymore. I am not interested in anything that requires me to go somewhere.

In some of the instances of my inner circle.
They lean on family members such as grandparents to give them a chop out with looking after the kids.
If the grandparents are retired and healthy they love having one on one time with kids and it gives them something to look forward to during the week.
Could also be a sibling who’s a FT parent that looks after a niece or nephew a day a week.

Just for reference my quoted post was more in relation to parents with kinder or school age children however I understand I didn’t state that in the initial post.

Yes, absolutely correct, very lucky families are able to do that

The question I've got for you in those situations is, was the required work completed to the desired - and explicitly stated - standards?

No, absolutely not, my industry is ASIC governed, we have extremely important rules in place with how we conduct our business.

After we discovered what she was doing (this was just a small example of her poor decisions) we had to do a full investigation and found some very serious breaches of privacy, among other things. My experience is if people like that are prepared to be dishonest with their employer and try to cover up and hide their behavior then that person is very high risk. You are not doing your customers, yourself, your business or that type of person any favours by allowing them to break the law.

Everyone replying to me in this thread in a negative manner would be the first to complain about these types of employees if you were using our service and discovered that this idiot was responsible for a breach of your privacy. I make no apologies for protecting my customers and my business and if anyone has an issue with it it just tells me that they have nfi what is required to run a business in a high risk industry :)

Maybe in your organisations, not front line facing.

True, I admit that I made a poor generalization of all NFP, generally those that are connected to the Government in my experience are poor. The workers know all their rights and all the ways to work the system to be very lazy and do minimal work.

But, you're correct, there are many NFP who work bloody hard, so my apologies for those comments

True, I admit that I made a poor generalization of all NFP, generally those that are connected to the Government in my experience are poor. The workers know all their rights and all the ways to work the system to be very lazy and do minimal work.

But, you're correct, there are many NFP who work bloody hard, so my apologies for those comments
Fair.

It's like saying all private companies are lean, tight operations when in reality we know that the bigger you get the slacker they become. SMEs generally working their arses off, corporate Australia is not that different to government (drawing on experience in both). Different pressures, but generally share a lot of the same lazy thinking and approaches that are an outcome of size.

There’s a difference between trolling and a smart ass. Seems to me you’ve taken issue with quite a few people commenting that perhaps you’re simply not as correct as you’d like to think.

You're a troll and I can't be bothered with you anymore, you're boring, welcome to ignore

You're a troll and I can't be bothered with you anymore, you're boring, welcome to ignore

lol. Calling someone a troll and putting them on ignore because you said parents with kids trying to balance work and childcare demands should be reported for child abuse.

Amazing.

Last edited:
Back