Western Border Football League - Club Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Previews - Millicent

Time to end drought for Saints?
Article by Ian Lewis, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership.

It has been 18 years since a Millicent team played off for a senior premiership in the Western Border Football League and it is 23 years since it tasted its only premierships success in the WBFL and, based on last season's form, it will be another before it plays off in another grand final.

Last season, the Saints finished seventh under first year coach Doug Lang winning six games to be three games from a finals berth.

The club had a disastrous start to the season when its coach resigned before the season started and the club took a while to appoint Lang to the position.

But with a settled line-up this season, Lang is confident the Saints will play finals football this year.

The club has been busy out in the Mid South East Football League during the summer months recruiting as many players as possible.

"We have probably gained about 10 extra blokes this year" he said.

"There is a couple from Mount Burr, a couple from Hatherleigh, a bloke from Robe and then we have got another fellow from Bridgewater in Adelaide."

That fellow from Bridgewater in Adelaide happens to be the brother of Heywood's gun forward from two seasons ago Peter Shepherd.

Damien Shepherd has moved to the club from Adelaide and has impressed everyone at McLaughlin Park with his athleticism and skill level.

"He is going to be as good as his brother, he is pretty handy looking lad.

"He has only just had a couple of trials with us at the moment, still finding his feet a little bit, but once he gets going he will be a find."

Peter has moved back to Heywood, despite Millicent's effort to attract him to the club along with his brother.

"We tried to get him to Millicent but he wouldn't come," he said.

Lang expects him to hold down centre half-back or centre half-forward this season.

"He is tall, there is not much of him weight-wise, but he is tall, lanky, skinny and very athletic."

Other recruits expected to do well include Jack Sullivan, Clint Slape, Tom Marson, Ben Seebohm and Byron Kirkland.

Marson is the only one with any size about him but Sullivan and Slape will add pace around the ground, according to Lang.

"That will help us out because we sort of lacked a but of pace the last two years so to get a couple of young runners in there will be good."

So why does he think the club will put together some more wins on the board and be a potential finalist?

"Last year everyone wrote us off at the start of the season after, a few unfortunate circumstances, we didn't start the pre-season really well because we were so late announcing the coach but we ended up finishing three games out of the five.

"We upset South and East which is something we haven't done, especially South, for 15 years.

"The playing group we have a the moment has really gelled together and only losing one player from last year's side and gaining a lot more I think puts a bit more pressure on each other to perform", he said.

"There is that real buzz around the club that the club is heading in the right direction and another year together the same playing squad, and this playing squad now has already signed for next season coming as well, so next year they are really expecting to play finals footy."

Strangely, Millicent plays better football away from the small playing field at home and with the running players it has recruited will be looking for a better season in 2007 on the larger away grounds.

Senior Coach: Doug Lang
Reserves Coach: Rick Grimes
Sungold Milk U18s Coach: Mark Bennett

In: John Shepherd (Heywood), Damien Shepherd (Bridgewater), James Varcoe (Tantanoola), Ben Seebohm (Mount Burr), Shane Raddon (Glencoe), Ryan Potter (Tantanoola), Tom Marson (Mount Burr), Clinton Slape (Hatherleigh), Jack Sullivan (Hatherleigh), Leon Thomson (Hatherleigh), Byron Kirkland (Robe), Barry Trussell (Robe), Tyrone Trussell (Kingston).

Out: Clinton Viney (Latrobe), David Hardy (Mount Burr), Clint Bowering (Mount Burr).

Track Stars: On training form veteran and three-time Western Border medallist Andrew Nitschke is set for another top season. He may be 33 but he is as fit as ever and training the house down at McLaughlin Park. He has played 246 games for the Saints and each one has been a quality game for his side. Watch this space for another fine year. Damien Shepherd has been recruited from Bridgewater in the Hills Football League in Adelaide and has star stamped all over him. He is the brother of Heywood's Peter Shepherd and moves a lot like him. Needs to bulk up a little to hold down a key post this season.

Best Case Scenario: Could finish just out of the five in sixth position if Steve Duldig can hold down centre half-back and Damien Shepherd can use his talent on the forward line and the running players can use the ball with the same precision as Nitschke to link forward moves.

Worst Case: Without last year's leading goal kicker in Clint Viney, the Saints could struggle to score enough goals to win crucial games and may slip to eighth.

Club Previews - East Gambier

Only thing left to do is...Win a title
Article by Dean Millard, courtesy of the Portland Observer

After two unsuccessful cracks at the premiership title in two years some Western Border followers have begun to question whether East Gambier has what it takes to go from being a contender to a true champion.

Quinn has not taken the road travelled by many Western Border coaches in recent seasons by buying in ready made gun players to supplement his list, believing there was enough talent already coming through the lower ranks of the club to get the job done.

"Of the players we have picked up, there are probably upwards of eight, nine or 10, 17 and 18 year olds, some of whom have had a taste of senior football last year and some of whom have played in an under-16 premiership.

"Everything they have shown so far says they are right around the mark to make their A grade debut in round one; probably not all of them at the same time, but they have certainly shown they are there putting their hand up."

Quinn said he did not care if people outside the club thought East had been lazy in not chasing harder for big name players in the off season, saying he would rather reward those within the club who had earned a chance.

"We want to do things right by our juniors, we want to give them the opportunities if they are prepared to do the hard work, and they have been.

"We have been selective as to who we have got into our club.

"We have worked hard to make sure we have got a good honest and solid group there, and we reckon we have got that.

"It is now about making sure that the kids who have worn that Guernsey for five or six years in junior footy now get a chance to wear it in senior football."

One big name that has not appeared on the outs list despite persistent rumours he was on the move is full forward Ryan Larcombe, with Quinn saying he would be in red and black for at least one more year.

"Larcs was weighing up some life decisions, not just footy decisions.

"Early on there was an approach from a Swan Hill club, I think it was, and what they put on paper and the opportunities there, when Larcs asked me I said mate, if that is all legitimate you have got to go.

The sides who meet East early this season would not want to be behind in their preparation, with Quinn saying the SA Bulldogs have put in the biggest preseason during his five years at the club.

"It has definitely been harder, this is my fifth one with the lads and it has probably been the hardest one we have done, and that was for a reason.

"We are coming off two losing grand finals and we really wanted to know where our group was at and whether they were going to be able to keep pushing ahead and achieve what we want to achieve.

"That is why we really wanted to test ourselves and we have managed to do that.

"We have come out really well from those challenges, so now where it holds us as far as the season goes, we can't predict that yet.

"At camp (in Robe) they covered 35 kilometres in less than 24 hours, wither running or walking with weight on their backs.

"If you were ever going to quit that was probably the time.

Quinn said his side had always had the passion and the tenacity to go all the way but said this year he believed they could develop the smarts to go with it.

"I am not coaching this year for us to come second, third, fourth or fifth.

"I can never, ever question our commitment or our fierceness at the footy or the opponent, but I think as a football team we just need to get a little bit smarter.

"I think we are on the verge of that.

"That comes on the influx of a good group of kids that have had excellent coaching through their junior grades, so they are now really bringing a footy brain to our group as well as some talent."

Based on the smooth ball movement East showed in the Elastoplast Cup East looks like it will be around the mark again.

It is now just a question of whether they can convert potential into a premiership.

Coach: Simon Quinn
Reserves: Trevor Younghusband
Sungold Milk U18s Coach: Jason Dunn

Ins: Dylan Coxon (Rokewood Corindhap), Adam Taylor (Port MacDonnell).

Outs: Paul Harris (Nangwarry), Matthew Kluzek (Bridgewater), Bronson Saffin (Kongorong), Brett Sutherland (Kongorong), Frazer Scanlon (Goodwood Saints), Sam Currie (Lockleys), Adam Stewart (Nangwarry), Brent Green (Labrador), Jake Swaffer (Dartmoor).

Track Stars: James Teagle.

Best case scenario: Two seconds in a row show that East is not far off the mark, There is no question that the SA Bulldogs are capable of winning the flag if a few things go right.

Worst case scenario: With Quinn putting his faith in youngsters from within the club East may encounter some fluctuating form, as is often the case with young sides. If Larcombe were to suffer a long term injury it would severely hurt East's goal kicking options, especially with the enigmatic Stewart gone. Could slip to fifth.

Club Previews - Casterton

Cats lack killer instinct
Article by Ian Lewis, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

LAST season Casterton was a mite unlucky to miss out on a place in the five.

It won nine games but finished the season with an inferior percentage to West Gambier because it could not stop opposing sides from kicking high scores against its defence and its own forwards did not take advantage of match-winning positions and often slipped into a mood of complacency during crucial moments of matches.

Second year coach Gareth Abrahamson realises he has problems but has been unable to get players to lift that extra momentum and adopt a killer instinct to maul teams at their mercy.

Too often they turned their cruise control on and allowed teams back into the game.

Losing eight players from last year's list hasn't helped the cause but the signing of Scott Fleming, Brent Howard, Daniel Currie and a number of juniors from the under-age competition will go some of the way to make up for these losses.

But, Abrahamson has been far from happy with his charges' performances during the off-season.

"The numbers (to training) have been better for the past two weeks but, I am going to sound pretty negative here, our pre-season this year has been poor to average," he confessed.

"We had a real good springboard to this season the way we played last year, in 2003 they won three and drew one game and then we won nine last year and finished out of the give on percentage.

"The committee has gone out of its way to get some players like Scott Fleming and obviously Brent Howard, we needed another onballer, so we got those two guys and I thought we had a good springboard there but, to be honest, the guys haven�t shown a real dip at training early on this year.

"But, I guess it is just the culture down there, especially early on, and I am trying to change it but it is hard.

"In saying that, probably 80 per cent of our players work on the land, so I guess that could be a factor.

"They are not all smoking and drinking fellows, they are all farmers and they do keep fairly active.

"I have probably got a dozen or 15 blokes playing cricket and the same number playing basketball, pre-season's at Casterton have been pretty tough, last year we had a hard one.

"But I think the guys are still fresh so be cautious about the first few rounds and it will be very interesting to see how we go," he said.

Now whether these words are designed to give some of his players a boot in the backside to change their attitude to pre-season training I don't know, but Abrahamson was extremely cautious predicting how his side would perform and how his players had been training in recent weeks.

He is a committed coach and leads by example, but probably tries too hard on the field to rally his troops, if that is at all possible.

He moves himself around the ground plugging holes when perhaps the team would be better off if he stayed up forward and used his booming right foot to put much-needed goals on the board.

He agrees that Dodd needs to be more consistent and produce his match-winning bursts more frequent.

"I would just like to see him have a real solid season."

But he knows he has players with ability under his control and good leaders in Fleming and Howard and really believes his team has the opportunity to go one further this season and make the five.

"For us to play finals we have to win a couple of games in Mt Gambier obviously and continue our real good form at home.

"When we are on song, we're on song but we cannot afford to have the heavy losses we had a couple of times last year.

"In the back of our minds, I think, we had a defeatist attitude before the games and it just comes down to experience because when you have been down for so long and you play a good side like Portland or North Gambier it becomes infectious and we just have to turn that around."

It is a big job to beat the top sides, but the Cats have the ability to shock them at Island Park, where they are seemingly invincible.

Senior Coach: Gareth Abrahamson
Assistant Coach: Scott Fleming
Reserves Coach: Peter Larkins
Sungold Milk Under 18s Coach: Greg Bright

Ins: Brent Howard (South Gambier), Scott Fleming (Kongorong), Daniel Currie (Deakin University), Jamie McRae, Luke Annett.

Outs: Nathan Fidler (Natimuk), Adam Coulter (Hamilton), Lewis Rogers (Tyrendarra), Nathan Meyer (Kaniva Leeor United), Richard Rees (Port MacDonnell), Scott Creek (Sandford), Tim Malone (Golden Square), Drew Deary (Hamilton).

Track Stars: The recruitment of Scott Fleming and Brent Howard has been a winner for the Cats, adding much-needed height and athleticism around the ground, to help last year's premier ruckman Andrew Cameron. This would leave coach Gareth Abrahamson more time up forward to team up with the dynamic Dylan Kent, who missed much of last season through injury, to kick winning scores each week. Baden Dodd can be a match-winner on his day. He has pace; great aerial ability and can boot the ball a country mile. He is an excellent go-to player already, but needs to step up and be more consistent each week to be a real thorn in the side of opposition players. He is a brilliant player when on song.

Best case scenario: Last year the Cats finished sixth with nine victories but a poor percentage kept them out of the finals. If Dylan Kent, Gareth Abrahamson and Baden Dodd can kick at least 100-120 goals between them, the Cats will sneak into the five and play finals football.

Worst case scenario: The Cats could struggle once again if it does not kick enough high totals and its defence cannot stop the good top five sides from kicking mammoth scores against it. A slide from sixth to seventh or eight could be the end result.

Club Previews - South Gambier

Blue Lake buzzing
Article by Simon Bampfield, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer partnership.

A retooled squad has sent a buzz around Blue Lake Sports Park as the Demons try to get back the glory days of premierships.

The off season has been an up and down path for South Gambier, but the mood couldn't be better.

"It's been very positive, we've obviously lost some food footballers in the off season, but we've picked up some food footballers and a couple of blokes that have had a year off are coming back", senior coach Mick Ryan said.

One of the most important players that is coming back in Heath Sims who broke his leg last season and missed most of it.

There are a number of other reasons why Ryan is looking forward to the 2007 competition.

"We've got some young blokes coming through so we are looking forward to the season.

"We have picked up a couple of six foot four blokes in Adam Hamilton and Joe Noonan and they have added a bit of height to the club which we needed."

The club has also gone out its way to replace the departing midfield of Job Copping, Jason Rowe and Brent Howard.

"Heath Mitchell has come back from a year off, he gives us a bit of hardness and Ben McGregor has come from the Mid South East too, he is an on baller, half-back flanker and he is quality as well."

Just how these players fit into the team is hard to tell at this early stage.

"Look it is probably hard to tell, we have added some blokes, but we have lost basically our whole midfield from last year so I guess we will know about half a dozen games in."

That is all depending on a number of other factors as well as such as youth development.

"We have got some young blokes that you hope can take a step up a bit, and we have added a couple of talls so I think we will be strong in that department."

Ryan is confident his troops can mesh together quickly and keep playing finals football.

"I still as a coach believe that we are good enough to play in finals and once you get in finals you never know."

One thing that the club has put an emphasis over the summer months is accountability.

"Looking at our game plan from last year I just thought we were a little but undisciplined and weren't being accountable.

"That is what we have been working on over this pre season and get that discipline that I always reckon South had, but it kind of dropped off a but last year."

The Demons are also going to make sure the opposition is accountable as well and there will be some changes to the way the side plays.

"I think most game styles are going to change with these rule changes isn't it?

"With the hands in the back thing I think it's going to create a bit more openness in the forward line and if you have height in your forward line it's going to have height in the forward line."

Overall there is a definite changing of the guard at South Gambier, and while the club still has plenty of classy veterans, the Demons are hoping the youngsters can take the next step.

"I don't want to name any of them because I don't want to leave any of them out, but we have probably got six to eight blokes that have played anywhere up to 20-30 games now.

"I am really looking for those guys to, rather than just playing each week, to start contributing in more of a leadership role because you need the younger blokes to start grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck every so often and it takes the pressure off the older blokes."

Ryan will be aiming at doing just that when the season kicks off on April 14 and throughout the opening rounds, which can make or break a team's season.

"I think its very important, especially if you've got some younger blokes in the team and some newer blokes, if you get off to a good start it gives them confidence.

"Last year we lost the first couple and it puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the first round."

With the season so close there is genuine excitement around the playing group.

"Definitely, when you have a long pre season you get excited, even when the practise matches come around you know the real thing isn't far away."

South Gambier is just one of 10 clubs that all want to play finals, and Ryan knows just how close the competition is.

"This year is going to be very exciting, by the look of it Portland are going to be very strong again, but I think the rest of the teams its going to be pretty tight and early wins could be very important because I don't see a lot of difference between the teams."

Senior coach: Mick Ryan
Assistant coach: Heath Sims, Paul Mullen
Reserves coach: Michael Fox
Sungold Milk U18s coach: Michael Dethmore

Ins: Ben McGregor (Port MacDonnell), Adam Hamilton (Hatherleigh), Joe Noonan (Hatherleigh), Luke Foran (Labrador), Mark Wighton (West Gambier), Michael Jones (Glencoe), Geoff Ashurst (Nairne Bremer United).

Outs: Jon Copping (Penola), Brent Howard (Casterton), Jason Rowe (Tantanoola), Tim Smith (Glencoe), Matthew Butler (Kongorong), Mark Hunter (Kongorong), Shaun Watson (Glencoe), Thomas Pegler (Adelaide University), Nicholas Pink (Tantanoola), Josh Wilson (Blackwood).

Track stars: The players that have done an amazing amount of work on the track at Blue Lake Sports Park are a couple of returning players that have lifted the enthusiasm around the place.

"Heath Mitchell, he has come back, he is always fit and he has come back exactly the same and he is one of those blokes that seems to get other blokes pushing harder at training," coach Mick Ryan said.

"Benny McGregor has come from the Mid South East, I reckon he has trained really hard and the same thing he seems to get other blokes involved when you are doing the hard running and keeps the voice going."

Best case scenario: It is very hard to judge South Gambier at the moment with so many new faces in the senior line-up. If any club in the Western Border can sustain the losses of such a good midfield it is the Demons. At this stage the best case scenario would be second place on the ladder.

Worst case scenario: The biggest concern is just how the new guys will gel together and if the youngsters can step up, if they don't the Demons could well miss out on the finals.

Club Previews - West Gambier

Long Season Ahead
Article by Cody Winnell, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

GIVE West Gambier a few years and hopefully, if you have a soft spot for the Roos, finals will be on the agenda again.

But one thing's for certain says new coach Ashleigh Brown. That is, West won't be buying its way into the top half of the ladder ever again.

In 2006 the Roos decided to fly players from Adelaide each weekend. But these guys, some of whom were supremely talented, didn't train with the senior group and this stood out like the proverbial, well, dog's 'parts' come Saturday afternoon.

While West improved its win/loss ratio in 2005 and 2006 - mainly due to out-of-town based recruits - Brown is of the opinion that the club is in an even worse predicament now than when it was lamenting at the bottom of the ladder three years ago.

When speaking with The Spectator on Wednesday Brown squarely pointed the finger at the club's former committee and its coach, Grant Russell, for the demise of West's list this year.

"I think when you leave a club you should aim to have it in a better position than when you joined. Clearly, with the last coach, this didn't happen.

"When you consider how much money they spent, and for what? They finished fifth. It was a terrible waste in my opinion."

So given his unflattering opinion about the state of the club why did Brown sign on?

"It's going to be a good challenge," Brown explained.

"I've moved back here full-time now and it's great that I've been able to get a role with a club at the ground level.

"This is a great opportunity for me to work with some really good club people and build the club into what we want."

But that, he ways, will take time.

"I'm realistic. I don't expect instant success.

"It's going to take some time to put this club back where it should be," Brown said.

So, will the former Millicent coach who last year led East Davenport be able to replace the massive number of West Gambier 'outs' in his first season?

He doubts it.

Mark Kruger - who's been an integral part of West Gambier's midfield for such a long time, plus handy out-of-town players Cameron Hall, Anthony Matthews, Shane Hanson and co. have moved on.

Add Mark Bourchier, Boyd Kenny, Danny Whiteman and others to the 'outgoing' list and it's a disaster in terms of player retention.

But despite being likely to lack on-field personnel - in terms of experienced players - Brown is happy with the group he's currently got.

"These are guys that want to be there," he said.

"The kids especially have been great. Some of them deserved opportunities last season in the seniors and they just didn't get them."

Two very important 'ins' for West are new assistant-coach Steve Ellis and recruited midfielder Chris Reid.

That pair will ease the pressure on the Roos' kids, but surely they're not going to be able to perform miracles.

Brown is currently signed as a non-playing coach, but he admitted that he'd likely play one or two games, if right, during the year.

"I'm really enjoying working with the players at the moment and while we're not expecting instant success, I am looking forward to the start of the season and helping get this club back on track," he said.

Senior coach: Ashleigh Brown
Assistant coach: Steve Ellis
Reserves coach: Mike Suto

Ins: Ashleigh Brown (East Davenport), Steve Ellis (Greensborough), Chris Reid (Mt Eliza).

Outs: Scott Fraser (Two Wells), Danny Whiteman (Gawler), Daniel Crabb (Henley), Mark Kruger (Berri), Anthony Matthews (Mildura), Mark Bourchier (Kongorong), Shane Hanson (Berri), Mark Wighton (South Gambier), Boyd Kenny (Paskeville), Adam Marcus (Caloundra), Nathan King (Nangwarry), Brad Wilson (West Gambier).

Best case scenario: It's hard to put West Gambier any higher than eighth on the ladder with Hamilton, Heywood and Millicent expected to improve on 2006. Unless there are some very good recruits hiding in the wings ready to be unveiled in the last week before the home-and-away season begins, West Gambier's best case scenario would be to avoid the wooden spoon. Regardless of where it ends up, West's kids are going to get valuable experience playing senior football this year.

Worst case scenario: Unfortunately the club is favoured to pick up the wooden spoon this season. If it gets it, it's obviously not good for the players' confidence. However, coach Ashleigh Brown and the current committee are keen to rebuild this club from the bottom. The long-term future looks bright, but short term don't expect too much.

Club Previews - North Gambier

Looking to break hoodoo
Article by Dean Millard, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer partnership.

NORTH Gambier coach Ian Stafford has no doubts about why he is at the helm of the South Australian Tigers this season; to break the club's finals "hoodoo" and win its first flag since 1989.

North has played in 15 of the 17 finals series' since then and appeared in the grand final three times, but has not been able to break through for a premiership, something Stafford hopes his experience can help to overcome.

Stafford's final's track record is very impressive, having coached Nuriootpa in the Barossa Light and Gawler Football League to five premierships in six years through the late 90s.

Stafford said he believes North has the players in its list to make the finals once again this year, but added he believes they can go the next step.

"My number one goal is obviously to make finals, although that certainly does not seem to be a problem for them anyway," Stafford said.

"That (winning the flag) is one of the reasons I am here, to try and help overcome that problem if we get that far.

"I think they are all carrying around burdens of 20 years and I don't really think they need to be doing that.

"I think the psychological approach to finals should we get that far will be a lot different to what it has been previously.

It has been a very quiet off season for North, both on the track and in a recruiting sense.

Stafford said clashes with other sports had resulted in a very unsettled pre season and would probably result in the SA Tigers having a slow start to the season while the whole playing group learned how he wanted them to play.

North will go into the season without having played a full practice match, with just a few internal scratch matches and the Elastoplast Cup to gauge how it is travelling.

Stafford said it is more than likely his first look at how some of the players in his team play will be in round one.

"There are a few of them that I still haven't seen play at all because of cricket going so late.

"There are a few older senior guys that I will have to go on a wing and a prayer a bit, but we will piece something together.

At the time of going to print North has just one new player on the transfer list, 33-year-old utility Richard Newcombe, and seven on the way out, the main ones being Michael Durbridge, Kingsley Clark and Anthony Kilsby, while Travis Hole will miss the entire season with a knee injury.

Stafford said the club had a couple more "ins" not on the list, with young players Craig Lock and Danny Vinko to return after having a year off.

Stafford said he changed the focus of pre season training at the club to be more skills based, saying all of the fitness work had come via ball drills.

"I think it has been a bit different, I think it has been a lot more skill and structure based than in the past.

"Right from the start we have been doing everything with footies and not doing any running just for the sake of running, they have been doing all of that themselves.

"Their skills have picked up already."

While the player personnel may not have changed too much since last season Stafford said spectators can expect to see a few changes to the way the team lines up, with big plans for two of the club's best players.

He said young spearhead Wade Ryan has been very impressive on the track so far and predicted huge improvement from the livewire this season, although perhaps not in the forward line.

"He just needs to reach his potential, because he is an enormously talented kid.

"He is one of the guys who just needs some help in setting himself some goals and really achieving what he is capable of achieving.

"Where he plays is another matter, but we will certainly be looking to get him to improve his overall performance from what it has been.

"He is a very talented human, so I will certainly be looking to work with him to see that his overall performance is more consistent than what it has been."

The other big statement from Stafford was in regards to dual Western Border medallist ruckman Scott Flett, who Stafford said was wasted in the ruck.

"He won't be rucking like he has in the previous few years, that is for sure.

"I don't want him doing that sort of physical work when other people are capable of doing that.

"He should be using his skill and his ability to get it moving and that is what we will be using him for."

It may disturb other coaches to hear that Stafford believes Flett is on track for his best ever season of football, a huge call for someone with Flett's footballing resume.

"With what we will want him to do and the positions we will want him to play I think he will be better than what you or anyone else has seen for a while."

Senior coach: Ian Stafford
Reserves coach: Mark Vinko
Sungold Milk U18s coach: Garth Willoughby

Ins: Richard Newcombe (Nuriootpa Rovers).

Outs: Kingsley Clark (Penola), Michael Durbridge (South Rovers), Anthony Kilsby (Kalangadoo), Shane Frankenburg (Port MacDonnell), Matthew Stevenson (Robe), Arron Heron (Hatherleigh), Josh Sidebottom (Scotch OC).

Track stars: The kids

"I don't like pumping kids up in newspapers too early, I'd rather let them find their own way in the world first," Senior coach Ian Stafford said.

Who is ready for a big season? "I reckon Fletty (Scott Flett), will be better than what you have seen for a while. "I reckon Wade Ryan will be better and Cameron Campbell I would think will be a better player too."

Best case scenario: A lot will depend on the development of North's younger players, but the SA Tigers should once again find themselves chasing the flag at the end of September.

Worst case scenario: Given the interrupted pre season and potential changes to team structure North could start very slowly, which in what appears to be a fairly even competition this season, may give the top five too big of a head start and see them just outside at the end of the season.

Club Previews already posted: West Gambier, South Gambier, Casterton, East Gambier & Millicent

Club Previews - Hamilton

New Coach Watts brings optimism
Article by Phil Holmes, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

IT HAS been a rocky start for the Hamilton Football Club in 2007, but with the signing of Mark Watts as senior coach, comes optimism and the new Magpies coach is confident his team will improve.

Watts believes Hamilton could well sneak under the radar for the first few rounds and hopes to get a win on the board early.

"It's amazing what a couple of weeks can do in footy and honestly it has taken a bit to get up and running, but now things are really falling into place.

"I like to think we're like a train building up momentum and it's now time for a few of the old Hamilton people to jump on board," Watts said.

In 2006, Hamilton finished the home-and-away season with one win and 17 losses, the clubs worst record in its Western Border history.

Many behind the scenes were angered by the form and have worked hard to get the club back on track for the upcoming season.

Working closely with newly appointed reserves coach Jason Gibbons and thirds premiership coach Colin 'Speed' Riddle, management of the list should be a smooth process according to Watts.

"The club didn't sign Jason as two's coach recently so he's been given the tough task of getting a side together in a short amount of time," Watts said.

"It's not easy getting reserves together for the first game but he's been fantastic and has made a lot of phone calls and numbers have been impressive at training because of it.

Hamilton's under-18s won the premiership in 2006 and again it has a strong list with Riddle at the helm.

Watts hopes to blood the kids that impress the most and believes there will be some surprise packets coming through the ranks.

"I hope to be working pretty closely with Speed (Riddle), he's going to have a very strong side again this year with a good bunch of kids.

"One that really impresses me is young Sam Cranage, he's the brother of Brent and has played a lot of senior footy for Edenhope-Apsley.

"At just 17, he has a huge future in footy," Watts said.

A number of 2004 premiership players have made the decision to suit up for the Black and White, with ex-skipper, Damien Ferguson, a key inclusion.

Add Joe Sherlock, Dale Waldron, Adam Coulter and Huw Spring to the list and things are definitely on the up for the Magpies.

Spring played with Mansfield under ex-Geelong football David Mensch and was a part of its premiership team in 2005.

Another exciting inclusion for Hamilton is ex-Hawthorn player, Kane Fraser, who Watts described as a good character to have around the club.

"Kane has brought to Hamilton in all different aspects, fitness is a big part of his life and you can see it rubbing off on a few of the others," Watts said.

"Also on the field he's a bit of a nutter, which is something we really need to stir the blokes up. Hopefully he can get the boys to come out of their shell."

Although its recruited reasonably well in the off-season, Hamilton has lost the bulk of its leadership group from 2006.

Last season's senior coach, Glenn Doyle, has departed and is seeking a clearance to play with Laharum, while his assistant, Steve Nichol will play with Alexandra.

Joe Kenna was the shining light for Hamilton last year and his departure leaves a big hole in the team's midfield stocks.

Sam Lewis has secured work in the Wimmera and will join Doyle at Laharum, while another footballer on the rise is Dan Evans who will play for Newtown and Chilwell in Geelong due to university.

There has been a few changes, especially at the top and a new culture at Hamilton could well bring new found success.

Senior coach: Mark Watts
Assistant coach: Kane Fraser
Reserves coach: Jason Gibbons
Sungold Milk U18s coach: Colin Riddle

Ins: Mark Watts (Parooka), Joe Sherlock , Patrick Sherlock, Scott Richards (Penshurst), Huw Spring (Mansfield), Dale Waldron (Coleraine), Guy Sevior (Phillip Island), Adam Coulter, Drew Deary (Casterton), Daniel McArthur (Glenthompson-Dunkeld), Andrew Button (Avondale Heights), Matt Cranage (Edenhope-Apsley).

Outs: Glenn Doyle, Sam Lewis (Laharum), Steve Nicol (Alexandra), Joe Kenna, David McIntosh (work commitments), Rick Waldron (Cavendish), Daniel Evans (Newtown and Chilwell), Nathan Isles (Warrnambool), Jamie Logan, Matthew Roberts, Cain Jenkins, Scott Graham (Imperial's).

Track stars: Mark Watts said the most impressive of all is young utility, Pat Sherlock.

"Patty's work-rate is second to none and in our running events he's finished top two every time. He�s set for a big season and it's great to see him back in the Black and White," Watts said.

"Shaun Picken and Andrew Button have both dropped about seven or eight kilos and look pretty keen to have big seasons. Their size will be more than useful up the spine.

"Rob Webb, Damien Ferguson, Ben Williams and Lachie Crawford, these blokes are all naturally fit and just make it look so easy. Webb has been superb and he�s as fit as anyone, I was really impressed with him in the practice match against Merrivale.

"Crawf injured his ankle playing basketball but he'll be right by round one, we are expecting big things from him as well.

Best case scenario: Mark Watts is a very optimistic operator and if he can install hope into his troops early in the season then the Magpies may bob up and surprise a few teams mid-year.

Depth will be a problem and it the top 20 to 25 players can stay fit, Hamilton is a chance of finishing in fifth position.

Worst case scenario: It couldn't get any worse than 2006 and with the current demise of West Gambier, the Roos are odds-on favourites to take the wooden spoon.

If injury does affect the team during the year, then again, depth will be a problem and Hamilton could find itself only one rung up the ladder in ninth spot.

Club Previews - Heywood

Lions to become more potent
Article by Dean Millard, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

HEYWOOD will become a more potent goal scoring force this season if new senior coach Keith Ransom has his way.

Ransom said Heywood's scores last season prove that the side was getting enough of the ball in its defence and midfield and it was just the forward line that letting it down, which is something that he plans to change.

"The structure we are trying to get is a forward line structure," Ransom said.

"If you want to put a thing down as a preseason goal it is definitely to get the front half to kick more goals and keep the ball in their area a bit longer."

It is one of a number of changes Ransom is trying to introduce at the club, including discipline and an understanding of a good team structure.

This year will mark 10 years since the Lions last tasted finals action, with the ever-loyal Heywood fans growing hungrier by the year.

At one stage it looked like Ransom would have to rebuild the side from scratch this season, with a number of key personnel on the way out, but some hard work from the committee has managed to keep almost the entire senior side intact, with a few notable additions.

The biggest name on the ins list is undoubtedly Peter Shepherd, who was a sensation last time he called the Heywood Recreation Reserve home.

Shepherd returns with a bit more weight on his frame than when he left, which should help him to hold down the key forward position and possible improve on his haul of 64.

Ransom said Shepherd would likely spend more time up forward than last time he played at Heywood and should form a formidable three-way attack with Tom Dempsey and Ben Nash.

Nash is probably the name that may surprise in that group, having spent the majority of his career on the ball and resting froward, but Ransom says the 26-year-old has the potential to be a force from the goal square.

"Ben Nash presents himself well as a forward player.

"He could be another Ryan Larcombe the way he presents himself."

The loss of ruckman and former coach Shane Keegan left a big hole in a side that last year did not boast a lot of height, but with the inclusions of 18-year old Charlie Kitchin, Derrick Gepp (younger brother of ruckman Aaron) and the late season return of Aaron Rogers Ransom believes the teams spine actually looks stronger.

"I think if you look at Geppy (Aaron Gepp), the weight he has thrown off himself since the start of last year - the first game I say him play last year he looked a bit ordinary to me, he was out of the game, he was more concerned with the body than he was the ball, so we want to change his game this year.

"He looks a lot stronger over head and he is certainly a lot fitter than he was last year, so I think he will carry the ruck work for Heywood."

"If you work out a spine you put Derreck Gepp, hopefully Johnny Bell, down in the forward line and you have got Tom Dempsey and Peter Shepherd, with Charlie Kitchin looking around down there as well, the height is there at Heywood for sure."

Heywood's midfield also looks sound enough, with Andrew Ryan and John Dunn, along with veteran centreman Brett Pevitt and Ben Nash to rotate through.

The only concern for the club could again be the depth, with the bulk of the side very young.

There is stacks of potential in players like last year�s under-18 best and fairest winner Scott Gordon, Josh Marnell, Kye Bunworth and Tyson Lovett-Murray, but the test will be if these sorts of players can maintain their consistency for an entire season.

With this in mind, Ransom's desire to hit the ground running this season could put the side in good stead, as a few early wins could help the side ride out any mid-season slumps.

"Our goal is to win early games.

"The way sides have structured themselves this year, especially when you look at a few of the teams that are struggling, the same as probably us, the goal has to be to get early wins."

If Heywood can get the jump on the competition early and keep its top tier of players on the track for the majority of the season it will be a real chance to push hard for a place in the finals.

Heywood, however, has made a nasty habit of letting a promising start slip away as the season goes on in recent years, something that will need to change for this group to become a genuine finals threat.

Ransom certainly seems to be preaching the message of change to his troops, it is just a matter of whether they listen and act on it.

Senior coach: Keith Ransom
Assistant coach: John Dunn
Reserves coach: Dean Millard
Sungold Milk U18s coach: Brett Pevitt

Ins: Aaron Rogers (Tyrendarra), Andre Barr (Rokewood Corindhap), Charlie Kitchin (Branxholme-Wallacedale), Lenny Cooper (Sandford), Stuart Malcolm (Portland), Luke Burton (George Town), Ross Arezzoco (Rowville), Jason King (Portland), Gary Barber (Westerns), Ashley Rose (University)

Outs: Brenton Nickless (Westerns), Shane Keegan (Heathmere), Chris Lynd (Heathmere), Dale Askew (Heathmere), Nick Sutton (Tyrendarra), Joel Wylie (Heathmere), Lachie McLean (Heathmere), Robert Gordon (Camperdown).

Track Stars: Aaron Gepp, Charlie Kitchin, Josh Marnell, Azman Rory, Ben Nash, John Dunn.

Club Previews - Imperial's

Looking forward to September
Article by Cody Winnell, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

COACH Jason Muldoon says he is most looking forward to witnessing the development of Imperials' younger players when season 2007 begins this weekend.

He wants to gauge their development from last year to this year.

But most of all he's looking forward to September, as Imperials are a realistic finals competitor thanks to an injection of depth that was the club was devoid of last season.

Recruits like Scott Day, Adam Keilar, Clinton Thomas, Hamish Waldron, Trevor Row and Jack Behncke should be walk up starters in the ones this year, while another recruit Jamie Ferguson will likely spend more time in a North Ballarat Rebels' jumper.

But when fit expect him to play a major role with the Doggies.

Muldoon said there was "a bit of a 1995 feel" around the club.

While he wasn't suggesting for a second that the now Imps would, necessarily, have as much success as the then Dogs, he said it was easy to draw comparisons between the two groups.

"There's a really good mix of youth and experience at the moment.

It's an exciting position to be in.

"I'm not saying we'll achieve what Imps did in 1995 but the enthusiasm around the place is excellent."

This was enhanced along with Imp's preseason fitness level when the Dogs won the Elastoplast Cup recently, defeating South Gambier in impressive fashion in the grand final.

While Muldoon's not getting too excited about that result, he's happy with the publicity and the interest it created.

"I've had people come up to me in the street and ask me questions about where the club's at and how we're going and everybody is really positive about it," Muldoon said.

"It think it also reinforced that our fitness levels are exactly where they should be and where we want them to be.

"We did a lot more work before Christmas this time and it's really catapulted us into a great position."

One of the pre-season cup stars for Imps was Brad Falkenberg, who booted four goals in the grand final.

The 21-year-old looked set for a huge season last year before going overseas.

This year he's bigger and hungrier than ever.

"It's important to remember he's only 21," Muldoon said.

"But he's been around forever.

"We're certainly planning on him having a big year."

While ideal at full-forward Muldoon said he wouldn't pigeonhole the strong man.

"At Cobden the other day (in a practice match) he played in the middle and was very hard at the football.

"He's versatile."

Up forward, where it's expected Falkenberg will play most of his footy, Imps have boom recruit Day who Muldoon raves about.

"He's only a young bloke but his athleticism and goal kicking is as good as any young bloke I've seen in a long while."

It's expected Day and Falkenberg will work solidly alongside superstar Grant Ewing, who will spend more time than last year up forward.

Muldoon tipped Ewing would kick 50-60 goals.

The midfield is where Imps' major strength lies.

"Brad Thomas, Josh Dore, Jamie Ferguson, Hamish Waldron, Mick Uebergang, they're all fit young blokes who'll run all day."

Imperials' back line will be similar to the 2006 model. Names like James McIntosh, who is a developing centre-half-back, Simon Thomas, Matt Dunn, Travis Membrey and Brad White will provide plenty of drive.

"The back line was pretty good last year so we won't be moving them around too much. They're pretty well settled," Muldoon explained.

Senior coach: Jason Muldoon
Assistant coach: Grant Ewing
Reserves coach: Greg Millard
Sungold Milk U18 coach: Paul Cleaver

Ins: Jamie Ferguson (Glenthompson-Dunkeld), Scott Day (Glenthompson-Dunkeld), Adam Keilar (Glenthompson-Dunkeld), Cain Jenkins (Hamilton), Trevor Row (Coleraine), Hamish Waldron (Coleraine), Clinton Thomas (Koroit), Chris Huggins (Penshurst), Andrew Behncke (Caramut), Nigel Starick (Elmore), Ben Heafield (Whorouly).

Outs: Shane Hammond (Glenthompson-Dunkeld), Basil Lyon (Caramut), Adam Manson (Port Douglas).

Track stars: Trevor Remfrey has been really good says coach Jason Muldoon. Brad Thomas has been the same, but he's as professional as they come and you expect that. It has been good across the board at Imps.

Best case scenario: The sky's the limit for the Dogs. If everything falls into place then there's no reason they can't finish top two or three.

Worst case scenario: Injuries strike, the kids don't fire and Imps miss the finals. It looks unlikely though.

Club Previews - Portland

Starting favourites:
Article by Dean Millard, courtesy of the Spectator-Observer Partnership

LOSING your captain and reigning best and fairest winner in the off season is never a good start, but the fact that Portland is still the early favourite to go back-to-back this season speaks volumes on the quality of this outfit.

Tigers coach Mark Jeffries assembled a great outfit last season, with a good mix of young local players, experienced seniors and classy recruits, which he then led to a minor premiership and eventually the flag.

With very few transfers either in or out of the club in the off-season another preseason in the legs of the kids it would seem the Tigers may get even better this season.

Aside from Holt the only regular senior players to depart from the club are wingman Shane Fowles, defender Andrew Hewson and onballer/forward Daniel Falcone, and with someone of the quality of Magarey Medallist Damien Squire joining the ranks of full forward David Niemann reportedly in the best shape the club has seen the senior unit looks as strong as ever.

Jeffries said while there was no sign of the dreaded premiership hangover on the track so far, the club had taken a different approach to preseason this year, backing off on the hard running to best prepare the players to make it through a whole season.

"We thought about the conditions and we haven't done a lot of hard running or road running because of the state of the grounds being very firm," Jeffries said.

"A lot of our fitness work has been done with the footies and beach work.

"We don't expect to be up and absolutely flying at the start of the year.

"At the same time I think a few other sides have probably taken the same tact as us, because it has been a very dry summer with some very hard grounds and really push blokes may well be to your detriment.

"So we have just tried to play it a bit smarter this season; we should be right by round two or three."

Jeffries said the signing of Squires was obviously a bonus for the club, but added he was not too concerned about the lack of other recruits at the club, saying he believes the depth at the club is strong enough to see all three sides be competitive once again.

"You have to look at last year, we have played in all three grand finals, so we have obviously got some depth within the club, there is no great urgency to go out and recruit blokes into the club.

We have definitely tried to pick up a few blokes from the local area, and that perhaps hasn't come to fruition as much as we would have liked, but the young fellas we have got coming through will become good players for the club in due time."

Jeffries said it as a little concerning to have so many second year players in his senior line up but added he believes these guys were much more experienced and level headed tan your average second year players.

"You have got to worry a little but with having that many guys in ther second year, but there are some pretty good young heads on those blokes.

"We have got eight or nine young blokes who have come straight out of the Sungold Milk under-18s, winning one there, and then came up last year and won one in the seniors as well.

"They know what it takes to win another premiership and I know what it takes as well.

It is easy to see what Jeffries means when the "young blokes" at your club include players of the calibre of James Imbi, Zac Edwards and Marcus England, who Jeffries believe are all headed for bigger seasons than last year.

The younger of the Imbi brothers is certainly on track for a big one after picking up the best and fairest award for AFL Northern Territory League.

While a few of Portland's big names have reportedly had quieter than usual pre seasons this remains a side that certainly can not be taken lightly and deserves to be regarded as the team to beat at this stage.

Senior coach: Mark Jeffries
Assistant coach: Winis Imbi (captain)
Reserves coach: Troy Bannam
Sungold Milk Under 18 coach: Jamie Cammarano

Ins: Damien Squire (Sturt), Jeremy Reynolds (Merrivale), Ben Holien (Westerns), Jason Grundy (Tyrendarra).

Outs: Shane Fowles (Koroit), Jarrod Holt (Bacchus Marsh), Dale Mibus (Tyrendarra), Daniel Hotson (Westerns), Scott Fink (Heathmere), Nicholas Gutheridge (Heathmere), Paul Young (Heathmere), Matthew Harris (Heathmere), Michael Pene (Heathmere), Andrew Smith (Tyrendarra), Stuart Malcolm (Heywood), Lyndon Guy (Westerns), Shaun Trenorden (Deakin University), Tim Brayshaw (Redan), Jason King (Heywood), Kane Roberts (Westerns), Daniel Falcone (relocated), Andrew Hewson (travelling).

Track stars: "It has been a consistent group," Mark Jeffries said.

Best case scenario: Definitely a chance to go back to back this season, especially if some of its big names can remain injury free.

Worst case scenario: May not be able to ride our injuries quite as well as last year with a few fringe players departing, while a slower start than last season may also be on the cards. Should still finish top three regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back