AFLW Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Casey Dumont

Remove this Banner Ad

As an "Aussie soccer fan", I have watched Casey play for Melbourne Victory for quite a few years. She's a quality person and pretty talented at soccer (she has three caps for the Matildas and is probably unlucky not to have more, but she's up against quite a few good keepers for the Matildas, such as Lydia Williams, Teagan Micah and Mackenzie Arnold). I don't have any idea how she will manage the transition from playing soccer to Aussie rules but we can count on her to give it everything.

As an "Aussie soccer fan", I have watched Casey play for Melbourne Victory for quite a few years. She's a quality person and pretty talented at soccer (she has three caps for the Matildas and is probably unlucky not to have more, but she's up against quite a few good keepers for the Matildas, such as Lydia Williams, Teagan Micah and Mackenzie Arnold). I don't have any idea how she will manage the transition from playing soccer to Aussie rules but we can count on her to give it everything.

No background in Aussie Rules as a junior means it is diffcult to draw a parallel with an obvious comparison in Bri Davey.

Height, catching and kicking skills should aid in her ability to transfer well. Hopefully some aspects of game sense as well.

Plenty of current/ex Irish/A-League/WNBL/Netballlers/Hockey players have been able to transition into AFLW and I am sure both Hawthorn and Casey are confident it will work well but that it won't be any major catastrophe for either party if it doesn't.

No background in Aussie Rules as a junior means it is diffcult to draw a parallel with an obvious comparison in Bri Davey.

Height, catching and kicking skills should aid in her ability to transfer well. Hopefully some aspects of game sense as well.

Plenty of current/ex Irish/A-League/WNBL/Netballlers/Hockey players have been able to transition into AFLW and I am sure both Hawthorn and Casey are confident it will work well but that it won't be any major catastrophe for either party if it doesn't.
Hawks biggest issue is tall forwards.
It's been addressed this off season, and can see her playing up forward with mates. Cunningham is our best defender despite being a capable forward and perko couldn't get a game in the final round last yr when everyone was in exams

If casey is able to take a mark in a contest (not dissimilar to a GK taking a cross) it'll be invaluable

And the press release from the mariners makes it sound like her AFLW foray isn’t over yet

Last edited:
And the press release from the mariners makes it sound like her AFLW foray isn’t over yet

Dumont has protected her tweets, but one of her tweets indicated she sees the prospect of being able to play both AFLW and A-League Women's, since the A-League Women's competition ends before pre-season training for AFLW begins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back