Welcome New Posters - Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was once a Hawks interstate member and followed them for many years. Odd thing about not being a Giants supporter in your case is you're pretty new to AFL.
I'd suggest looking at attending games if you can, unlike other codes Aussie rules is way better live in my view.
Welcome though.
Went to Carlton/ Collingwood at the "G" a number of years ago. Agree completely. Awesome game to watch live. I would probably have an experience ten times better than that now given I have a much better understanding of the game now compared to then. Would love to get to some games in the future if time/ work permits.

Went to Carlton/ Collingwood at the "G" a number of years ago. Agree completely. Awesome game to watch live. I would probably have an experience ten times better than that now given I have a much better understanding of the game now compared to then. Would love to get to some games in the future if time/ work permits.
We're a oretty cosmopolitan lot. I'm sure you'll notice other oppo sigs as regulars. Doubt you'll have a prob, Determinant is very active and he'll know you anyway.

I wanted to start posting on the GWS board but thought I should check the waters with the moderator first, given that my profile shows me as a hawks supporter.

I count at least four very regular posters on the GWS board that list other teams as their primarily supported one - Simmofreo, kulak, Raymann and obviously myself. You're fine. :)

I grew up in Penrith and followed the Panthers as my dad has been a member for 35 years. I played Netball and Soccer as a kid, and my mum coached our Netball team at one point and took me along to many of the Swift's games from a young age.

I had zero interest in AFL growing up. The Giants entered the AFL when I was 18 and my dad became a foundation member. I loosely followed the Giants, only because my dad got more and more into them with every game he went to.

It wasn't until last year that I got right into them and decided I needed to go to a game. It wasn't until the preliminary final against the Dogs that I went to my first AFL match as my dad got some tickets through someone he knew.

It only took me five minutes before I was cheering the Giants on. I've been hooked ever since. I found BigFooty on the eve of the qualifying final against Sydney and joined just after our prelim loss.

I'd say that I'm a Giant for life, and now that my boyfriend of eight months is a Swans' supporter, it makes life interesting. My dad is always ribbing him (he's also a Sea Eagles' fan) so AFL and the various rivalries are rife in our household. Hehe!

How did you come to be a Giants fan?
I was a big League fan and part time swans fan. When the Giants came in, I grew up in Western Sydney and played AFL at school so thought I’d jump on the train. Went to their first game at ANZ Stadium against the Swans and was on board from there. Also helps my fiancée loves AFL and no other sport...so that makes my viewing habits an easy choice We live in Country NSW and make the pilgrimage to Sydney multiple times per year and Melbourne at least once a year to see the boys.

Who is your favourite Giant and why?
Steve Conoglio. Said fiancée has a huge crush (calls him Zaccy...as in Efron) but if I’m honest, so do I. I believe our best player across the park, always finds the ball, never selfish and can kick a goal. A Smokey for 2018 Brownlow I reckon.

What's your favourite memory as a GWS fan?
Being at Manuka Oval for their first win against the Suns in 2012.

How do you like your eggs? ;)
Poached of course

Awesome to be on the forum!!

I was a big League fan and part time swans fan. When the Giants came in, I grew up in Western Sydney and played AFL at school so thought I’d jump on the train. Went to their first game at ANZ Stadium against the Swans and was on board from there. Also helps my fiancée loves AFL and no other sport...so that makes my viewing habits an easy choice We live in Country NSW and make the pilgrimage to Sydney multiple times per year and Melbourne at least once a year to see the boys.

Steve Conoglio. Said fiancée has a huge crush (calls him Zaccy...as in Efron) but if I’m honest, so do I. I believe our best player across the park, always finds the ball, never selfish and can kick a goal. A Smokey for 2018 Brownlow I reckon.

Poached of course

Awesome to have a new Giants fan.

Poached of course

Welcome
More the merrier

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Poached of course

Welcome, dive in :)

OK I post on general issues sometimes but rarely team stuff but have been encouraged to jump in here.

Was a South Melbourne supporter growing up in the 70s, gutted when they moved to Sydney, my family were rusted on and I didnt go or watch VFL/AFL for years after that, used to wander down to Port Melbourne VFA and really enjoyed it, kept the dream of suburban footy alive for some years.

Then some upheaval a few years ago and I had to move to NSW, lets just say west, west, west Sydney, my interest waned as I was surprised suddenly how little coverage in this part of the world, but its picked up in the last 10 years.

Jumped on GWS for a way back in to the game when they started up, always hated Sheedy but had to bury the hatchet.

That's it, enjoy watching the project players develop more so than the recruits and "can't miss kids", I think only us, Swans, Richmond and maybe Geelong can win this year. Depends on injuries and luck

OK I post on general issues sometimes but rarely team stuff but have been encouraged to jump in here.

Was a South Melbourne supporter growing up in the 70s, gutted when they moved to Sydney, my family were rusted on and I didnt go or watch VFL/AFL for years after that, used to wander down to Port Melbourne VFA and really enjoyed it, kept the dream of suburban footy alive for some years.

Then some upheaval a few years ago and I had to move to NSW, lets just say west, west, west Sydney, my interest waned as I was surprised suddenly how little coverage in this part of the world, but its picked up in the last 10 years.

Jumped on GWS for a way back in to the game when they started up, always hated Sheedy but had to bury the hatchet.

That's it, enjoy watching the project players develop more so than the recruits and "can't miss kids", I think only us, Swans, Richmond and maybe Geelong can win this year. Depends on injuries and luck

Welcome aboard :) I totally get where you are coming from, I’m a long term saints supporter and member but never got to see them live, hated the swans so the giants were a perfect fit for me also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys, only just discovered that this thread existed so I thought I might give it a go and introduce myself.

I actually only started following the afl three years ago when I was living overseas and started to miss all things Australian. I decided to show my girlfriend the sport so we watched a giants vs roos game, and she was hooked and fell in love with the giants from that very first game. We ended up subscribing to the afl streaming service and following them closely ever since, and damned if the team doesn't agree with me. Just makes sense for a bloke from Sydney who is new to the game to follow a team which is also new to the game and is such a good organization all around.

Favorite player would be Toby, I love the arrogance and never back down attitude he brings to the game and his ability to just make plays other players couldn't.

Favorite memory as a gws fan would probably be the win against Sydney in the 2016 qualifying finals. I never liked the swans, even before I followed the afl, and it was so satisfying to see the boys go against all expectations and beat them on the first year they ever made a finals series. Somehow even more satisfying than giving them a smacking yesterday!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Been posting a while now and thought it time to introduce myself.

Born and raised in the back blocks of NSW ... lived in Melbourne for 6 years and got a liking for Aussie rules. Semi supported the swans as a new south Welshman.

Have lived overseas for over 30 years but kept following Aussie rules as my business partner is a big Weagles fan. Soon as GWS came in I jumped on. Interestingly orange and gray were already our corporate colors .

Always lived the Way the Highlander (Callan Ward) went about it. Love TFG and The Big Sausage too

first win over the Hawks ... Jezza kick 7 if I recall and we just had the tsunami in full flight

How do you like your eggs?

boiled and then sliced on very fresh bread with black pepper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back