Opinion Victory demands dedication

Remove this Banner Ad

Northball

Debutant
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Evening everyone,

Been tossing up writing this one since I read the post of DuckYeah (which may have been an alcohol induced tirade) but regardless it was a refreshing point amongst the Nostradamus level endtimes posting i've been reading here lately. Now I get where it's coming from, the last few years have been pretty damn hard to watch and we wouldn't be here if we didn't ooze blue and white blood. But the majority of you have seen a Roos premiership. I'm 25 and was raised on North by my old man (a regular poster here) but i've never seen a convincing flag tilt let alone a dynasty worthy NMFC. So where's the club pride? My old boy always told me growing up 'you support North or you find somewhere else to live'

Now i'm aware the majority of you would know plenty more about the Kangas and football than I do, but i've been lurking this forum for many years now and I reckon the general consensus has been that instead of the same old middle of the table strategy. We've needed a shake up to spend some time on the bottom of the ladder, because we're a damn proud club and tanking is beneath us. I'm not claiming it as a masterstroke, but the culls has achieved this. Maybe it's just me, but i'd take 4-5 years on the bottom of the ladder over 20 years of mediocrity any day.

The main point I wanted to make with this post is that I see the term 'fair weather supporter' thrown around a lot here lately, I see 'sack this bloke, sack that bloke' and plenty of other toys being thrown out of the cot. You blokes know our history better than I do, but you seem to have forgotten who we are which I reckon is outlined perfectly here: Australian Football - North Melbourne never surrenders

"In two respects North Melbourne stands second to none. One is the loyalty of its supporters. The other is the determination to carry on, despite its disadvantages" Likewise in our club motto "victoria amat curam" - Victory demands dedication. As important for our players as it is for the supporters. Given our on field performances, combined with the predatory media and footy journos and our first wooden spoon since the conception of the AFL, the club needs us now. But isn't this the best part anyway? At our roots this is what the NMFC is. How can we expect the players to play with heart over their paycheck when we aren't showing heart as supporters? We're the underdogs of the AFL with the world against us but ducking hell if that first post premiership beer won't be all the sweeter for it.

So chins up my blue and white blooded brothers and sisters. Go to our games, wear our colors with pride and scream our anthem. Embody the determination we want to see our boys playing with. Because even if their confidence is shot, and there's no heart in their game, if we keep showing up in droves and showing them that 1 North supporter is worth 2 of any other clubs supporters, they'll remember why we're the best club in the AFL.

Tarrynical

The only comment I would make is that our DNA seems to be disappearing and there seems to be something that is quite clearly on the nose.

Not sure what it is, but there are multiple sources talking about rumblings and disgruntled staff and players… There seems to be so many that know so much, but yet provide so little factual evidence of what is actually going on at our club.

Most of us are none the wiser as to what goes on behind closed doors, but we can all sense that the club is lacking unity, players don’t want to recommit and fans don’t want to watch the same garbage that is being dished up… We all want to be on the journey, but most are starting to feel like we are being treated for fools with not a lot to hang your hat on at present. I for one keep getting the feeling like we haven’t reached rock bottom with further fallout still to come before we can start to progress…

I grew up through the privileged 90’s era but most fondly remember the Dean Laidley era as I was a bit older, where you knew we were not the most talented but could go to any game expecting a red hot contest.

My mate who works at Marvel reckons the forecast for the GWS game is only 5,000 this week which says it all really!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tarrynical if l had 5 daughter's l'd give you two ( or son's, nttawwt )
I'll be going until they shove me in the ground, win, lose or draw as the saying goes.

Well played son. Now get ready to ride the waves coming your way Shinboner style 👍

He's into the old fashioned women
FTiGWKQWAAAH-MB.jpg

Well said.

As the "distance" between us supporters and the clubs themselves continues to grow over the years, its easy for us supporters to lose connection or commitment to the roots and traditions/myths of the clubs we support. Maybe if there were "official" members groups to organise geographic groups together these coteries would see generations mix and promote the continuation of our "true" line.

I see people doing weird activities like running/cycling/swimming and logging into aps to compare their performance against others and their own history/goals. I can't believe these apps don't contribute to increased participation by the users. We're suckers for social feedback. What is our club doing to help turn interest into allegiance? Flakery into Cunningtonness

Yeah, hey Hugeman i like bibimbap, trot, soju, womens golf, kimchi, ancestor rituals and border security.. any chance theres a second cousin spare? Im as far as a chaebol as you could get tho, ahh nevermind.

The only comment I would make is that our DNA seems to be disappearing and there seems to be something that is quite clearly on the nose.

Not sure what it is, but there are multiple sources talking about rumblings and disgruntled staff and players… There seems to be so many that know so much, but yet provide so little factual evidence of what is actually going on at our club.

Most of us are none the wiser as to what goes on behind closed doors, but we can all sense that the club is lacking unity, players don’t want to recommit and fans don’t want to watch the same garbage that is being dished up… We all want to be on the journey, but most are starting to feel like we are being treated for fools with not a lot to hang your hat on at present. I for one keep getting the feeling like we haven’t reached rock bottom with further fallout still to come before we can start to progress…

I grew up through the privileged 90’s era but most fondly remember the Dean Laidley era as I was a bit older, where you knew we were not the most talented but could go to any game expecting a red hot contest.

My mate who works at Marvel reckons the forecast for the GWS game is only 5,000 this week which says it all really!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think the DNA problem is down to social media, how easy it is for us to come home and read the newest clickbait article from some journo purely speculating for attention. We're an especially easy target now because not only are we performing poorly, but it's amplified because we're North...

As for players not recommitting, i'm really not that concerned - we've got a lot more young guys than usual all finding their place in the team and quietly improving. They may yet not know their worth or are waiting for the club to recognize their value. I may be proven wrong here but it's a few years into the rebuild and who have we lost in terms of players? Brown and Tarrant? Both guys who are clearly not going to be around for a tilt.

Premierships are won by teams, and while we're certainly starting to bring some serious talent in, i'd say we're still a year or 2 off having the foundation of a dynasty squad on our hands. Maybe less if we're getting more than 75% out of some of our boys. I don't disagree we've got plenty of holes to plug, but this is also our first season without our best player in Cunners, who has been so integral for us that his absence has highlighted issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the DNA problem is down to social media, how easy it is for us to come home and read the newest clickbait article from some journo purely speculating for attention. We're an especially easy target now because not only are we performing poorly, but it's amplified because we're North...

As for players not recommitting, i'm really not that concerned - we've got a lot more young guys than usual all finding their place in the team and quietly improving. They may yet not know their worth or are waiting for the club to recognize their value. I may be proven wrong here but it's a few years into the rebuild and who have we lost in terms of players? Brown and Tarrant? Both guys who are clearly not going to be around for a tilt.

Premierships are won by teams, and while we're certainly starting to bring some serious talent in, i'd say we're still a year or 2 off having the foundation of a dynasty squad on our hands. Maybe less if we're getting more than 75% out of some of our boys. I don't disagree we've got plenty of holes to plug, but this is also our first season without our best player in Cunners, who has been so integral for us that his absence has highlighted issues.
Besides Bailey Scott, who else has ‘quietly improved’ this year?

Bang on Tarrynical.

Just turned 24 myself. Grew up in country Vic in a town surrounded by Essendon supporters. Was lucky to come to one game a year.

Moved to Melbourne in 2017 and have watched us be utter shite since. I’ve seen 2 wins live in those 5 years. Still get to as many games as I can.

After the loss to the saints I wandered down with some North supporting mates to the mail exchange to drown the sorrows and an old fella in north gear came over, sat down, said “hang in there fellas” and ended up having a beer with us. That’s what I love about this club. It feels like home. It stands for something. And it bloody hurts to see us battling like this but I’ll keep fronting up.

I’ll take this pain for a chance at contending over a lifetime filled with Jmacs, Mason Woods and Farren ******* Rays. See you Sunday ladies and gents, and let’s have a win.

Besides Bailey Scott, who else has ‘quietly improved’ this year?
It's easy too look at the statistics and say 'well they guy is pulling less disposals than last year' but with some of the outs we've had: Cunnington, Hall - I'd like to say Comben too, because I genuinely believe if we'd had Chom in as a marking target then Larkey would have less opponents teaming him...

Improved:
Taylor
Hornet
LDU
Simpkin (I know this one is argueable, but I cut him some slack due to the fact that he's now our veteran midfielder which comes with added pressure) I have confidence he'll find his form as our midfield comes together
Young
Mckay
Powell
Curtis
Xerri
Perez
Ford

I do agree we've had a fair few stagnate this year - but we're also lacking in the veteran department, so they don't have the safety net that players from other clubs would have when they're not pulling their weight

It's easy too look at the statistics and say 'well they guy is pulling less disposals than last year' but with some of the outs we've had: Cunnington, Hall - I'd like to say Comben too, because I genuinely believe if we'd had Chom in as a marking target then Larkey would have less opponents teaming him...

Improved:
Taylor
Hornet
LDU
Simpkin (I know this one is argueable, but I cut him some slack due to the fact that he's now our veteran midfielder which comes with added pressure) I have confidence he'll find his form as our midfield comes together
Young
Mckay
Powell
Curtis
Xerri
Perez
Ford

I do agree we've had a fair few stagnate this year - but we're also lacking in the veteran department, so they don't have the safety net that players from other clubs would have when they're not pulling their weight
Taylor and Young yes have improved. The listed others?????
JHF and Curtis. You can’t count first year players in your improving list. This year being there first year is there base line. In Saying that, I’m very happy how both these guys are playing. Both have shown real talent already. Let’s hope they improve in year 2.

Great post. I'm about the same age as you and I think everyone could benefit from some perspective here. It's only because our club took it up to every other in the league and became a juggernaut through the later part of the last century that we're still here and we, the supporters, have such high expectations. I'm sure many people around here remember when we were the only club that had never won a premiership. It probably looked a lot bleaker back then than it does right now.

Taylor and Young yes have improved. The listed others?????
JHF and Curtis. You can’t count first year players in your improving list. This year being there first year is there base line. In Saying that, I’m very happy how both these guys are playing. Both have shown real talent already. Let’s hope they improve in year 2.
I like to look at things on a week by week basis, which is why I say JHF and Curtis have improved - even if it's just the confidence to make riskier kicks/plays and the most minor improvements like ferocity in a contest. But I do understand your point - that said I have full confidence they'll continue their upwards trajectory (bar injury) :praying:

I think LDU has really stepped up this year without Cunners around, he's still not breaking games wide open but he's accumulating more possession and starting to have a real influence in games, which is impressive for a 22y/o playing a more explosive inside mid position IMO. Simpkin I think has had it rough as this is his first year as go to midfielder, and as our other mids gain experience and can put themselves into more damaging positions I reckon he'll have more options and time to avoid blasting it forward the second he gets hands on.

Xerri is an interesting one, who I really wasn't sold on until this year - there was the talk about the Saints move, but despite some poor games I think he's really backed himself in and started to genuinely compete against other league rucks. I'm keen to see him develop his craft more because I can see him being a great player for us.

Mckay need I say more? At 24 he's already our most reliable KPD and has only been looking better and better, can only imagine how tiring it must be playing for 2 teams at the same time stern look - but with more reliable defenders by his side there's going to be less pressure and therefor more keen improvement.

As for the young brigade it's still early days, and even if they're just honing skills in the magoos there's no doubt the exposure at AFL level is doing them wonders. We have to remember that with a deficiency in veteran players, these young guys have far more responsibility in games than they traditionally would elsewhere. I like to think that getting belted over and over is going to bring forward a culture of HATING losing, and the boys will play out of their skin to make sure it doesn't happen... but I think this is where we have to be if we want to see long term improvement and dominance

Bang on Tarrynical.

Just turned 24 myself. Grew up in country Vic in a town surrounded by Essendon supporters. Was lucky to come to one game a year.

Moved to Melbourne in 2017 and have watched us be utter shite since. I’ve seen 2 wins live in those 5 years. Still get to as many games as I can.

After the loss to the saints I wandered down with some North supporting mates to the mail exchange to drown the sorrows and an old fella in north gear came over, sat down, said “hang in there fellas” and ended up having a beer with us. That’s what I love about this club. It feels like home. It stands for something. And it bloody hurts to see us battling like this but I’ll keep fronting up.

I’ll take this pain for a chance at contending over a lifetime filled with Jmacs, Mason Woods and Farren ******* Rays. See you Sunday ladies and gents, and let’s have a win.
I moved to Melbourne in the early 80s and eneded up at school in Essendon. It was a s**t time compared to five years earlier but things turned.

Evening everyone,

Been tossing up writing this one since I read the post of DuckYeah (which may have been an alcohol induced tirade) but regardless it was a refreshing point amongst the Nostradamus level endtimes posting i've been reading here lately. Now I get where it's coming from, the last few years have been pretty damn hard to watch and we wouldn't be here if we didn't ooze blue and white blood. But the majority of you have seen a Roos premiership. I'm 25 and was raised on North by my old man (a regular poster here) but i've never seen a convincing flag tilt let alone a dynasty worthy NMFC. So where's the club pride? My old boy always told me growing up 'you support North or you find somewhere else to live'

Now i'm aware the majority of you would know plenty more about the Kangas and football than I do, but i've been lurking this forum for many years now and I reckon the general consensus has been that instead of the same old middle of the table strategy. We've needed a shake up to spend some time on the bottom of the ladder, because we're a damn proud club and tanking is beneath us. I'm not claiming it as a masterstroke, but the culls has achieved this. Maybe it's just me, but i'd take 4-5 years on the bottom of the ladder over 20 years of mediocrity any day.

The main point I wanted to make with this post is that I see the term 'fair weather supporter' thrown around a lot here lately, I see 'sack this bloke, sack that bloke' and plenty of other toys being thrown out of the cot. You blokes know our history better than I do, but you seem to have forgotten who we are which I reckon is outlined perfectly here: Australian Football - North Melbourne never surrenders

"In two respects North Melbourne stands second to none. One is the loyalty of its supporters. The other is the determination to carry on, despite its disadvantages" Likewise in our club motto "victoria amat curam" - Victory demands dedication. As important for our players as it is for the supporters. Given our on field performances, combined with the predatory media and footy journos and our first wooden spoon since the conception of the AFL, the club needs us now. But isn't this the best part anyway? At our roots this is what the NMFC is. How can we expect the players to play with heart over their paycheck when we aren't showing heart as supporters? We're the underdogs of the AFL with the world against us but ducking hell if that first post premiership beer won't be all the sweeter for it.

So chins up my blue and white blooded brothers and sisters. Go to our games, wear our colors with pride and scream our anthem. Embody the determination we want to see our boys playing with. Because even if their confidence is shot, and there's no heart in their game, if we keep showing up in droves and showing them that 1 North supporter is worth 2 of any other clubs supporters, they'll remember why we're the best club in the AFL.

Tarrynical
Amen brother
Hope to see as many Brother and sisters of the NMFC at the game on Sunday let’s try and get a crowd above 10k anything less will be another notch on the media and AFL belt of hatred towards us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back