Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares.

You make it seem like Melbourne is this amazing place to live in.

It's a crowded shithole.

It's not this massive draw card you like to push it as.

You'll get more bang for your buck as a player living in Adelaide.
Yep. Are footballers some special breed. Cashed up men in their 20s wanting to live next to mum and dad and not being willing to move state? It's rubbish. Start selling the location. Queensland beaches and being able to go out without being harrassed by strangers to be in selfies or ending up on social media if you fart... Adelaide's laidback lifestyle. etc...

Who cares.

You make it seem like Melbourne is this amazing place to live in.

It's a crowded shithole.

It's not this massive draw card you like to push it as.

You'll get more bang for your buck as a player living in Adelaide.

lol. Don’t make ridiculous ill-considered comparisons then. The other major sports argument is the easiest to defeat.

Yep. Are footballers some special breed. Cashed up men in their 20s wanting to live next to mum and dad and not being willing to move state? It's rubbish. Start selling the location. Queensland beaches and being able to go out without being harrassed by strangers to be in selfies or ending up on social media if you fart... Adelaide's laidback lifestyle. etc...

People wanting to live near their existing support networks isn’t a new phenomena

Nor is people moving for their career, or lifestyle. Geelong's location was a disadvantage until they started to work and sell it.

The same Geelong that is just down the highway from the other 9 teams?

Im not arguing that people don’t move. I’m saying that overwhelmingly people prefer to stay in their current location if that is a possibility. If you find that statement controversial then I don’t know what to say.

What are you more likely to choose - staying in your current circumstances and moving club in the same city or moving everything interstate?

I proactively looked for a new job in Sydney so I could move from Melbourne and experience living somewhere else. I left with $0 savings and a maxed credit card. Since then, I relocated internationally three times. Never with the kind of job security and salary of an AFL player's contract. Not living in the same place forever is a goal for some people.

Relocation is sure to have been a desirable factor for many AFL players who decided to move, but for AFL players where it isn't, I doubt many weight it highly enough to be much of a factor vs. financial, job security, and opportunity for career advancement/extension related variables.

The same Geelong that is just down the highway from the other 9 teams?

Im not arguing that people don’t move. I’m saying that overwhelmingly people prefer to stay in their current location if that is a possibility. If you find that statement controversial then I don’t know what to say.

It'd be interesting to see some stats on it. Moving is exciting. Most of the people I know who have earnt decent or good money and have portable jobs have lived in more than one city. I think you'd find that it is people with less choice that live their life in one city.

We portray players as really low risk people who are too scared to leave their comfort zone. i doubt it's true.

It'd be interesting to see some stats on it. Moving is exciting. Most of the people I know who have earnt decent or good money and have portable jobs have lived in more than one city. I think you'd find that it is people with less choice that live their life in one city.

We portray players as really low risk people who are too scared to leave their comfort zone. i doubt it's true.

So most people are fine with changing their kids schools, possibly selling your house and buying a new one 700km away all in the space of a week?

You can look it up. There are statistics which show that a large percentage of the population, if given the opportunity, will live within 4km of where they grew up. There is plenty of stuff on the vast majority of the population wanting to live in close proximity to their existing support networks.

Again, I’m not saying players aren’t willing to move. I’m saying that given the choice of staying in the same city or moving interstate all the stats say the large majority will stay put.

So most people are fine with changing their kids schools, possibly selling your house and buying a new one 700km away all in the space of a week?
What proportion of AFL players actually have school aged children?

Why would they sell and buy a house in the space of a week? Clubs put up new recruits in accomodation all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can look it up. There are statistics which show that a large percentage of the population, if given the opportunity, will live within 4km of where they grew up. There is plenty of stuff on the vast majority of the population wanting to live in close proximity to their existing support networks.

Again, I’m not saying players aren’t willing to move. I’m saying that given the choice of staying in the same city or moving interstate all the stats say the large majority will stay put.
What percentage of AFL footballers do you think live within 4km of where they grew up?

If you could send me a link showing percentages of people who live their whole life in the one city at different income bands, that'd be great. I wouldn't know where to find it.

What percentage of AFL footballers do you think live within 4km of where they grew up?

If you could send me a link showing percentages of people who live their whole life in the one city at different income bands, that'd be great. I wouldn't know where to find it.

Google is your friend.

If you believe a mid season trade period won’t disproportionately advantage VFL teams given half the comps teams sit in the one city then credit to you.

Google is your friend.
Pass.

The other point on the matter is that even if you are right, the Vic bias thing in terms of all this theoretical go home stuff isn't accurate. It's actually footy state versus rugby state. The ratio between WA and SA players and list spots in those states is higher than in Vic, thus the theoretical advantage is theirs.

Pass.

The other point on the matter is that even if you are right, the Vic bias thing in terms of all this theoretical go home stuff isn't accurate. It's actually footy state versus rugby state. The ratio between WA and SA players and list spots in those states is higher than in Vic, thus the theoretical advantage is theirs.

You pressed the go home point as a key factor. I don’t think I even raised a go home factor. In essence you’re now just arguing with your own posts.

If you looked at this objectively, I don’t think you could seriously claim anything other than the vfl clubs will be disproportionately advantaged by a mid season trade period by virtue of half the clubs in the competition existing in the same city.

And as you point out it will be particularly disastrous for the four northern clubs.

You pressed the go home point as a key factor. I don’t think I even raised a go home factor. In essence you’re now just arguing with your own posts.

If you looked at this objectively, I don’t think you could seriously claim anything other than the vfl clubs will be disproportionately advantaged by a mid season trade period by virtue of half the clubs in the competition existing in the same city.

And as you point out it will be particularly disastrous for the four northern clubs.

I don't see it as being different to the other player movement, so I don't see why it is an extra disadvantage or will result in greater movement.

And frankly the supposed disadvantage regarding player movement really isn't playing out for the established northern teams. Like most of the vicbias stuff - it's a whole lot of theory with heaps of holes which often goes against the actual real data of what has occurred.

Lol.

The semantics in here now! Arguing about players in mid season drafts is somehow biased towards vic :confusedv1:

How is this a designed conspiracy to punch down on non vics? Please someone give me an epiphany!

I must've missed the secret meeting of all pricktorians to design a punchdown initiative on non vic states.

FMD. If you're gonna bring up sh*t like this, then you're obviously convinced in your theory that there is a deliberate conspiracy

Well then, if that's your view, how about do something about it?

Vote with your feet and remotes and phuq off with your whining! Seriously this bullsh*t is next level desperation. But we all we know you won't.

Talk about Phuqin cookers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back