All Australian
Jun 26, 2004
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
13.16-94 Hobart def. by North Hobart 15.11-101 TCA
19.13-127 Burnie def. Devonport 9.6-60 West Park
23.15-153 Launceston def. North Launceston 8.8-56

Pretty good result for Hobart given what they have been through the last couple of weeks, devonports result looks slightly more encouraging, North Lonnie crashing back to earth, Launceston are genuine contenders for sure.

13.16-94 Hobart def. by North Hobart 15.11-101 TCA
19.13-127 Burnie def. Devonport 9.6-60 West Park
23.15-153 Launceston def. North Launceston 8.8-56

Pretty good result for Hobart given what they have been through the last couple of weeks, devonports result looks slightly more encouraging, North Lonnie crashing back to earth, Launceston are genuine contenders for sure.

What Hobart have been through. Reckon North have been through a bit themselves in the last two weeks. Good result with 3 suspended, 2 suspended in house according to the Mercury. Watching today the Mercury was right, Murphy and Allison didn't play. Also Veitch and Diva and Mcculloch out injured. Not a bad result for them i would say.

Hobart were disappointing. I expected them to win today but they reverted to the same old drop off of intensity late in the quarter; every quarter! They led by four goals at qtr time going 'up the hill' Then should've knocked the Demons out in the second quarter, but couldn't put them away. A 7 goals to two third qtr left the Demons just 2pts astern at the final change and full of hope. The Demons got to the front early in the last qtr but to their credit the Tigers surged. So much so that the Tigers led by 11 points just before time only to concede 3, yes 3! late goals to go down by 7 points. Like Brisbane last night, shocking fumbling errors and some pathetic play by their so called 'better players' let them down. OK, they have some talent and some inexperienced players but so did the Demons. To suggest they would be pleased is typical of the menatlity at the TCA; near enough is good enough. Well it aint and a game the Tigers should've won went begging. Could've, should've, might've! We have some good young ones etc.etc. I hear it everytime I watch the Tigers. And to the two who got stood down, weak as...... In short they were not very pleasing at all.

Hobart were disappointing. I expected them to win today but they reverted to the same old drop off of intensity late in the quarter; every quarter! They led by four goals at qtr time going 'up the hill' Then should've knocked the Demons out in the second quarter, but couldn't put them away. A 7 goals to two third qtr left the Demons just 2pts astern at the final change and full of hope. The Demons got to the front early in the last qtr but to their credit the Tigers surged. So much so that the Tigers led by 11 points just before time only to concede 3, yes 3! late goals to go down by 7 points. Like Brisbane last night, shocking fumbling errors and some pathetic play by their so called 'better players' let them down. OK, they have some talent and some inexperienced players but so did the Demons. To suggest they would be pleased is typical of the menatlity at the TCA; near enough is good enough. Well it aint and a game the Tigers should've won went begging. Could've, should've, might've! We have some good young ones etc.etc. I hear it everytime I watch the Tigers. And to the two who got stood down, weak as...... In short they were not very pleasing at all.

Glad you weren't standing near me then - you would've been ducking for cover!

I don't disagree with many of your points actually, they're fair comments.
I can tell you there were not too many who were pleased with that result today.

Hobart should've absolutely nailed this lot to a crucifix this afternoon!
Really given them an absolute stuffing and a half and sent them on their way.
North had about 6 good players out and we had an inconsistent Willing and an underdone Cassidy out.
Once again, plenty of endeavour, can't fault that, but the same problems with skill when the heat comes on, it's been like it for years and years and there's no denying it.

The last really consistently well performed Hobart sides I've watched were under Steven Gillbee, and admittedly the pressure wasn't as intense or quick (there were a lot more thuggish acts however) but those sides generally always took advantage of a situation and rammed on 3-4-5-6 quick goals to turn the match in their favour when it was their turn to dominate play and defended stoutly.
The Hobart sides in recent years have never been able to take advantage of a good run of play to set themselves up and seem to kick maybe 1.4 and about 3 out on the full and another two or three straight to the opposition and tend to panic when the opposition gets a run on.
It absolutely kills Hobart every single time. There have been so many opportunities for Hobart to win games in their tenure of TSL football but have won only 11 out of 39 in that time.

The difference between the 'good' Hobart and the 'bad' Hobart is way, way, way too great.

I must admit, I cringed when I saw Hobart supporters in the Main Grandstand clapping the team off after a loss like that, North shouldn't have got within 8 goals of Hobart let alone winning the game, I know it's fine to be loyal and everything but there comes a time when a bit of tough love and harsh self-assessment needs to take place.
In the first quarter Hobart booted 6.4 against the wind and really should have been 8.2 or 9.1 and in the second quarter wasted a huge amount of opportunities including shots that didn't eventuate as scoring shots.
They went in 8.9 or something at halftime and should've had at least 13 on the board.

The third quarter was the 'bad' Hobart again and North went beserk and kicked a stack of goals to get within two points.
The last was exactly the same at the start, then Hobart dominated play for a period again but didn't really put North away, then Ken Hall dobbed a pearler from over by the scoreboard and Hobart dropped their heads and North got their tails up and ran all over them.

I sometimes wonder whether they don't believe in themselves enough, or whether there's too many individuals. It's very bizarre how inconsistent they can be at times.
The boys will be absolutely infuriated with that loss. As well they should be.
It was actually a rather engrossing game of football in front of a very vocal crowd of about 1,200.

As to the tribunal decision from during the week, It sounds absolutely dodgy in the way the whole process was handled, I haven't seen who whacked who and why etc - but isn't there a maximum timeframe to prosecute? One would think that'd been exceeded.
Having said that, Hobart should've really rubbed it in to 'em at every opportunity - then smashed them to bits.

If you want call it an honourable loss, I suppose you could, but at the end of the day, they can't accept losses like that. They just can't.
Hopefully it makes them angry enough to come out and beat Lauderdale away next weekend give poor old Devonport a going-over up the TCA the week after to get themselves back on course.

As usual Kingpin, you've called it as you see it. Pretty accurate description. You cringed at the supporters clapping, I vomited. That is the mentality I talk about. Near enough is good enough; no it isn't. How anyone could think that that was a good effort yesterday is completely oblivious to the respective talent in both sides. North at full strength will beat Hobart at the moment but yesterday was a different story. Hobart were hopeless after qtr time and paid the penalty. Have a look at my team - Gold Coast Suns - how much have they improved in just three games? The relative difference is the Suns believe and stick to the plan. Good luck Kingpin, at least you will beat Devonport, Sth Lton, Nth Lton and maybe Lauderdale (occasionally); so there will be some solace at the old TCA.

Didnt i say in an earlier post back in Feb that Claremont would beat Clarence by 70 points.

Duff the predictor strikes again.

Ps Kingpin there were 2 teams out there at the Tca and only one genuine star between them being No. 25 K.hall.

I think a bit of credit to Nth Hbt is warranted old boy.

As for Hobart they r a real bunch of goers and will win 7-8 games this year.Not a bad side.good to see them throwing the young number 12 down back. Brew seems a good coach from where i sit.

Now if they were playing home games at Nth Hbt would they attract a K.Hall or a few big names that at the end of the day makes difference?

I will leave that one up to the Hobart board to have a think about.

Ps Kingpin there were 2 teams out there at the Tca and only one genuine star between them being No. 25 K.hall.
Hobart's genuine star was drafted at the end of 2010. Clearly they haven't filled the void, but you throw Jeremy Howe into the game yesterday and it's a different result.

Hobart's genuine star was drafted at the end of 2010. Clearly they haven't filled the void, but you throw Jeremy Howe into the game yesterday and it's a different result.

Spot on! Then again, North throw in Sam Darley and it might swing back the other way!

It was a game of two halves. Both sides had a crack. Hobart were missing two of their best players in Willing and Cassidy. North were missing a few too, Brown, Divenuto, Veitch, Murphy, Allison, Wells, Degoyer, Mccullock. I'm sure hobart may have a few others out also, but lets just judge the game i'm on who played.

That should have read Brer not Brew!

And on Willing no doubt Hobart missed him. Hes not a star but someone should give him a huge pat ob the back.

Classic case of a bloke who gets the best out of himself. Its great to see a guy who could have stayed in the Sfl get himself fit, push himself to the max and have a crack. someone pat the big fella on the back for me.

That should have read Brer not Brew!

And on Willing no doubt Hobart missed him. Hes not a star but someone should give him a huge pat ob the back.

Classic case of a bloke who gets the best out of himself. Its great to see a guy who could have stayed in the Sfl get himself fit, push himself to the max and have a crack. someone pat the big felka on the back for me.

Big Fella or big felcher, which one Duff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hobart v North Hobart - TCA Ground: Friday, 22 April 2011
Weather: Morning rain clearing to sunshine: 15°C
Attendance: 1,200 (approximately)

1st Quarter (Hobart: Cottage End - Nth Hobart: Smith Stand End)
04:04: Hobart 0.1 (1) v Nth Hobart 0.0 (0) - Sullivan (HB) - Behind.
05:41: Nth Hobart 1.0 (6) v Hobart 0.1 (1) - Muir (NH) - Goal.
06:29: Hobart 1.1 (7) v Nth Hobart 1.0 (6) - Briggs (HB) - Goal.
10:13: Hobart 1.1 (7) v Nth Hobart 1.1 (7) - Rushed behind.
11:00: Hobart 2.1 (13) v Nth Hobart 1.1 (7) - Goninon (HB) - Goal.
12:23: Hobart 2.1 (13) v Nth Hobart 1.2 (8) - Debosz (NH) - Behind.
12:53: Nth Hobart 2.2 (14) v Hobart 2.1 (13) - Hall (NH) - Goal.
14:34: Hobart 3.1 (19) v Nth Hobart 2.2 (14) - J.Clark (HB) - Goal.
17:24: Hobart 4.1 (25) v Nth Hobart 2.2 (14) - A.Hall (HB) - Goal.
18:53: Hobart 5.1 (31) v Nth Hobart 2.2 (14) - Goninon (HB) - Goal.
19:41: Hobart 5.1 (31) v Nth Hobart 2.3 (15) - Arnold (NH) - Behind.
21:54: Hobart 5.2 (32) v Nth Hobart 2.3 (15) - Lemm (HB) - Behind.
22:29: Hobart 5.2 (32) v Nth Hobart 2.4 (16) - Gardam (NH) - Behind.
25:19: Hobart 6.2 (38) v Nth Hobart 2.4 (16) - Azzopardi (HB) - Goal.
26:31: Hobart 6.3 (39) v Nth Hobart 2.4 (16) - Z.Johnson (HB) - Behind.
27:41: Hobart 6.4 (40) v Nth Hobart 2.4 (16) - Azzopardi (HB) - Behind.

Quarter Time: Hobart 6.4 (40) v North Hobart 2.4 (16)

2nd Quarter (Hobart: Smith Stand End - Nth Hobart: Cottage End)
03:37: Hobart 6.5 (41) v Nth Hobart 2.4 (16) - Alcorso (HB) - Behind.
05:04: Hobart 6.5 (41) v Nth Hobart 2.5 (17) - Gardam (NH) - Behind.
06:09: Hobart 6.6 (42) v Nth Hobart 2.5 (17) - Rushed behind.
06:38: Hobart 7.6 (48) v Nth Hobart 2.5 (17) - Azzopardi (HB) - Goal.
10:45: Hobart 7.7 (49) v Nth Hobart 2.5 (17) - Briggs (HB) - Behind.
17:24: Hobart 8.7 (55) v Nth Hobart 2.5 (17) - A.Hall (HB) - FK Goal.
18:35: Hobart 8.7 (55) v Nth Hobart 3.5 (23) - Street (NH) - Goal.
22:52: Hobart 8.8 (56) v Nth Hobart 3.5 (23) - S.Reeves (HB) - Behind.
23:25: Hobart 8.9 (57) v Nth Hobart 3.5 (23) - Crosswell (HB) - Behind.

Half Time: Hobart 8.9 (57) v North Hobart 3.5 (23)

3rd Quarter (Hobart: Cottage End - Nth Hobart: Smith Stand End)
00:41: Hobart 8.9 (57) v Nth Hobart 4.5 (29) - Fisher (NH) - Goal.
01:32: Hobart 8.9 (57) v Nth Hobart 5.5 (35) - Street (NH) - Goal.
04:17: Hobart 8.9 (57) v Nth Hobart 5.6 (36) - Peterson (NH) - Behind.
05:14: Hobart 8.9 (57) v Nth Hobart 5.7 (37) - Palmer (NH) - Behind.
07:08: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 5.7 (37) - A.Hall (HB) - Goal.
09:41: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 5.8 (38) - Fisher (NH) - Behind.
13:38: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 6.8 (44) - Arnold (NH) - Goal.
15:15: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 6.9 (45) - Gardam (NH) - Behind.
16:48: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 6.10 (46) - Muir (NH) - Behind.
20:10: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 7.10 (52) - Fisher (NH) - Goal.
21:26: Hobart 9.9 (63) v Nth Hobart 8.10 (58) - K.Hall (NH) - Goal.
22:45: Hobart 9.10 (64) v Nth Hobart 8.10 (58) - Sullivan (HB) - Behind.
23:30: Hobart 10.10 (70) v Nth Hobart 8.10 (58) - A.Hall (HB) - FK Goal.
24:35: Hobart 10.11 (71) v Nth Hobart 8.10 (58) - A.Hall (HB) - Behind.
25:39: Hobart 10.12 (72) v Nth Hobart 8.10 (58) - Quirk (HB) - Behind.
26:38: Hobart 10.12 (72) v Nth Hobart 9.10 (64) - Fisher (NH) - Goal.
27:53: Hobart 10.12 (72) v Nth Hobart 10.10 (70) - Peterson (NH) - Goal.

Three-Quarter Time: Hobart 10.12 (72) v North Hobart 10.10 (70)

4th Quarter (Hobart: Smith Stand End - Nth Hobart: Cottage End)
00:26: Hobart 10.13 (73) v Nth Hobart 10.10 (70) - Goninon (HB) - Behind.
01:41: Hobart 11.13 (79) v Nth Hobart 10.10 (70) - Jeffrey (HB) - Goal.
02:33: Hobart 11.13 (79) v Nth Hobart 10.11 (71) - Debosz (NH) - Behind.
04:41: Hobart 11.14 (80) v Nth Hobart 10.11 (71) - Rushed behind.
10:05: Hobart 11.14 (80) v Nth Hobart 11.11 (77) - Gardam (NH) - FK Goal.
11:20: Nth Hobart 12.11 (83) v Hobart 11.14 (80) - Peterson (NH) - FK Goal.
13:08: Hobart 12.14 (86) v Nth Hobart 12.11 (83) - A.Hall (HB) - Goal.
15:04: Hobart 13.14 (92) v Nth Hobart 12.11 (83) - Sullivan (HB) - FK Goal.
17:06: Hobart 13.15 (93) v Nth Hobart 12.11 (83) - A.Hall (HB) - Behind.
18:16: Hobart 13.16 (94) v Nth Hobart 12.11 (83) - Goninon (HB) - Behind.
19:03: Hobart 13.16 (94) v Nth Hobart 13.11 (89) - K.Hall (NH) - Goal.
21:44: Nth Hobart 14.11 (95) v Hobart 13.16 (94) - Debosz (NH) - Goal.
22:41: Nth Hobart 15.11 (101) v Hobart 13.16 (94) - Debosz (NH) - Goal.

Full-Time: North Hobart 15.11 (101) v Hobart 13.16 (94)

Good to see the Mercury getting behind the local game with Stubbs and Smith review...might help my RACT tipping:footy:

good effort by these two. glenorchy & launceston can't be two games clear tho'. they have won four games & nth hobart three. your ladder in the sunday tas is wrong also.

good effort by these two. glenorchy & launceston can't be two games clear tho'. they have won four games & nth hobart three. your ladder in the sunday tas is wrong also.

the mercury never get anything wrong ZZ... can't be possible.

they are the most accurate, reliable news service in this state and I won't have you bagging them out like that.

don't you know these two are the hutchy and damian barrett of tasmanian football?

although, martin whats his name from that wonderful rag the advocate might have something to say about that... what a scribe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back