Coach TRADING a Senior Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
As the title suggests, could we ever see 2 clubs agree to a trade involving a Senior Coach in the AFL?

Now I realise to some this would sound bonkers - but it has happened in world sport - the first one that comes to mind is Doc Rivers, head coach of the Boston Celtics, getting traded to Los Angeles Clippers for a first round pick in 2013 -

Clippers, Celtics agree in principle on Doc Rivers trade

Of course, on my mind right now is Adam Simpson at West Coast and his former club that is likely to have Simpson on their list of prospective coaches.

Simpson has 2 years to run on his Eagles deal - while I highly doubt the club would stand in his way if he felt it was time to move on and accept a longer deal from North, the Eagles would be within their rights to hold him to his contract. Realistically, if North decided Simpson was their man and Simpson himself was ready to move, the entire deal would rely on West Coast releasing him from his deal…the ‘decent’ thing to do in our game but in an increasingly cut throat league, could we eventually see a trade of some kind (picks, cash, players?) become something the league would need to consider allowing, to satisfy all parties?

Note - I am not saying this will or should happen in Simpson’s current scenario, it’s just an interesting situation that we haven’t seen tackled in the AFL…yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back