Retired Tory Dickson (#959)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tory Dickson - Pick #57

Just to further confuse the issue the Hun has an article saying Dickson is 184cm (no mention of his weight, so I guess 90kgs is a furphy)

Now the Hun/News Ltd are not renowned for their accurate reporting and consistency (they earlier reported him as 180cm and 90kg) so no surprises there, I guess. But does anyone know his true height and weight?

He's thick-set and carrying a bit of pudge, I can believe 90kgs.

Playing weight for a well-muscled 182cm AFL player would be around 82-86 kgs.

Sounds like a risk worth taking.

We have had some pretty decent success with mature aged recruits over the years. Morris and Picken are the highlights. Markovic has been serviceable and we would have been in even more trouble this year if we didn't have him on our list.

Some comments were made about the stunned look on Hird's face when we called Dickson's name two picks ahead of Essendon. Personally I like Hird but it would have been worth seeing anyway.

However I was wondering ...
Would Dickson have been stunned as well? He would have known we were interested of course, because we interviewed him but as I understand it he had only switched to Bendigo Bombers because there was an opportunity to get drafted (by Essendon).

That's the risk of the draft. If you nominate, anyone can pick you.

Even if he was a bit peeved I hope he can now leave all that behind him and give his best to the WB. After all, he has got a shot at the big time which was the main aim.

From a club point of view it is a nice counterpunch back at Essendon for the disgraceful goings-on around Kavanagh (whether we would have picked him in preference to Smith or not). I hope the AFL investigates that (but I can guess the outcome if they do).

Some comments were made about the stunned look on Hird's face when we called Dickson's name two picks ahead of Essendon. Personally I like Hird but it would have been worth seeing anyway.

However I was wondering ...
Would Dickson have been stunned as well? He would have known we were interested of course, because we interviewed him but as I understand it he had only switched to Bendigo Bombers because there was an opportunity to get drafted (by Essendon).

That's the risk of the draft. If you nominate, anyone can pick you.

Even if he was a bit peeved I hope he can now leave all that behind him and give his best to the WB. After all, he has got a shot at the big time which was the main aim.

From a club point of view it is a nice counterpunch back at Essendon for the disgraceful goings-on around Kavanagh (whether we would have picked him in preference to Smith or not). I hope the AFL investigates that (but I can guess the outcome if they do).

I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get any opportunity.

I think Tory's game today needs a mention. Didn't have much of the footy, but was in the right spots over the 4 quarters. Loved the contested marking. Plus 4 goals.

Not a great start to the year for Tory. Potential to be dropped on the back of a performance where he didn't get much of the ball, didn't impact the scoreboard and didn't offer much defensive pressure.

Tory hit the scoreboard yesterday, but had one bad miss and another which didn't make the distance (think that was when Crameri roved and goaled).

Was an ok first game back, he does offer something. Strong overhead and at least is getting into dangerous positions.

RE-SIGNED - 2 YEAR EXTENSION
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-05-08/dicksons-new-deal

Forward Tory Dickson is the latest Bulldog to extend his contract with the Club, penning a new two-year deal on Thursday.

The dangerous goal sneak joins talented youngsters Jack Macrae, Jake Stringer and Lachy Hunter in showing faith in the Bulldogs' direction under coach Brendan McCartney in the past few months.

Great column from Tory in the Star Weekly, giving a bit of an insight into his life.
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-07-03/dickson-column-fatherhood-and-football
All my life, all I ever wanted to be was a professional footballer. From kicks with my dad at the park, to now playing at Etihad Stadium and the MCG, that passion I felt when picking up my first football hasn’t changed.

Life has certainly thrown me a few curve balls, but nothing has proven more challenging or rewarding than being a dad.

I’d be lying if I said it was easy, juggling the life of a professional athlete and being a single dad to my son. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Doggies-e1475314376333.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back