Tom Wills Oval, Home of GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always found the giants facilities history a little murky, confusing and not that well reported on. I know alot will disagree. Could well be my ignorance. I thought they were still in Rooty Hill or Blacktown wherever they started. Then travelling game day to the showgrounds stadium (Giants stadium)
so the local Blacktown council invested 27 odd MIL for new facilities for them at what I believe is Blacktown International Sports Park at rooty Hill? They spend 2 years there and left to a new 45 MIL tom wills oval inside Sydney Olympic Park. Why did they leave so quickly. Was it always the plan? I guess they can say they are inner west but I thought they were put in Blacktown for a reason. Doesn't read well and wonder if any locals went off them because of it.

I thought they were still in Rooty Hill or Blacktown wherever they started. Then travelling game day to the showgrounds stadium (Giants stadium)
Originally was the plan when the club was invited by the NSW Cricket and the cricket mad Blacktown Mayor to be a part of the submission.
But NSW Cricket and the Mayor at the time didn’t want them to be there full time, or so the club found out after the club started there.
The Giants were basically used to get the funding for a facility for NSW Cricket.
so the local Blacktown council invested 27 odd MIL for new facilities for them at what I believe is Blacktown International Sports Park at rooty Hill? They spend 2 years there and left to a new 45 MIL tom wills oval inside Sydney Olympic Park.
This is all kinds of wrong. Sorry.
Why did they leave so quickly. Was it always the plan? I guess they can say they are inner west but I thought they were put in Blacktown for a reason.
Western Sydney is a very very large area.
Where the stadium is located is the easiest location to get to from all parts of Western Sydney. Also has the most complete public and private transport options in Sydney.
Doesn't read well and wonder if any locals went off them because of it.
Nope.
Though not being full time in Sydney, in my opinion, hurts the club.
Many many other Giants fans disagree with this opinion.

Originally was the plan when the club was invited by the NSW Cricket and the cricket mad Blacktown Mayor to be a part of the submission.
But NSW Cricket and the Mayor at the time didn’t want them to be there full time, or so the club found out after the club started there.
The Giants were basically used to get the funding for a facility for NSW Cricket.

This is all kinds of wrong. Sorry.

Western Sydney is a very very large area.
Where the stadium is located is the easiest location to get to from all parts of Western Sydney. Also has the most complete public and private transport options in Sydney.

Nope.
Though not being full time in Sydney, in my opinion, hurts the club.
Thanks for the clarification. Grubby politics by the mayor. Hard to believe they only found out after they started though. Would have thought there would be some type of contract surely. But seems like it all worked out for them and supporters who find the travel easy enough.

worth noting - sokkah absolutists have used the blacktown oval funding issue to slam both the afl and nsw govt for favourable treatment towards australian rules football

worth noting - sokkah absolutists have used the blacktown oval funding issue to slam both the afl and nsw govt for favourable treatment towards australian rules football
All the other codes will find issues with the AFL and Aussie Rules because they feel threatened and inferior.

Amusing. Considering it was for NSW Cricket

All of Sydney, Wanderers, CC and Bulls have all had influxes of funds for their own facilities.

That’s before we get to the money spent on rectangular grounds over ovals.

Tom Wills now has a number of memorials ...the statue outside the members entrance at the MCG, Plaque at Moyston, western Victoria, Tom Wills flyover/bypass intersection near Waverley Park. He was born in NSW so why not have something in western Sydney.
If I haven't already said, I think Toms life and later on death, were from the dark thoughts of a massacre in QLD, which worked from both sides, where indigenous had slaughtered some west QLD settlers Toms relatives, and the whites had taken a similar revenge by mass murder. Tom involved I guess.

I think that was imbedded in his brain for the rest of his life, he had lots to do with Aboriginal sports cricket mainly, but I do not think if I remember that he took the Aussie Aboriginal cricketers to England, and for that time in history a depression would have been kept inside himself, no help just misery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back