Opinion Effectiveness of the Board and Executive Leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Bragging by Weagles fans at work and in the community has been embarrassing - absolutely they should be celebrating and we are the cross-town rivals, but there's a level of pomp and arrogance that only Wet Toasters are capable of.

The amount of West Coast shirts around yesterday is embarassing for the sheer fact that I've seen bugger all of that the past two years. I've always seen a healthy dose of Purple in the community even across the dreadful 2016-2018 era.
The fall will be all the better when they revert back to the mean
There were glimpses of it early in the last quarter when we started playing properly, they were fumbling and pressured .

Reid will get attention and Yeo/ McGovern will get groin injured , then where do they go ?

Probably! maybe !'ll think about it! Maybe not.
Well bugger me look, it is Wednesday, better do my Dream team and Super Coach. Bugger the letter.
At least it was a thought bubble.
Likely will , very busy life and I want to process properly what I’m going to say .

Anyway I Will write a letter if that what you want to hear

On another note , whilst I completely agree with DockShark on all that they’ve written on the matter , and would encourage as many people as possible to vent to the club even just for their own piece of mind I want to raise something important I think we are overlooking whilst being blinded by vitriol .

A big reason the Slime got up on us last week was their crowd , sell out stadium and they were loud as f*k

The last thing a team wants when they have just been kicked in the guts like that is turning up to an empty stadium because the fans have deserted them .
I get the whole when is enough enough argument but I think they’ve shown us this year that they are willing to compete and deserve the benefit of the doubt

IF anything, the letters should contain an ultimatum from us that if they don’t come up with 2 classy , proven goal kicker forwards , (not draft picks) then we are done , Adios , Asta La Vista Baby .

If they don’t then we crank up the microwaves and start melting the memberships 😁

i was broken the first time when we lost that final to port power.
this is the second one and i truly believe that as someone aged in my mid-fifties, i will NEVER see Freo win the flag.
and i have loved footy for so long.
at least i have seen 2 South Freo flags.
purple 'til i die, but i reckon it is just bruising :'(

i was broken the first time when we lost that final to port power.
this is the second one and i truly believe that as someone aged in my mid-fifties, i will NEVER see Freo win the flag.
and i have loved footy for so long.
at least i have seen 2 South Freo flags.
purple 'til i die, but i reckon it is just bruising :'(
Don’t give up DQ
Those of us in our fifty’s still have 30-40 years left if we have a good run

Surely they can jag one in that time? 🤞

I will note you haven't given any precise predictions to discuss. In business terms this isn't helpful as the predictor can obfuscate meaning when in review Get precise or this discussion and your rebuttal becomes meaningless. I won't hold you to it as a gotcha moment. It is however, required for helpful discussion.

To your first bolded point: This is knee jerk. Prior to the weekend no one was confident they drafted well. In fact they are so early in the process we have no idea if they drafted well or not. Reid is not a good example of drafting well as every team in the league would have drafted him. He was the LeBron or Wemby of his draft year. What are the ceilings of Hewett? Ginby? Witherton? And many others that didn't look all that hot before one game on the weekend.

The fact some are reacting to their win over us with so much hype would suggest to you that our drafting has been top shelf as we must be rated very highly.

Also, that culture that demands performance has seen the CEO be given the boot and them having some of the worst seasons in football history. It is only a fortnight ago that there was talk of priority picks. You know little about culture if you think that two wins is indicative of a strong culture.

Second bolded point:

Do you predict this? And what will happen? We will be in a similar age range to them and were younger on the weekend. This is a polite way of saying your sentence is meaningless fear mongering. What happens when their top liners retire and we win the first of four flags in a decade? What happens in that scenario? Well?
Haha, CEO given the boot, you for real, he's been in the chair for 25 years!

We need people in power who actually have a voice? I’d have to google our board to see who is on it.
Someone needs to stand up for the club. No wonder we are a minnow.
All too busy down protesting against our sponsor, sums us up in a nutshell.

Haha close this ******* thread down. Your basing this off a derby loss? I’ve seen far worse than Saturday night. 2 weeks on the road with two close losses against two quality sides clearly the team was burnt out. Add the fact the FF was knocked out in the first 5 mins.

I’m a 25yr member and I’m not happy with Saturday’s result, but people claiming they are going to hand their membership in is ******* ridiculous. I had the dockers at 3-3 and honestly didn’t think they would get close to Brisbane, Carlton or Port.

Relax, it’s a long season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha close this ******* thread down. Your basing this off a derby loss? I’ve seen far worse than Saturday night. 2 weeks on the road with two close losses against two quality sides clearly the team was burnt out. Add the fact the FF was knocked out in the first 5 mins.

I’m a 25yr member and I’m not happy with Saturday’s result, but people claiming they are going to hand their membership in is ******* ridiculous. I had the dockers at 3-3 and honestly didn’t think they would get close to Brisbane, Carlton or Port.

Relax, it’s a long season.

Read the thread mate. It's not based off a derby loss. Actually the fact that it was a derby is irrelevant. The fact is we got smacked all over the ground by the reigning wooden spooners. We were uncompetitive after the 15 minute mark of the first qtr. A kid in his 6th game literally ran over the top of our experienced players.

More broadly, as I've explained throughout the thread it's part of a long term pattern of underperformance which it underpinned by a culture of underperformance that wouldn't be accepted at other clubs.

No-one is claiming that they are going to hand their memberships in...actually I'm suggesting members mobilise and use their membership as a lever to apply pressure on the clubs leadership. We need to question the effectiveness of the board at developing, sustaining, and delivering a successful strategy.

Yes it's a long season but the statistics show that results after round 7 are very telling to premiership odds. I fear that this is another season down the toilet in April after yet another pre-season filled with hope and anticipation. I'd be very happy to be wrong, in fact delighted but I don't think I will be. I was in Adelaide for the Port game and at Optus for the Derby. I've seen enough to believe that we would need a dramatic turn-around to be a competitive force come September.

I don't believe threads should be shut down just because some people don't like or agree with the content.

Last edited:
Read the thread mate. It's not based off a derby loss. Actually the fact that it was a derby is irrelevant. The fact is we got smacked all over the ground by the reigning wooden spooners. We were uncompetitive after the 15 minute mark of the first qtr. A kid in his 6th game literally ran over the top of our experienced players.

More broadly, as I've explained throughout the thread it's part of a long term pattern of underperformance which it underpinned by a culture of underperformance that wouldn't be accepted at other clubs.

No-one is claiming that they are going to hand their memberships in...actually I'm suggesting members mobilise and use their membership as a lever to apply pressure on the clubs leadership. We need to question the effectiveness of the board at developing, sustaining, and delivering a successful strategy.

Yes it's a long season but the statistics show that results after round 7 are very telling to premiership odds. I fear that this is another season down the toilet in April after yet another pre-season filled with hope and anticipation. I'd be very happy to be wrong, in fact delighted but I don't think I will be. I was in Adelaide for the Port game and at Optus for the Derby. I've seen enough to beleive that we would need a dramatic turn-around to be a competitive force come September.

I don't beleive threads should be shut down just because some people don't like or agree with the content.
I’ve still got Freo making the finals and look forward to revisiting this thread at a later date.

Do you remember WCE knocking off the giants at home last year? The same giants that made the preliminary last year and lost by a point.

Any team on their night in front of a packed out home crowd can achieve anything. Ie. 2022 Elimination final.

That kid was a no1 draftee and he is doing what all expected he would do in short bursts. Yeo and Gov and the like are finally injury free and are the driving force for that club, not the pinup boy in the state paper.

Suggesting Freo members mobilise and use their membership as a lever onto the leadership group is what? Holding a club to ransom that a group of passionate members are going to cancel their membership?

I feel you’re basing this whole thread on a derby loss and that’s just my opinion. Freo were very competitive against Carlton and Port (and unlucky) who most pundits have for top 4. Freo win those 2 close games and they are 5-0 and they lose a derby and no one gives a *.

I feel this club has turned a corner and from within those four walls there is a lot going right. I feel it’s a little early for calling members to arms that’s all.

I’ve still got Freo making the finals and look forward to revisiting this thread at a later date.

Do you remember WCE knocking off the giants at home last year? The same giants that made the preliminary last year and lost by a point.

Any team on their night in front of a packed out home crowd can achieve anything. Ie. 2022 Elimination final.

That kid was a no1 draftee and he is doing what all expected he would do in short bursts. Yeo and Gov and the like are finally injury free and are the driving force for that club, not the pinup boy in the state paper.

Suggesting Freo members mobilise and use their membership as a lever onto the leadership group is what? Holding a club to ransom that a group of passionate members are going to cancel their membership?

I feel you’re basing this whole thread on a derby loss and that’s just my opinion. Freo were very competitive against Carlton and Port (and unlucky) who most pundits have for top 4. Freo win those 2 close games and they are 5-0 and they lose a derby and no one gives a *.

I feel this club has turned a corner and from within those four walls there is a lot going right. I feel it’s a little early for calling members to arms that’s all.
I didn’t know you had this level of post in you. I apologise for the Tom Browne comment, your welcome here anytime Mr Duffield

Last edited:

Totally agree with your comments in your last two posts.
I wonder why the original poster actually waited until after the Derby loss to post such an article.
Did he/she invest heavily monetary wise on an easy, big win.
Why all of a sudden, after a very good start to the season with a tough draw a couple of weeks away from home, wins against two teams that have been in the favourites race for the flag.
I like all Fremantle members/ supporters, was totally disappointed by theu result. It always hurts to get beaten by the Yellas, but just have to suck it up and, if you were poking the biteys by bragging about how we were going to smash them, then put on your big boy pants and accept that you only get back what you hand out.
After 30 years, I can say that this loss is not as bad as many previous losses that have upset me enough to write to the club about.
But each to his own I guess.

That's great, I hope you are right and if you are I hope you enjoy being right.

You are the only person that is talking about cancelling memberships, I haven't mentioned it once.

I feel you’re basing this whole thread on a derby loss and that’s just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on what I am basing it on.

It's been 30 years, how long do you suggest we wait?

I wonder why the original poster actually waited until after the Derby loss to post such an article.
Did he/she invest heavily monetary wise on an easy, big win.
Why all of a sudden, after a very good start to the season with a tough draw a couple of weeks away from home, wins against two teams that have been in the favourites race for the flag

Actually I nearly posted it after the Port game. I was there and watched us snatch a loss from the jaws of victory by an incomprehnsible on-field strategy and approach while the game was on the line against a Port side that basically couldn't get their game going all night.

As I keep saying, it's an irrelevance that it was a derby, the fact is it was a comprehensive flogging from the wooden spooners.

If you want to spend your time analysing my motivation go for it, it adds nothing to the broader discussion regarding the performance culture at the club.

Actually I nearly posted it after the Port game. I was there and watched us snatch a loss from the jaws of victory by an incomprehnsible on-field strategy and approach while the game was on the line against a Port side that basically couldn't get their game going all night.

As I keep saying, it's an irrelevance that it was a derby, the fact is it was a comprehensive flogging from the wooden spooners.

If you want to spend your time analysing my motivation go for it, it adds nothing to the broader discussion regarding the perfromance culture at the club.
Whg didn'you. Just semms like a total knee jerk reaction to a loss against thd Yellas.
Obviously it was not an irrelevance that it was Derby, because yoh were only preparef to puf pen to paper aftef that loss.
I am just pointing out the pointlessness of your post. I have no idea , just a suspucion that it may well be the hip pocket talking.

Whg didn'you. Just semms like a total knee jerk reaction to a loss against thd Yellas.
Obviously it was not an irrelevance that it was Derby, because yoh were only preparef to puf pen to paper aftef that loss.
I am just pointing out the pointlessness of your post. I have no idea , just a suspucion that it may well be the hip pocket talking.

I've attempted to explain where I'm coming from many times throughout the thread. I've been a member for 29 years, and I do not bet on sport (or anything). It's got nothing to do with West Coast beyond the fact that they were the wooden spooners from last year. I can't be clearer than that. If you think you better understand my motivation than I do then good for you. If you have nothing to contribute here other than having a crack at me and creating inneundo then why not just move on to another thread.

Last edited:

Yes... come to the optimism side. Also, this thread is reactive nonsense.

Yes... come to the optimism side. Also, this thread is reactive nonsense.

I really don't see why you see it as necessary to describe my contribution as nonsense, but if that makes you feel better then good for you.

It is reactive, to 30 years of underperformance and a desire to see our club develop the type of high performance culture that successful clubs seem to be able to foster.

I really don't see why you see it as necessary to describe my contribution as nonsense, but if that makes you feel better then good for you.

It is reactive, to 30 years of underperformance and a desire to see our club develop the type of high performance culture that successful clubs seem to be able to foster.
I definitely think your point is valid (we can disagree on the timing, but that's largely irrelevant at his point).

My question is what would you like to see done or done differently? I've given some thought to this and without the use of useless motherhood statements or emotional, Monday expert declarations, I've struggled to come up with anything I'd consider would have actually moved the dial.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Because regular posters here like to think of BF as a place for more rational discussion. There is a venting thread already for venting. This type of visceral emotional reaction is what you'd expect to read in the comments of a Facebook media post.

Especially the fact that you're returning and replying to every comment and trying to keep the outrage machine going. A lot of people don't have time for that here, it's quite irritating.

Even in this above post, emotional hyperbole over real facts. "30 years of underperformance", this is not a fact, it's an emotive statement designed to get a reaction. Is "performance" strictly measured by premierships won? I don't think so. We've at times had the best team in the league, it's just never fallen into place at the right time of a specific year. So your statement is factually false.

Thankfully, most people can see that in the AFL it doesn't take much to get beaten and overreacting to an unexpected loss is mostly a waste of time after the initial shock has dissipated. Yet here you are, still banging on about it telling us to make a stand three days later.

This thread should honestly just be deleted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back