Opinion Effectiveness of the Board and Executive Leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft, you're regularly having a crack at players you don't like, then when someone has a go at one of your pet players or someone you may know you get all riled up about it. It's a forum where people give their opinions. Probably fair to expect that some s**t gets thrown around.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The funny thing about this one, is that he was defending Steve Harris. I have known Steve for many years, and one thing he doesn’t need is anyone else to defend him. He would have zero problems with people critiquing his decisions and performance, and he’s no shrinking violet either, would be happy to debate the pros and cons.

Reality is if you want to sit in a position like the president of an AFL club, then you are opening yourself up to public scrutiny. Steve understands that very well.

Critiquing the performance of the club’s administrators is a totally different thing to having an unnecessary crack at other members here just because they think differently to you.

Last edited:

Ummm we are like still 6th on the ladder.

It's a great point. We are 6th on the ladder, and it's certainly possible that we will finish in the 8. But look a little deeper at who we have beaten and it's all bottom 8 teams. Our 5 wins this season are against teams that have a collective 9 wins between them, are all in the bottom 8 and include the 17th and 18th team. In the next 4 weeks we play Sydney, Collingwood, and Melbourne. Look further forward and we actually have to play Sydney and Melbourne twice, with games against Essendon, Geelong, and GWS still to come.

We have made 1 grand final in 30 years of AFL participation, and have won 1 final in the last 8 seasons. We are now in the 4th year of a 5 year strategy which had published primary objectives of winning 2 premierships and having 80k members. It's very clear that these objectives are not achievable, so the broader question on the effectiveness of the clubs board and executive leadership is relevant and worthy of discussion.

I had a couple of messages from posters after the Richmond game that thought that it was evidence of just how wrong I am and how great everything is. I was at the game and you have to realise just how bad Richmond are to consider the result in context. It was an ugly game to watch, and our connection (or lack of) centre forward remains a real worry. Yes you can only play the team in front of you, and yes it's good to win but we are a long way from being competitive with the best teams in the way we are going about connection between midfield and forwards, effectivve forward stopages, marks inside 50, and scoring effectiveness.

I think it's important to look past individual weekly results and look at the broader trends when considering the fundamental question of "is our clubs leadership capable of developing and delivering a successful strategy".

if we beat Sydney this week optimisim will rise. another lose against a top 8 team and our season is looking at best maybe 6th position more likely 8th or jsut outside the 8 on percentage

if we beat Sydney this week optimisim will rise. another lose against a top 8 team and our season is looking at best maybe 6th position more likely 8th or jsut outside the 8 on percentage
Will be pretty comfortable betting that the rhetoric is 'we lost closely* to a side who just comfortably beat the arguable premiership favourites!'

*close because we don't kick many goals.

Will be pretty comfortable betting that the rhetoric is 'we lost closely* to a side who just comfortably beat the arguable premiership favourites!'

*close because we don't kick many goals.
yes no more excuses. we lsot to carlton and port in close games. a loss is a loss. a win is a win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back