Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

This is something Ive thought of as I get older

When I was 18 the 50 year olds were OLD - they looked old and they reminded me of how old my grandmother was

But as I get older I see 40-50 yr olds and I think most are a lot better looking from when I was 18

I recognise this is a function of age perspective but also a changing approach by women - mostly hair colour and botox
Also depends on your surroundings and who you hang out with I think

I work with people in their early 60's and they are OLD. Act old, look old, outlook on life is old, everything is old. Yet my parents are early 60's and you'd never know they were the same age as my colleagues... still play sport, still have a drink, still behave like their 30's mostly (for better or worse lol)

You don't have to age poorly but some people seemingly just give up...

When I was 18 the 50 year olds were OLD - they looked old and they reminded me of how old my grandmother was

But as I get older I see 40-50 yr olds and I think most are a lot better looking from when I was 18

I recognise this is a function of age perspective but also a changing approach by women - mostly hair colour and botox
I'd say less smoking is also a contributing one there. That ages most smokers considerably. Though it's a mixed bag IMO. With less smoking, better / more ubiquitous make up, women (and I suppose guys with males less smoking and more skincare around) look better / younger in the face than 50 years ago, at the same age. From the shoulders down, the 'average' person 30+ is a different matter though. Even older people generally looked reasonably slim / in shape on average 50 years ago.

I mean smoking and sun bathing used to be considered health too and both of this things age the skin

But also we artificially age people in our own minds based on clothes abd haircuts as well as how the actually look

It's not just women, a lot of male movie stars look younger than their age these days, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are both 60 now

Paul Rudd is 55 and he could still pass for a guy in his late 30s, don't think any of those guys use botox, they may use hair colour.

And Lorna Jane as well, what a concept!

People look after themselves better now than previous generations. (I’m talking generally, many of course don’t.) Better awareness of nutrition and exercise, also being able to work for longer and keeping a good appearance. I have photos of my grandparents taken when they were around 60, and they look much older. Conversely I know people well into their 70s who could easily pass for a lot younger. And no Botox involved! 🤣

People look after themselves better now than previous generations. (I’m talking generally, many of course don’t.) Better awareness of nutrition and exercise, also being able to work for longer and keeping a good appearance. I have photos of my grandparents taken when they were around 60, and they look much older. Conversely I know people well into their 70s who could easily pass for a lot younger. And no Botox involved! 🤣
My grandparents lived through two world wars and a global depression before they hit 40 which must have aged them a bit.

My grandparents lived through two world wars and a global depression before they hit 40 which must have aged them a bit.
Some evidence that this affects their offspring negatively as well, even when they haven't directly experienced the worst of it.

Some evidence that this affects their offspring negatively as well, even when they haven't directly experienced the worst of it.
I'm basing this on my experience growing up and watching how much better my mates parent their kids than their parents did, and I think Boomers being raised by men who would often be suffering from chronic undiagnosed PTSD has had very significant consequences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back