Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm very passionate about this issue and thought it deserved it's own thread to do it justice.

A few posters raised recently the issue in the BFL thread in light of The Advertiser's and 3BO's coverage regarding the Bendigo Bombers - QEO debacle.

In my opinion it's simple. We need another ground in Bendigo.

What isn't simple is how we achieve that. But stay with me for a moment.

The QEO has too much traffic on it
. I know, state the obvious right? It has two tenants in South Bendigo and Sandhurst who train and play on it as much as possible which, just between these two clubs, gives it almost twice the use as say a Canterbury or Dower Park does. They have been tenants for decades and should not be limited in their use of the ground IMO.

Then we have the Bendigo Bombers and occasionally Bendigo Pioneers wishing to use it. Here lies the problem for me. 3 clubs and the occasional 4th who currently have every right to use the ground is far too much and has as David Joss pointed out, made what was the 'Jewel in the crown of CV sport' into a joke.

Not only this but you have irregular users like the recent Vic u/16, BSSC and BJFL among others who also wish to get on. In a perfect world that should be allowed, but the QEO cannot cope.

We need to realise that a well conditioned, strong QEO venue is vital to our local community in not only bringing events to our city but also in developing our sporting interests and repairing our reputation as a strong, rural centre of sport.

My answer would be to build/develop another ground, strictly for the use of the Bendigo Bombers and Bendigo Pioneers as the regular tenants.

For too long our elite teams have struggled in terms of a home ground. Whether it be the Pioneers having to share with Golden Square on a ground that quite frankly has suffered as well or the Bombers having to play no games in Bendigo which is unacceptable.

We are Bendigo; one of the strongest, largest country communities and the 2nd largest in-land population in this country. We need to do better then this.

The 3BO boys pointed out that a big opportunity was missed in the developments out Epsom way perhaps even Strathfieldsaye. Whatever your opinion is of them, they are spot on.

If we give these clubs not only a ground that they can call their own to train and play on but also the ability to have social rooms and perhaps a gym, how beneficial would that be for them and the rest of our sporting community?

The flow on effect would be huge.

I can understand those wanting the QEO to be home to these teams, but I simply think that it is unworkable. There are too many suckling at it's teets so to speak and it's struggling accordingly. I cannot see, from a surface point of view how that could change. That's the reality.

The huge and obvious problem with a new ground is funding. But it's worth a shot. Something needs to be done because at the moment nothing is happening and no resolutions are being put forward. It's better to think big then do nothing at all, despite the possible difficulties.

The local council, state government, BFL, Bendigo Bombers and Pioneers as well as the local community between them represent some powerful forces if we were to work together. We need to close ranks and resolve this issue IMO.

As I said, we are Bendigo. We deserve better then this.

Thoughts?

I agree TheKITC.

As the Bombers have been saying pretty loudly - there is too much traffic.
No one has suggested that South or Sandhurst should leave the ground and they have been there forever so they shouldn't.

Another ground for the VFL and TAC games is the obvious answer.

The only question is that if the Bombers move off the QEO does the funding go with them to a new ground and then the QEO is left as is?

Steve Oliver pointed out on TV that the QEO is fine for country footy, so I guess then the BFNL would be happy for the money to go elsewhere - problem solved.

I agree TheKITC.

As the Bombers have been saying pretty loudly - there is too much traffic.
No one has suggested that South or Sandhurst should leave the ground and they have been there forever so they shouldn't.

Another ground for the VFL and TAC games is the obvious answer.

The only question is that if the Bombers move off the QEO does the funding go with them to a new ground and then the QEO is left as is?

Steve Oliver pointed out on TV that the QEO is fine for country footy, so I guess then the BFNL would be happy for the money to go elsewhere - problem solved.

honestly its not the training as its is only the bb and one of south or sandhurst and in fact i think that south and sandhurst may not get to train on it ? correct my if wrong.

also they dont have juniors play on it let alone train on it.

another ground they had the chance next to the hockey courts in iron bark probably one of the biggest areas in bendigo no took it ? where would you find a ground.

best part would be to move bb or pios to strath build up the ground as it is big enough for VFL and pios or get pios to stay at gs

honestly its not the training as its is only the bb and one of south or sandhurst and in fact i think that south and sandhurst may not get to train on it ? correct my if wrong.

Have to disagree. It's the training and the playing; everything. The amount of traffic that's on there is too much.

Every club tries to get on there as much as possible. Sandhurst and South alternate between training there and Tom Flood depending on who has the home game that week. At least that's how it is when they are not restricted access due to poor condition of the surface.

also they dont have juniors play on it let alone train on it.

Again disagree. Of recent years the BJFL finals have been played there, some months ago the u/16 country championships were there and BSSC consistently vie for access through their PE faculty and Herald Sun Shield sides (usually with limited success I might add).

I'm sure there are other things I am unaware of, it is 'Bendigo Oval' afterall.

another ground they had the chance next to the hockey courts in iron bark probably one of the biggest areas in bendigo no took it ? where would you find a ground.

I too thought of this space, not 100% sure it is a good fit though. Is there really that much room there at Garden Gully? Plus the access to that precinct is horrible with limited parking to boot.... Hmmm.

best part would be to move bb or pios to strath build up the ground as it is big enough for VFL and pios or get pios to stay at gs

But then you have the same old problem of 3 teams using the same ground :confused:

There is a thought now that the Strath team is up and running that they may have missed the boat on that one, likewise Epsom.

A possible left field option that might work was if they developed that secondary oval out there into their base and make/modify some sort of middle grandstand/change rooms between the two ovals and struck up a partnership with the Strath team over the use of their social rooms, which are very decent I might add.

I'm just not sure, I have no magic bullet answer that's why I put it out there to you guys.

I just think the situation at the moment is pathetic.

Every club tries to get on there as much as possible. Sandhurst and South alternate between training there and Tom Flood depending on who has the home game that week. At least that's how it is when they are not restricted access due to poor condition of the surface.

Don't know about South, but Sandhurst have trained at the QEO 3 times this year and subsequently have been pushed and shoved between Harry Trott, Tom Flood, uni Netball courts... and now the Epsom soccer ovals...

South and Hurst should be congratulated in being so competitive given the lack of access to their own home ground!

Don't know about South, but Sandhurst have trained at the QEO 3 times this year and subsequently have been pushed and shoved between Harry Trott, Tom Flood, uni Netball courts... and now the Epsom soccer ovals...

South and Hurst should be congratulated in being so competitive given the lack of access to their own home ground!

To be fair though - so have the Bombers. They are moving between Tom Flood and Strathfieldsaye.

About $2 million is needed to upgrade the much-maligned playing surface of the QEO, which at the moment is not suitable for VFL football to be played on.

The City of Greater Bendigo in its budget has committed $500,000 to the surface upgrade project, meaning another $1.5 million needs to be sourced elsewhere before the overdue works can start.

In the interests of what’s best for the QEO, hopefully, the $1.5 million needed can be funded through government grants, ensuring the project gets done and Bendigo maintains control of its ground.

QEO Funds Article

THE Bendigo Bank Bombers are hopeful Strathfieldsaye’s Tannery Lane could be their answer to still being able to play VFL games in Bendigo this season.

the Bombers remain determined to play in Bendigo again this year, and are investigating the possibility of Tannery Lane as an option for home games

Bombers consider Strathfieldsaye option

i know it wont solve all problems, getting the juniors out of the way, why not move them to ccb, 6 ovals. when i was a kid they were all running, now none of them. left field lads i know, alot of leagues have one, plenty of space. put a state of the art ground in the middle of the trotting track. everything is within reach, just one the outskirts. plenty of parking. could connect up to the already powerful lighting. reckon it might have been floated a few years ago.

spending some large $ on the qeo surface, whats the point? with the amount of traffic it has, it will be done again in two years time. correct me if im wrong, didnt they place new drainage and resurface the ground a few years back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back