Society/Culture The Gender Pay Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

The argument should be based of per hour for the same job. Anything else is nonsense. Most of my friends partners don’t work and they alter stats for a gender pay gap..
If they don't work they don't alter stats

Some work 1-2 days a week. I thought the stats were taken every woman vs every man?
you didn't write that they work part time

you wrote that they don't work

The argument should be based of per hour for the same job. Anything else is nonsense. Most of my friends partners don’t work and they alter stats for a gender pay gap..

So if 10 women work 1 day and week compared to 10 men full time that would represent a pay gap yes?
It would present a difference that a statistician would delve into their bag of tricks to account for to get an accurate figure. As they already do in order to get the figures they publish.

It would present a difference that a statistician would delve into their bag of tricks to account for to get an accurate figure. As they already do in order to get the figures they publish.
GPG = (Average male total remuneration - Average female total remuneration) / Average male total remuneration x 100. The calculation includes all employees and employee types (part time and casuals included)

Seems a very stupid way to do this when women make up nearly 70% of part time and casual workers and not even 40% of full time workers.

GPG = (Average male total remuneration - Average female total remuneration) / Average male total remuneration x 100. The calculation includes all employees and employee types (part time and casuals included)
Where did you see that?

As per my previous post, this is not the case. The 10 women that work 1 day a week effectively have their pay multiplied by five before doing the calculation.
this is to cover for them saying that women who don't work affect the stats which is clearly false

this is to cover for them saying that women who don't work affect the stats which is clearly false
Yep.

More women not working at all does not affect the stats from a calculation point of view - but it would be interesting to consider that it very well may have an impact on the actual numbers.

What I mean here is that households (with a man/woman couple, of which there are many) where only one of the pair do paid work may very well be more likely to have that partner on a high salary. One, out of necessity, they will seek higher paying roles (compared to a couple where both work), and they may also be able to come to an arrangement where it is easier for that person to put in the time required to gain such high paying roles, as their non working (for pay) partner can cover more of the unpaid work that the household requires. And guess what, more men take on the single income role than women.

urgh. Not sure if I explained that correctly. Basically it would be good to consider the pay of all people who are in a co-domiciled relationship, and see if the average (per person) for single earners is higher than for dual earners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

More women not working at all does not affect the stats from a calculation point of view - but it would be interesting to consider that it very well may have an impact on the actual numbers.

What I mean here is that households (with a man/woman couple, of which there are many) where only one of the pair do paid work may very well be more likely to have that partner on a high salary. One, out of necessity, they will seek higher paying roles (compared to a couple where both work), and they may also be able to come to an arrangement where it is easier for that person to put in the time required to gain such high paying roles, as their non working (for pay) partner can cover more of the unpaid work that the household requires. And guess what, more men take on the single income role than women.

urgh. Not sure if I explained that correctly. Basically it would be good to consider the pay of all people who are in a co-domiciled relationship, and see if the average (per person) for single earners is higher than for dual earners.
i get what you mean

its also another thing that can cause problems with who gets the priority for work time, ie both parents work but one makes more so their job takes priority

its not as bad as it used to be with guys doing school drop offs etc or having to take a day off to be home with sick kids

but there can certainly be pressure on the lower income earner to be the one who is flexible at all times which can impact their ability to earn more in the future

i have a mate who was the stay at home because his partner earned more than him

As per my previous post, this is not the case. The 10 women that work 1 day a week effectively have their pay multiplied by five before doing the calculation.
The only way to accurately measure this is same job and same experience

Hubby is a union worker in the tunnels on 250k a year and wife works for $150 a day in the local cafe once a week (x5 for the calculation) why should that meaningless differential affect the overall stats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back