Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

April Fools mate - catch up.
Episode 7 GIF by The Simpsons

Hopefully the joy and excitement of the Jackjumpers victory, will show the AFL Commission and Tassie politicians that an AFL Tasmanian team must occur - otherwise, this Australian Rules heartland will suffer an inevitable slow decline to other codes
IMG_1037.png seven thousand tickets went for the celebrations this afternoon, people might laugh about the nbl but if the afl team doesn’t happen football is at a serious risk down here there’s a lot more kid’s playing basketball than footy currently

View attachment 1946081seven thousand tickets went for the celebrations this afternoon, people might laugh about the nbl but if the afl team doesn’t happen football is at a serious risk down here there’s a lot more kid’s playing basketball than footy currently
Worldwide Basketball is growing at a huge rate.
2 of my 4 grandsons play basketball, and yet years ago would have played football, and basketball is killing Cricket in the Caribbean.

2 of my 4 grandsons play basketball, and yet years ago would have played football, and basketball is killing Cricket in the Caribbean.
Basketball’s last great boom was in the 1980’s to 1990’s, when Melbourne alone had 4 professional teams, compared to just 2 today. But after thé boom faded, thé AFL had a great influx of players “with a basketball background” - for so many junior baseball players aspiring g to a professional career found 2 insurmountable problems -
1) Unless one is exceptionally skilled AND exceptionally quick (both attributes are necessary), one can basically forget about a meaningful high paying professional career in basketball unless they are over 200cm.
2) For a meaningful, high paying professional career, one has to be better than just being an NBL player - its wages certainly can’t compete with the AFL.

Scott Pendlebury is the perfect example - he had an AIS basketball scholarship and his heart was set on becoming an NBA career - that was until he stopped growing at 191 cm, meaning the only possible position open to him was as a point guard - but he didn’t have the elite pace required by the NBA (Patty Mills subsequently did) and he wasn’t interested in just an NBL career - so he went back to footy and the rest is history.

I also personally know a very talented junior footballer and basketballer (representing Victoria schoolboys in both) who chose to pursue a basketball career (including playing in the NCAA). He ended up back in the NBL (now retired) and now very much regrets his choice.

Last edited:
Basketball’s last great boom was in the 1980’s to 1990’s, when Melbourne alone had 4 professional teams, compared to just 2 today. But after thé boom faded, thé AFL had a great influx of players “with a basketball background” - for so many junior baseball players aspiring g to a professional career found 2 insurmountable problems -
1) Unless one is exceptionally skilled AND exceptionally quick (both attributes are necessary), one can basically forget about a meaningful high paying professional career in basketball unless they are over 200cm.
2) For a meaningful, high paying professional career, one has to be better than just being an NBL player - its wages certainly can’t compete with the AFL.

Scott Pendlebury is the perfect example - he had an AIS basketball scholarship and his heart was set on becoming an NBA career - that was until he stopped growing at 191 cm, meaning the only possible position open to him was as a point guard - but he didn’t have the elite pace required by the NBA (Patty Mills subsequently did) and he wasn’t interested in just an NBL career - so he went back to footy and the rest is history.

I also personally know a very talented junior footballer and basket aller (representing Victoria schoolboys in both) who chose to pursue a basketball career (including playing in the NCAA). He ended up back in the NBL (now retired) and now very much regrets his choice.
I had no idea Pendlebury played basketball, why hasn’t a commentator ever mentioned that.

Even people who generally hate sport probably did a bit of bball in school years
I had to play basketball at school and hated it, yet 2 of my grandsons love it.
I always preferred to play sports that you played outside, like football, cricket, and loved running and long jump.

No one gives a s**t about basketball, even the NBA doesn't have same interest.

Maybe kids play it but no one cares.

People get depressed when their football team loses. Basketball...lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one gives a s**t about basketball, even the NBA doesn't have same interest.

Maybe kids play it but no one cares.

People get depressed when their football team loses. Basketball...lol.
I certainly didn't for sure, but it's killing cricket in the West Indies, and is growing in Europe, as the amount of people playing it world wide grows.

Last edited:
I certainly didn't for sure, but it's killing cricket in the West Indies, and is growing in Europe, as the amount of people playing it world wide grows.

Yeah I understand it's fun and safe to play but emotionally no one cares. Even in states in comparison with NFL the investment emotionally just isn't the same. Same as with AFL and NRL here. Team wins or loses impacts a persons mood. Basketball team wins or loses ... so what.

Yeah I understand it's fun and safe to play but emotionally no one cares. Even in states in comparison with NFL the investment emotionally just isn't the same. Same as with AFL and NRL here. Team wins or loses impacts a persons mood. Basketball team wins or loses ... so what.
I think alot for people care. Not the same number as AFL but definitely still a lot. I know as a Tasmanian who loves basketball, the Jackies winning or losing does determine my mood.

Finally, the Tasmanian Election Commission have finished all the counting. Final results is: Liberals 14, Labor 10, Greens 5, Jacqui Lambie Network 3, and independents 3.

It’s going to be very interesting negotiations for the Liberals to put together a minority government

Last edited:
This is often cited but it isn't actually true. Basketball is only popular in the parts of the Windies where cricket isn't popular, such as the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands (where Tim Duncan is from).

Actually do some research and look up Basketball popularity in places like Antigua, Guyana and Trinidad where cricket is at its strongest. Basketball is completely anonymous there.

Basketball's growth recently is basically in Africa and the success of the 3x3 Fiba rules. Not "the west indies".

Reports of Tasmania being in the frame to become host of an Opening/Gather Round hybrid add a whole 'nother dimension to the business case debate.

That is squillions more in tourism dollars the state would generate every year as a result of the new stadium. Bad look for any politician opposing such an obvious and significant boost to the economy, yikes.

Reports of Tasmania being in the frame to become host of an Opening/Gather Round hybrid add a whole 'nother dimension to the business case debate.

That is squillions more in tourism dollars the state would generate every year as a result of the new stadium. Bad look for any politician opposing such an obvious and significant boost to the economy, yikes.
Why would you write ‘nother when it’s actually harder to type than it is to type ‘another’?

Hard to argue...

As the Queensland and Tasmanian governments wrestle with sports stadium decisions, the advice from South Australia about the impact of its big stadium gamble couldn’t be clearer.

“What it’s done to our city, it’s revitalised it,” SA Premier Peter Malinauskas told CODE Sports.

Adelaide Oval is the crown jewel of this week’s Gather Round, yet Malinauskas says the stadium redevelopment that was fully completed in 2014 has provided so much more.

“It’s done a lot for the city, there is no doubt about it. Before the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval, we had footy being played in a location that was difficult for local fans and unappealing to interstate fans. And so the economics of Adelaide Oval have worked out beautifully,” he said.
“There were critics about the investment before it happened,” he said. “All those critics were silenced pretty quickly, in fact they were silenced within weeks of the first event taking place. There is no doubt that it’s been a public policy success for the city and the state.”

But having witnessed the success of Adelaide Oval and the footbridge linking the state-of-the-art stadium to the city’s CBD, Koch said Tasmania should have similar aspirations.

He said the presidents would not relent on that demand for a new stadium. “I am big supporter of Tasmania coming in,’’ Koch said. “If Tasmania wants to put a team in, fantastic.

“Your ticket is to make sure there is financial stability and also facilities that live up to that status.

“There was marching in the streets against the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval, of building the bridge over the river everyone loves. Can you find anyone today who will admit to being part of that protest?” Koch told the ABC Adelaide Oval was “ the best bit of public infrastructure in this state for the last 20-30 years in terms of generating economic activity.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back