Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

We comparing Australian basketball revenue to AFL revenue?

It’s basketball FFS. Watched by 190 people in this country.

What a ridiculous comparison.

Of course the Devils will be far and away a larger franchise than the what are they called? Jack Jumpers?

It's just a point of reference.

The Devils have made more in sticker sales in a week than the Jack Jumpers make in total revenue in a year.

We comparing Australian basketball revenue to AFL revenue?

Relax dude, its a point of reference nothing more.

It’s basketball FFS. Watched by 190 people in this country.

They have average crowds of around 7,000 this season and the Jackjumpers sell out Mystatebank Arena every home game - 4,340 cap.

What a ridiculous comparison.

Of course the Devils will be far and away a larger franchise than the what are they called? Jack Jumpers?

they are still 5 years from starting, and with the political climate atm, its 60/40 whether it happens at all.

I just *ing hate basketball
James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

ex-sydneysider and rectangular code fan (soccer fan i believe) andrew wilkie is doing his best to destroy the hobart stadium deal

now .... he may have a point re the issues hes raised overnight (and hes perfectly entitled to do so as an elected member of parliament) - but he should declare his anti-afl and anti hobart stadium positions to provide some context here

ex-sydneysider and rectangular code fan (soccer fan i believe) andrew wilkie is doing his best to destroy the hobart stadium deal

now .... he may have a point re the issues hes raised overnight (and hes perfectly entitled to do so as an elected member of parliament) - but he should declare his anti-afl and anti hobart stadium positions to provide some context here
Wilkie is just an out and out flog. Definitely an ulterior motive here.

Also went from the Libs to the Greens? How does that happen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he should have dressed up in a pig suit again to remain relevant.

Also went from the Libs to the Greens? How does that happen?
in his defence .... howard (and those who pushed for the iraqi invasion) burned wilkie whilst he was a member of the intelligence community ..... he did have a genuine gripe here

in his defence .... howard (and those who pushed for the iraqi invasion) burned wilkie whilst he was a member of the intelligence community ..... he did have a genuine gripe here
So independent would make sense.

Not a complete change of political views - I’d say?

Well, TBF, the Armidale, NSW born and raised Wilkie has expressed his support on multiple occasions for a brand new tax payer funded swanky new Hobart stadium in a prime location ….

… only he demands it be a rectangular stadium to host soccer, NRL and rugby codes, while he insists the AFL make do with the small, sub-standard Bellerive cricket field stuck out in the back woods of Clarence, with no hope of expansion.

The scumbag showed up today in parliament bagging the afl too, trying to get the p.m to step in on the Melbourne drugs matter. These old stagers outta Sydney really hate the afl don't they? Look at John Coates the peice of s**t, doing anything in his power to ensure no oval stadium is built in Brisbane for the afl to use post Olympics (and weasling out another 1 billion in funding for a r.l stadium that isn't needed in the meantime).

The scumbag showed up today in parliament bagging the afl too, trying to get the p.m to step in on the Melbourne drugs matter. These old stagers outta Sydney really hate the afl don't they? Look at John Coates the peice of s**t, doing anything in his power to ensure no oval stadium is built in Brisbane for the afl to use post Olympics (and weasling out another 1 billion in funding for a r.l stadium that isn't needed in the meantime).
I think a lot of it is driven by cultural cringe. To a certain type of high-achieving, internationally astute person, Australian football, with its general irrelevancy outside Australia, is not something that should be celebrated or endorsed. It's not something the rest of the world concerns itself with, so therefore, by extension there's a belief it's not something that should be celebrated, promoted in, invested in here.

Never the mind that the same point of view can be flipped on its head and provided for the exact opposite conclusion. As an inherently Australian thing, it should be celebrated as a unique creation and representation of Australian culture. God knows that's the same reason why we justify funding arts programs or whatever. Promoting elite-level Australian football is not miles apart from giving government grant money to some filmmaker so they can "create Australian stories" or whatever (not that that is necessarily a bad thing either).

wilkies efforts will be as much a public message to jackie lambie (and her newly elected mps in tasmania) as it will be to score points against an organisation he quite obviously detests

Well, TBF, the Armidale, NSW born and raised Wilkie has expressed his support on multiple occasions for a brand new tax payer funded swanky new Hobart stadium in a prime location ….

… only he demands it be a rectangular stadium to host soccer, NRL and rugby codes, while he insists the AFL make do with the small, sub-standard Bellerive cricket field stuck out in the back woods of Clarence, with no hope of expansion.
It’s absolutely laughable hey. AFL and cricket are the most popular spectator sports in Tassie by an enormous margin. I lived in Tassie for most of my life and genuinely know about three people who care about rugby league. And as for the A-League, it’s a farmer’s league in comparison to the AFL. Wilkie shouldn’t be making such claims and demanding funding for sporting facilities that are totally out of step with the culture and interests of the community that he is supposed to be representing.

I think a lot of it is driven by cultural cringe. To a certain type of high-achieving, internationally astute person, Australian football, with its general irrelevancy outside Australia, is not something that should be celebrated or endorsed. It's not something the rest of the world concerns itself with, so therefore, by extension there's a belief it's not something that should be celebrated, promoted in, invested in here.

Never the mind that the same point of view can be flipped on its head and provided for the exact opposite conclusion. As an inherently Australian thing, it should be celebrated as a unique creation and representation of Australian culture. God knows that's the same reason why we justify funding arts programs or whatever. Promoting elite-level Australian football is not miles apart from giving government grant money to some filmmaker so they can "create Australian stories" or whatever (not that that is necessarily a bad thing either).

There's an element of that, but I always thought it was Sydney elitism, that if they didn't invent something and it came out of lowly Melbourne, then it shouldn't be celebrated. Mixed with that, a bit of envy that they didn't invent it and only 'they' can set the Australian culture. I've said it before, if Australian football was invented in Sydney, it would be celebrated as Australia's greatest invention of cultural significance, by the Sydney/national media.

Last edited:
There's an element of that, but I always thought it was Sydney elitism, that if they didn't invent something and it came out of lowly Melbourne, then it shouldn't be celebrated. Mixed with that, a bit of envy that they didn't invent it and only 'they' can set the Australian culture. I've said it before, if Australian football was invented in Sydney, it would be celebrated as Australia's greatest invention of cultural significance by the national media (which comes out of Sydney).
I don't think there's a huge distinction between the elitism and the cultural cringe. Sydney viewing itself as Australia's most 'international' city, the 'first/oldest' city, the city with the most recognisiable international landmarks, the finance and business capital of Australia etc. creates the conditions for both the elitism and the cultural cringe.

Never mind that in some measurements of which is the better city as it relates to the rest of the world, as opposed to just "feelings", Melbourne is the better city - for instance the University of Melbourne is considered the better university than the University of Sydney and Monash is far better than any other uni in Sydney. I suppose Sydney do have better transport links to their airport, though.

Last edited:
interesting Xitter discussion

[edit] think wilkies motives have to be seriously questioned here .... why do it? (hint .... it may have a lot to do with hobart stadium, tasmanias new parliament, govt funding given to the afl etc)

Biggest non-story iin the history of non-stories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back