sportstalk07

All Australian
Jul 10, 2007
Around Tasmania
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Northern Tassie
Saturday: Glenorchy v Burnie at KGV 1410, Launceston v Lauderdale at Windsor Park 1400, North Hobart v South L'ton at North Hobart 1400, Devonport v Hobart at Devonport 1800
Sunday: North Lton v Clarence at Aurora 1400

There are two games of interest in the 6th round of competition in the State League. On Saturday Glenorchy will host Burnie in a top of the table shootout at KGv, and while the Magpies are getting into the swing of proceeding in 2009, the Dockers sounded a massive warning signal to the rest of the competition with a 30 goal score against the Bombers. Simply any sort of repeat in this game will be fatal for the Magpies, but I don't think it will be as high scoring, still the Dockers look good for a win here. On Sunday North Launceston host Clarence and the Bombers season risks falling apart after they have lost 3 of their last 4 games, and unless something radical changes against the Roos, it will be 4 losses from 5. The Roos while unconvincing against Launceston still managed a win and will certainly start favourites to defeat the Bombers on Sunday. The Three other Saturday games should see the home sides successful being Launceston, North Hobart and Devonport.

Tips: Burnie by 23, Launceston by 46, North Hobart by 75, Devonport by 57, Clarence by 16

Looks like it's going to be another rainy weekend across the State.

Glenorchy v Burnie at KGV
Both sides in very good form at present, Burnie slightly better but having said that, the Pies will give them a lot of trouble, but in the end I can see a Dockers victory by 17 points.
KGV, rain and wind - it won't be a very high scoring game.

Launceston v Lauderdale at Windsor Park
The Bombers will trouble Launceston for awhile in this one but the Blues should sneak away and get the job done.
Lauderdale need a win here to keep their finals chances alive but it won't be this weekend.
Launceston by 40-points.

North Hobart v South Launceston at North Hobart Oval.
South yet to win a game, North haven't been all that impressive.
North beat Hobart with a 6 minute burst of football last week but weren't anything to write home about.
Of interest will be how small the crowd will be at this game, the official smallest crowd at the old TFL Statewide League matches was 390 (Launceston v Hobart at Windsor Park, Round 1 1995) and given how few fans North had at the TCA last week and the fact that they're playing the Bulldogs, I reckon they won't beat 390 ;)
Back to the footy, South play better footy away from home but I just think North will win by about 25 points in the finish.

Devonport v Hobart at Devonport Oval
Under lights on Saturday night and the Magpies are in great form, their performances at night have been excellent so far.
Hobart are in not in great form, have showed patches of good form but not the consistency to put it together for four quarters.
Hobart has played one night game in its entire history (at Lauderdale in 1999) so it will be a new thing for the Tigers to get used to, the Tigers last won at Devonport in 1992.
Expect Hobart to match it with Devonport for long parts of the match, but the Pies to explode at some point to put the match out of reach completely.
Devonport by 52-points.

North Launceston v Clarence at Aurora Stadium
A Sunday game this one.
These two clubs hated each others guts in the old TFL, but North seem to be a shadow of the old North Launceston Robins we knew and hated back then and Clarence need to keep winning.
North have dropped a few on the trot and got spanked last week becoming the first side to lose by over 100-points in the TSL, Clarence should win.
I tip the Roos by 37-points.

TSL Round 6 Results
Seniors:
Burnie 11.14 (80) - Glenorchy 11.12 (78)
Lauderdale 9.7 (61) - Launceston 5.12 (42)
Sth Launceston 13.6 (84) - Nth Hobart 12.8 (80)

Devonport almost five goals in front of Hobart nearing quarter time in windy conditions at Devonport Oval.

Reserves
Burnie 11.10 (76) - Glenorchy 3.6 (24)
Launceston 7.11 (53) - Lauderdale 5.8 (38)
Nth Hobart 17.11 (113) - Sth Launceston 9.11 (65)

Hobart defeated Devonport in the Reserves to record their first TFL/TSL win after 23 consecutive losses at that level stretching back to the final round of 1996.

anyone go to any of these games? The crowds looked very poor on the news and they don't seem to be publishing any crowd figures for some reason......

anyone go to any of these games? The crowds looked very poor on the news and they don't seem to be publishing any crowd figures for some reason......

No, but I watched the Glenorchy - Burnie game on ABC1 today.
Crowd of about 700 at KGV, not all that bad considering the poor weather in Hobart over the past few days.
It was only about 8 or 9 in Hobart today with about 50mm of rain the past 36 hours, mountain covered in snow (and some of the hills out in the Northern suburbs as well).
We won't even talk about that wind :thumbsdown:

I'd be very interested to know how many they got at North Hobart though ;)

Cheers, Kingpin.

Who kicked goals, played well please?

I don't know mate, I'm not at the game.
Got a text message from a relative that was at the ground.
She reckoned Hobart were very lucky they didn't get a bigger belting and that they were very disappointing.
I'd expect besties and scorers to be in the local rag tommorrow or maybe the Sporting Pulse site sometime this evening.
Means my mob are now officially the strongest team in the comp (again) :p

Cheers, Kingpin.

Who kicked goals, played well please?

Devonport
Goal Kickers: P. Crowden 7, B. Symmons 2, R. Colbeck , S. Hess , R. Mott , S. Widdowson , A. Clements
Best Players: P. Crowden, S. Hess, S. Rundle, B. Symmons, B. Reynolds, B. McDonald
Hobart
Goal Kickers: M. Cassidy 2, L. Sullivan , P. Bass , F. Reeves , R. Sullivan
Best Players: A. Hall, D. Flood, C. Flood, J. Horton, D. Clark, L. Sullivan

Tasmanian State League - Round 6:
Clarence 4.4 (28) - North Launceston 2.1 (13) at Quarter Time.

Reserves
Clarence 22.11 (143) - North Launceston 6.5 (41)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve the drummer

I have heard a strong romour that the drummer man known as Steve ???? was not allowed into the TCA with his drum for the season opener v Glenorchy.

I have been told that a club official said "You are welcomed by all back to the club mate, but the drum is a thing of the past".

Can someone from Hobart please confirm or deny the clubs position on this.

Steve brings alot of colour to games and should be allowed back.

Its a public place for god sake.

My TSL tipping is in a shambles, At Least in the SFL I can rely on Norfick;). Its been a good start to the season now SL have got up. Whats happened to L'ton? That would be Lauderdales greatest win in their history:thumbsu: The G v B 2 pointer at KGV was a beuty given the conditions. I think Plapp's knees must creak by now! The ABC have picked some good games to televise so far. Great turn around by NL in just 1 week:thumbsu: Is it time to swab D'port;) All that TSL bosses have to do now is fix up the crap program. how about some more player profiles? some footy history?facts & figures? just some value for $:(3. Otherwise a good start to SWL2:)

Re: Steve the drummer

I have heard a strong romour that the drummer man known as Steve ???? was not allowed into the TCA with his drum for the season opener v Glenorchy.

I have been told that a club official said "You are welcomed by all back to the club mate, but the drum is a thing of the past".

Can someone from Hobart please confirm or deny the clubs position on this.

Steve brings alot of colour to games and should be allowed back.

Its a public place for god sake.

Sadly, yes.
There was quite a lot of talk about it after the match on April 10th.
Steve "Jungle" Denehey (a supporter of the club from 1972-2000 mind you) has rocked up to the ground with his drum and been told by some over-zealous w***er on the gate that he was allowed in but not the drum :thumbsdown:
Jungle walked out on them back in 2000 after the way he was treated by the club and I think probably the biggest cardinal sin he made was going to support Kingston the very next week against Hobart.
He gave the Hobart players an absolute gobful, from where I was standing, I heard most of it.
He was spat on by two Hobart reserves players later that season in the finals at Pontville (Troy Cox was one of them) and he's been at Kingston ever since.

Sad situation all round really.
Having said that, Hobart's not in any position to pick & choose who they want/don't want supporting them - it's part of the reason why the Lions was able to flourish (and decimate the club) as long as it did.

I doubt Denehey will ever follow Hobart again.

madmug said:
My TSL tipping is in a shambles,
I think everyones is. ;)
That's been a pretty pleasing aspect of the comp so far in that most matches aren't a cut and dried dead cert.

madmug said:
At Least in the SFL I can rely on Norfick;).
Isn't that a joke though?
50+ years in the TFL, a good following and they've been downgraded to flogging the s**t out of poor standard country teams every week.
Dunno how many times they've booted 40 goals this season and or kicked 200, mostly every week wouldn't it? 400+%.
They're wasting their time.

madmug said:
Its been a good start to the season now SL have got up. Whats happened to L'ton? That would be Lauderdales greatest win in their history:thumbsu:
South have been good away, just hadn't pinched the four points until Saturday.
North Hobart are a pretty average football side from what I saw at the TCA a couple of weeks ago, so that result wasn't a massive shock.
Launceston is crippled by injuries. No Derbyshire in that match apparently, nor that big ruckman Miar.
They're in trouble right now, but if they can keep in touch with the 6, get all these players back in time to run into a bit of form they'll still be a threat come September - they wouldn't want to lose to many more through injury though.
Lauderdale's biggest win in their history was the '91 Premiership in the Southern Amateurs mate - their ONLY flag in 61 years :thumbsu:

madmug said:
The G v B 2 pointer at KGV was a beuty given the conditions. I think Plapp's knees must creak by now! The ABC have picked some good games to televise so far.
Terrific game that one given the quagmire conditions.
Both sides threw themselves at each other in those final minutes, it was good footy to watch.
He's still a very good footballer Plapp, even with crook knees he's still taking grabs all over the place. His return of 1.4 on the weekend wasn't up to his usual standard but he was still effective.

madmug said:
Great turn around by NL in just 1 week. Is it time to swab D'port
Top win by the Robi.. err Bombers up there after last week.
Clarence have the kicking yips something shocking too, and they're no guarantee of making it very far either this year.
Devo were pretty impressive the other night according to my sources, only the really windy conditions keeping the scores down.
Makes a complete brass out of this pre-season prediction of how rubbish they were supposed to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back