sportstalk07

All Australian
Jul 10, 2007
Around Tasmania
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Northern Tassie
ANZAC DAY: North L'ton v South L'ton at Aurora Stadium 1:30; Glenorchy v North Hobart at KGV 2:00; Lauderdale v Hobart at Lauderdale 2:00
Sunday: Burnie v Clarence at West Park 1:00; Launceston v Devonport at Windsor Park 2:00

Firstly North Launceston host South Launceston in an AFL Curtain Raiser which is now a must win game for the Bombers, certainly a lot of us expected the Bombers to deliver the goods but Devonport struck the line through them with ease in the end. South suffered a similar fate and they will certainly be wanting to break the ice for season 2009, otherwise 0-3 is hard to come back from.
I'm thinking a big upset is on the cards and South could well defeat the Bombers here and if so North will be looking very stagnate in the bottom half of the ladder. If the Dogs can repeat the dose as they did at Youngtown in the final term for four quarters and not one, there is every chance of that being a reality.

Glenorchy and North Hobart at KGV always promises to be a good close contest and this edition is expected to be the same, especially with the home side needing to get back onto the winners list. North Hobart survived a tough final term against the Bombers which will certainly hold the Demons in good stead if things repeat here. The Magpies simply went the opposite way in their final quarter to fall by 35 points and Ben Reid will need his charges at the ready, otherwise the Demons will dine out handsomely.

Lauderdale host Hobart and their first home game crowdwise and gate wise was encouraging from all reports. With another home game this week against a Hobart side that improved last round will make this game a toughish one to call.
However, Lauderdale are reasonably well prepared this season and should have the skills to run this game out.

On Sunday, two old foes resume hostilities at West Park with Burnie and Clarence coming off last round wins. Clarence certainly showed they were back in business with a commanding 10 goal final term against the Magpies and Burnie blasted 9 and 8 goals in the first and third term on South Launceston. It might not be as high scoring as above but Burnie at home are about 3-4 goals better than their opponents, especially with the wind at their backs. That appears to be the final margin at this stage in favour of the Dockers, but if Clarence repeat the dose from their final quarter last start, look out!

And the last match sees what could be an under strength Launceston against a confidence brimmed Devonport at Windsor Park. Launceston could be without their main man at full forward Adam Derbyshire who has a "suspected" dislocation of the AC joint and if that proves to be true then Launceston will need to rejig their options. Certainly Brian Finch is a wildcard up forward but all can't rest on his shoulders.
Devonport had Phillip Crowden and Vin Ponsonby stand up to KO the Bombers last week and if they along with Kurt Hazelwood, Chris McDonald, Trent McCrossen and company produce a similar performance here, then Launceston could be looking a tad punchdrunk in the middle of the table.

So my tips after all that are...
North Laun by 7, North Hobart by 18, Lauderdale by 36, Burnie by 10, Launceston by 3

ONE of the most bitter rivalries in Tasmanian football will be revived at West Park on Sunday when Burnie meets Clarence in round three of the Wrest Point Tasmanian State League.
The rivalry stems back to the days of the former Statewide League when the two teams clashed in successive grand finals in 1996 and 1997 and included several violent incidents between Roos and Burnie players.

It won't take much to re-ignite the dislike of each other's team - because it never went away, according to opposing coaches.

"I still hate the bastards," Burnie playing coach Justin Plapp said.

Plapp was a 17-year-old full- forward at the height of the hate- hate relationship and has never forgotten it.

The physical and violent clashes between perennial hard-men Dale Whish- Wilson (Burnie) and Darren Winter (Clarence) were legendary.

Burnie ruck Brad Davis had his jaw broken by Winter in the 1997 Statewide grand final. Winter later claimed he was concussed from an earlier incident and wasn't responsible for his actions.

"It was a genuine hatred between the two clubs and I still hate them," Plapp said.

Apart from Plapp and Davis, fellow Dockers Clint Stretton, Matthew Wooldridge and Clinton Brown also played in the old Statewide League.

"We've all spoken about it this week and we all feel the same and our hatred of Clarence has been a big focus in the build-up as we try to explain to some of the younger blokes in our side what it was all about," Plapp said.

"The Burnie-Devonport Coastal thing has nothing on how we feel about Clarence," he said.

Plapp said although the previous encounters were usually violent, he wasn't advocating a return to the same style of thuggery.

"The game's changed a bit since then and we will be taking out our aggression on the ball and the man with it," he said.

Clarence coach Brett Geappen played Statewide football in 1999 and 2000 against Burnie and is the only current Roo from the previous competition, but he still has a strong dislike of the Coastal club.

"The feeling was still there in 1999 and 2000 - in fact, I still hate Burnie too," Geappen said.

"I've tried to tell my younger players the well- known rivalry we have had down here for years with Glenorchy, is nothing compared to how much we hated Burnie."

"We don't expect to be made welcome by Burnie supporters either."

Geappen has taken this Sunday's encounter so seriously his team, which includes seven or eight ex- Tassie Devils players, will travel on Saturday and will have a run on West Park ahead of the Sunday game.
"I still hate the bastards" Love that quote. I hope the new blood coming in keep the hate alive. One of my greatest TFL moments was watching Wish and Winter toe to toe on the bike track at West Park score board end.. Oh the memories!!

Bustling Barry said:
"I still hate the bastards" Love that quote. I hope the new blood coming in keep the hate alive. One of my greatest TFL moments was watching Wish and Winter toe to toe on the bike track at West Park score board end.. Oh the memories!!
They certainly would've been the two most disliked TFL clubs at the time from my recollections, yeah, the old North Launceston Robins weren't all that far behind either.

Clarence - well everyone hated them because they were arrogant (and a bloody good team mind you), but Burnie Dockers were pretty much in the same boat (but hadn't done anything).
I still think it wasn't so much the players that brought on that sort of ill-feeling, moreso it was that bigmouth president they had at the time, that Terry Lamprey.
Quite often he'd been in the papers, on the radio or on the box sprouting off about how much better his club was than everyone elses, and quite often made himself a target of vitriolic abuse from Southern club fans by showing complete disrespect to those clubs.
I remember his comments on Sandy Bay the week before they played the Seagulls in a night match at West Park which so enraged one Bay reserves player so much that he sought out and decked Lamprey during the senior game!
Then there were the comments that were made about Hobart where he stated that he "wished that they would piss off out of the TFL and fold, because he was sick of his team having to travel 350kms to win by 150-points against a rubbish team".
I can tell ya that certainly never went down all that well at the TCA ;)

Burnie's U/19's are playing Hobart's U/19's in a final at North Hobart - Elimination Final I think it was in 1997, and Hobart races home to win the game by a few points.
There must've been near 2,500 to 3,000 already at the ground just to watch that game because every Hobart fan in unison absolutely gave it to Burnie and reserved some of the most vitriolic abuse I've ever heard at a football match for Lamprey, the sort that'd make a wharfie blush.

I still reckon those two Grand Finals (1996 & 1997) were probably the only two finals in the Statewide League where the neutrals were all barracking for the Roos, because everyone had a big laugh when the Dockers lost both grand finals - s**t, even I went for Clarence in both and that's saying something.
Wasn't long after that that the Dockers went bust and had to be bailed out by the Council up there to stay alive.

Having said all that, it's the hatred what'll build the game up down here again - you absolutely have to have your 'heroes and villians' - great for footy :thumbsu:

Looks like today is going to be a very soggy affair, rain still pissing down outside which is a shame 'cos today might've brought in a few punters.

Looks like poor ol' Hobart are doing it tough for numbers again.
They've had to forfeit the Under 19's against Lauderdale specifically because the match was fixtured for 5:30pm last night and they couldn't get enough to fill the team.
They weren't able to play the match today prior to 12 noon and both the TCA and Lauderdale grounds were already booked for junior football.
Apparently up to nine under-19's have had to come up to the Reserves to fill in numbers because the Ressies are struggling for numbers as well.
It's a big concern.

I think what you said Duff might have a certain amount of truth to it.

Scores from today's matches.

Hobart 9.8 (62) - Lauderdale 7.15 (57)
Glenorchy 13.25 (103) - North Hobart 8.9 (57)
North Launceston 10.15 (75) - South Launceston 8.12 (60)

A very wet day across the State, especially in Hobart.
Hobart hanging on for dear life in a thriller at Lauderdale to win by 5-points which breaks a 24-match losing streak in TFL/TSL football for the Tigers.
Glenorchy way too strong for North Hobart and North Launceston hanging on to win by 15-points over a dogged Bulldog outfit in the AFL curtain-raiser at Aurora Stadium.

I hope it was a happier day for you than your scoreboard run-in last week.
Only South have failed to register a win now, and they don't look far off. We haven't seen the same sorts of regular thrashings, yet, that occurred in the former statewide league. Hopefully that will remain the case; the occasional big result is unavoidable, its when they get too preicdtable and too regular there is a problem.
The reserves and under-age situation might need to be looked at for 2010 though. (That's not a Hobart comment, but also refers to the northern clubs who pulled out of the aged comp.)

Scores from today's matches.

Hobart 9.8 (62) - Lauderdale 7.15 (57)
Glenorchy 13.25 (103) - North Hobart 8.9 (57)
North Launceston 10.15 (75) - South Launceston 8.12 (60)

A very wet day across the State, especially in Hobart.
Hobart hanging on for dear life in a thriller at Lauderdale to win by 5-points which breaks a 24-match losing streak in TFL/TSL football for the Tigers.
Glenorchy way too strong for North Hobart and North Launceston hanging on to win by 15-points over a dogged Bulldog outfit in the AFL curtain-raiser at Aurora Stadium.
And in today's matches, at West Park the Burnie Dockers were too strong for Clarence registering a comfortable 47-point win while at Windsor Park, Devonport made it back-to-back victories with a 21-point win over Launceston.

Burnie 16.18 (114) - Clarence 9.13 (67)
Devonport 10.19 (79) - Launceston 9.4 (58)

What a great round, great effort Devonport!, Glenorchy won a great wet weather match against North hobart with a crushing last quarter. Still crap kicking at goal. Sad to see Clarence lose it!:D, & a good win to Tigers at the leagues worst venue. Beut sunny day yesterday saw Glenorchy belt Norths u/19 who are not a patch on their last years state premiership team, where are all those good kids?

Only South have failed to register a win now, and they don't look far off. We haven't seen the same sorts of regular thrashings, yet, that occurred in the former statewide league. Hopefully that will remain the case; the occasional big result is unavoidable, its when they get too preicdtable and too regular there is a problem.
The reserves and under-age situation might need to be looked at for 2010 though. (That's not a Hobart comment, but also refers to the northern clubs who pulled out of the aged comp.)

Yes, much more enjoyable day!
Really started to feel a bit like the 'old' style Tiger crowd there really getting it.
Was great to watch :thumbsu:
Hard, uncompromising game too played in poor conditions, seriously, the Council's gotta spend some coin on that ground down there, it's just not up to par at all for a State league.
I see they still had the shipping container and indoor cricket-style scoreboard on Saturday, the new structure beside it was two-thirds built - not a bad little vantage point for all the people sitting inside it keeping out of the rain mind you.
I see we're now rostered to play at Richmond on Sunday against the Roos which has totally fudged up my plans for Saturday.

Yes, What if we sent Lauderdale to share Bellerive & Tigers to share at North Hobart Oval, Ha!, Just imagine having the public in some comfort, WoW what a concept, looking after the punters for a change 7 not just expecting coucil to Stump up $millions to keep a few people happy :D, eve Launceston or South should share Pork barrel park. the TSL should play on the best venues

Agree, I was at Windsor Park yesterday in the woeful weather.
Anyone that thinks Lauderdale is bad needs to head to Windsor Park. There were 2 open top grandstands and the only undercover seating was in front of the clubhouse which would have seated for about 100 (no more) :eek:
Devonport only put 16 on the park against Launceston in the Reserves. Got beaten by about 90 points.

Devonport in the seniors did the basics a lot better than Launceston, tackled and kicked and played wet weather footy a lot better then Launceston did. Devonport could have won in the first 10-15 minutes but kicked 1.6
Devonport in the third term kicked 4.8 but went for a number of banana kicks in the wet???
Anyway, 29 scoring shots to 13 will always get you a win and they deserved it. Crowd there not too bad (about 650) in the woeful conditions.

Yes, What if we sent Lauderdale to share Bellerive & Tigers to share at North Hobart Oval, Ha!, Just imagine having the public in some comfort, WoW what a concept, looking after the punters for a change 7 not just expecting coucil to Stump up $millions to keep a few people happy :D, eve Launceston or South should share Pork barrel park. the TSL should play on the best venues

Interesting reading on the topic via this thread
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462550&page=3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somehow Windsor Park got 3 million for a "Health and Wellbeing centre" which may channel some funds into ground improvements. And after Kingboroughs 4 million dollar ground improvements grant there will probaby be a push for more games out there with Wade even saying that it will be able to host NAB cup games!

Reckon Lauderdale are shot this year. Should have won their last 2 games. Now they are 1 and 2. Looking at their next 4 games, they will struggle to get a win. Devonport up there on Saturday night night. Then Glenorchy at home, Launceston up there, then Clarence. IMO, that will make them 1 and 6 and no chance of making the finals.
I reckon they are mentally weak. Could be some in house finger pointing if things dont turn around soon.

I see Plapp & Geappen found not guilty after weekend dance at West park. With Baker getting off the biting charge last week it seems that only no name players will be suspended if reported this season. Either that or the Tribunal think that umpires are liars. What other conclusion could one draw?( noted a nice little right jab from Geappen on TV sports news after the game;)

Reckon Lauderdale are shot this year. Should have won their last 2 games. Now they are 1 and 2. Looking at their next 4 games, they will struggle to get a win. Devonport up there on Saturday night night. Then Glenorchy at home, Launceston up there, then Clarence. IMO, that will make them 1 and 6 and no chance of making the finals.
I reckon they are mentally weak. Could be some in house finger pointing if things dont turn around soon.

Yes we should have won both games, but thats football. We will learn from this and hopefully snag one this weekend!
Are these comments coming from a ex assistant coach from lauderdale that wasnt invited to help out this year? as the club wanted to move in another direction?

Yes we should have won both games, but thats football. We will learn from this and hopefully snag one this weekend!
Are these comments coming from a ex assistant coach from lauderdale that wasnt invited to help out this year? as the club wanted to move in another direction?

Not at all hevey. My football ability didnt get me much past colts. Just keep an ear to the ground. In the footy circles around Hobart, it's not hard to hear and see these things. You'd be amazed at what you can find out in different places from different people that are and aren't involved at Lauderdale.

Thanks AFL Tasmania for informing me that the Clarence v Hobart game has changed venue & date.

Professionalism to the max.

Watched Launnie and Dev on weekend... Sharman really added something to a side already with a great midfeild.. his skill level and fitness is a plessure to watch.. adds good depth the there side =)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back