Running/Fitness Sprinting

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we get this thread going again? I'm really interested in what you guys were saying.

I'm pretty new to specific speed work, and am looking to improve a 2.4k and 3.2k time trial, as well as looking to build burst speed for more midfield time.

I currently do a mix of sprint work (4x400, 4x200, 6x100m) and longer distance running, as well as an extensive gym program incorporating more dynamic exercises such as hang cleans and deadlifts.

In more simple terms, what exercises or running sessions would you look to include?

1 - Both time trials are too long and AFL clubs don't really go over 2kms anymore as it's "too slow"

2 - Speed work is 5secs of work then lots of rest...I bet you're having incomplete rest between those 100 - 400m runs which won't build any speed anyway...400m needs 10 - 20mins for full recovery, 200m 5 - 10mins and 100 x 5mins minimum

3 - It's not your fault (everyone does it because "they always have") but your training at game speed where the real secret lies in training below and above game speeds

4 - BELOW refers to low intensity long duration running staying at or just below your anaerobic threshold that will enable you to get a lot of volume in without much fatigue, wear and tear

5 - ABOVE refers to mechanical speed (as opposed to operational/game speed) which is true sprint/speed training at 100% for that day

6 - From the above you could do ABOVE/BELOW 2 days in a row then an upper gym day and repeat...to fit lower gym work in you'd go to the gym after the BELOW training...so now you're looking at 4 running days min/week = greater volume (and a far greater quality of volume) vs those fatigue inducing 400's you might do 2/week increasing systemic fatigue and injury risk over time if you just keep doing them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back