News Six Dead In Bondi Massacre

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Six people are dead following a crazed attack by a knife wielding madman in Bondi Junction Shopping Centre. Five people died at the scene and one has since died. As many as eight people are injured and in hospital.

One of those in hospital is a nine month old baby. The Baby's mother died in the attack.

The madman was shot and killed by a Police Inspector who was on her own.

I guess everything, including the footy, pales to insignificance in light of this terrible event.

Last edited:
Had my old man call me already complaining about multiculturalism. Like dude, the bodies aren't even cold yet, give it a rest.

Six people are dead following a crazed attack by a knife wielding madman in Bondi Junction Shopping Centre. Five people died at the scene and one has since died. As many as eight people are injured and in hospital.

One of those in hospital is a nine month old baby. The Baby's mother died in the attack.

The madman was shot and killed by a Police Inspector who was on her own.

I guess everything, including the footy, pales to insignificance in light of this terrible event.
Brave police officer.

Multiculturalism, what, Queenslanders?

Heard about this after the game, what a horror show. Monstrous behaviour, with untold heroism from people trying to and finally ending the shocking attack. Sounds like the lone police officer showed extraordinary courage.

Governments keep turning a blind eye to mental health issues in the community and people suffer.

Absolutely dreadful situation, how anyone can stab a 9 month old baby is beyond comprehension, and the P O S apparently stabbed her more than once.

Hopefully she will survive, have plenty of family support, no long lasting health issues, and be able to lead a full life, but further down the track the mental anguish of losing her mum in such a horrific way could unfortunately be her biggest hurdle.

Yes they jump on that bandwagon before knowing any facts, sigh.
At least Dutton kept his trap shut.
His tune has changed this morning. Now harping on about homelessness and work ethic. Zero contrition about the comments last night lol.

Heard about this after the game, what a horror show. Monstrous behaviour, with untold heroism from people trying to and finally ending the shocking attack. Sounds like the lone police officer showed extraordinary courage.

Governments keep turning a blind eye to mental health issues in the community and people suffer.

Yes early reports are that this guy came to Sydney from Queensland several weeks back. He had diagnosed mental health issues and was known to police.

It is a familiar story, people with mental health issues are diagnosed, given medication and allowed to live in the community. They stop taking the medication, regress and bingo we have a walking time bomb out in the community. This is not the first such instance as last year in Adelaide a worker in a real estate agency was killed at work by a person with mental health issues. In years gone by these people would have been diagnosed and kept in confinement. For better or for worse the system has changed and as a result there is risk to us all.

The pollies are all over TV expressing sympathy but they would be better placed fixing a system that is broken.

Last edited:

Mental health is obviously a significant problem and how to treat it is an extremely difficult and sensitive issue. In years gone by there were several mental institutions in SA and often police assistance was required to return people who were on weekend leave and refused to go back and I could understand why - not always pleasant. To have a person committed to an institution requires not only stringent medical diagnosis but there are also legal requirements. People can go voluntarily but usually only for a short period.

Now many people are in the public and private system and remain living within the community in a variety of homes. Most, if not all are on medication and function quite well but nobody can force/compel them to take their medication and therein lies a significant problem. How can taking medication be enforced and or monitored.

Throwing money at the problem won't help in many areas. Do governments go back to more and bigger institutions but people cannot be there forever?

More should be done but exactly what?

It's a serious problem for society.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mental health is obviously a significant problem and how to treat it is an extremely difficult and sensitive issue. In years gone by there were several mental institutions in SA and often police assistance was required to return people who were on weekend leave and refused to go back and I could understand why - not always pleasant. To have a person committed to an institution requires not only stringent medical diagnosis but there are also legal requirements. People can go voluntarily but usually only for a short period.

Now many people are in the public and private system and remain living within the community in a variety of homes. Most, if not all are on medication and function quite well but nobody can force/compel them to take their medication and therein lies a significant problem. How can taking medication be enforced and or monitored.

Throwing money at the problem won't help in many areas. Do governments go back to more and bigger institutions but people cannot be there forever?

More should be done but exactly what?

It's a serious problem for society.
I lived in a block of units on Semaphore road for a few months in the mid 90's which was directly across the road from the pub, and a couple of the fast food shops.

I don't know if they still exist but apparently there were a couple of halfway houses ( for want of a better description) in the streets nearby for people with mental issues, and as you suggest `how can taking medication be enforced and or monitored' in those situations.

One well dressed bloke ( always a suit and tie) would hover around the rubbish bins and take food from those bins others had discarded and eat it, and another little bloke probably mid 60's at the time would sit on the footpath for hours 7 days a week outside the supermarket on the corner with his transistor radio playing and continually said `how you going mate?' to anyone who walked by.

Those two blokes appeared to be harmless and therefore no danger to the general community, but from memory there was at least one violent episode reported in the media about an altercation in one of those houses that may have resulted in the death of one of the occupants.

As you suggest many of them would have been institutionalised at somewhere like Glenside 20 years or so earlier, whether their quality of life had been improved much from those days is unfortunately debatable, but it had to be better than locking people away for decades and forgetting they existed.

Such a terrible thing to happen.

I was shocked when I got home from the the footy and turned on ABC News as I had been at the athletics then went ro the footy and hadnt listened to the news.

Bondi Junction Westfield Shopping Centre was my local shopping centre the last 5 years I lived in Sydney, down the road at Bronte.

Its huge, two large buildings connectwd by an enclosed walkway over Oxford Street where you can buy almost anything there as there are so many individual shops as well as all the large retail stores.

So many people are there at any one time, we were lucky that not a hell of a lot more people were injured or killed. IiRC level 4 where some attacks happened is the level that has the walkway joining the 2 buildings.

I thought security guards there wore guns but my brain might be playing tricks on me as all the banks were there and ATMs so Im probably remembering the Armaguard security guards and not Westfield guards.

Guards will now probably get approval to be armed after such an horrific attack. They probaly wont get guns but they will have to get more that just a torch and radio.

The cop shop when I lived there was about 500m away along Bronte Road.

Last edited:
And now this Bishop. Gotta say Sydney has poor matchmaking in knife warfare.

One of my cousins has schizophrenia and the difference between medicated and unmedicated is unbelievably stark.

One day he's talking calmly and rationally about how he's got a new job and doing well, next minute someone's been called around to his house to find his entire lounge room has been painted with incoherent ramblings and he's in deep conversation with a cardboard cut out of a famous celebrity. It's heart breaking because there's nothing anyone can do to help and no one wants to get too close for fear of becoming a target when he's in a fugue.

I don't know what the answer is, and the old style 'institutions' are certainly not a solution, but we need to find a way that's not just a pat on the bum and a script for antipsychotics before sending them out into the world.

Terribly sad about the victims at Bondi, but I also have some sympathy for the perpetrator. It's such an awful affliction to be burdened with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back