Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

See ya fifita. Not worth the grass you tainted at your time at Robina. Time to get half
So what happens now? Is he immediately released or does he see out the rest of the season with the Titans? I can't imagine the fans or teammates will be too kind to Fifita if he does see out the year on the GC...

The figures being thrown around are $1 million a year to stay at the Titans until 2026, $850k a year to sign with the Panthers for multiple years and $750-800k a year to sign with the Roosters until 2028. Both Sydney clubs are currently inside the top 6 and Penrith are of course the three-time defending premiers while Sydney have been regular participants in the finals over the last decade with two premierships won along the way in 2018-19. Meanwhile, the Titans were expected to play finals this year and are languishing in 16th position on the ladder with just a single win in eight starts.

Not even a high profile coach in Hasler joining the club this year has convinced Fifita to stay. This just once again shows what we already know and that is the best way to retain/attract players is to win regularly. Fifita is literally foregoing hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to a club that will likely be genuinely competing for a premiership and that says everything you need to know about player priorities. I think questions should definitely be asked of the Titans management as to why they added in a clause like this when Fifita re-signed with them midway through 2023. I understand it's more attractive to the player to have a clause like this included in their contract, but it also opens the door for an emabarrassing outcomes like this.

Win and they will come/stay. That applies to both Gold Coast clubs. Continuing losing and you suffer the consequences.

So what happens now? Is he immediately released or does he see out the rest of the season with the Titans? I can't imagine the fans or teammates will be too kind to Fifita if he does see out the year on the GC...

The figures being thrown around are $1 million a year to stay at the Titans until 2026, $850k a year to sign with the Panthers for multiple years and $750-800k a year to sign with the Roosters until 2028. Both Sydney clubs are currently inside the top 6 and Penrith are of course the three-time defending premiers while Sydney have been regular participants in the finals over the last decade with two premierships won along the way in 2018-19. Meanwhile, the Titans were expected to play finals this year and are languishing in 16th position on the ladder with just a single win in eight starts.

Not even a high profile coach in Hasler joining the club this year has convinced Fifita to stay. This just once again shows what we already know and that is the best way to retain/attract players is to win regularly. Fifita is literally foregoing hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to a club that will likely be genuinely competing for a premiership and that says everything you need to know about player priorities. I think questions should definitely be asked of the Titans management as to why they added in a clause like this when Fifita re-signed with them midway through 2023. I understand it's more attractive to the player to have a clause like this included in their contract, but it also opens the door for an emabarrassing outcomes like this.

Win and they will come/stay. That applies to both Gold Coast clubs. Continuing losing and you suffer the consequences.

Probably plays the rest of the year out here… Hopefully all his games are for ipswich. I actually don’t think the player retention/attraction issues are as bad at the titans as they are at the suns, Fifita is just a bag chaser and has always been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably plays the rest of the year out here… Hopefully all his games are for ipswich. I actually don’t think the player retention/attraction issues are as bad at the titans as they are at the suns, Fifita is just a bag chaser and has always been.
Just confirmed that he will see out the season at the Titans (before heading to the Roosters) and he is going to line up for them this Sunday against the Cowboys at Robina. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets booed during the game after the way this has all played out. The fact that he's heading to the Roosters just makes this look even worse considering they came to the party late a few days ago.

You're probably right in terms of player retention of the two clubs - mainly because Queensland has less issues producing high level rugby league players than it does with producing high level Australian rules footballers. Much easier to convince a player from Brisbane to stay on the Gold Coast than it is to convince a player from Melbourne to stay here. Although that does seem to be shifting a bit with the recent success of our academy and that's going to make the Suns less reliant on interstate players (who are potential flight risks) going forward.

The attention now appears to be turning to big Tino as he also has a similar contract clause that can trigger an early release. Losing Tino would be an absolute disaster after everything that's happened this year so they better get a move on bringing in some help for Tino. Coach Des was asked today if he had any players in mind for his newly created salary cap space and he didn't say much but apparently Jahrome Hughes has said he's not interested so that's one half they can rule out.

Just confirmed that he will see out the season at the Titans (before heading to the Roosters) and he is going to line up for them this Sunday against the Cowboys at Robina. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets booed during the game after the way this has all played out. The fact that he's heading to the Roosters just makes this look even worse considering they came to the party late a few days ago.

You're probably right in terms of player retention of the two clubs - mainly because Queensland has less issues producing high level rugby league players than it does with producing high level Australian rules footballers. Much easier to convince a player from Brisbane to stay on the Gold Coast than it is to convince a player from Melbourne to stay here. Although that does seem to be shifting a bit with the recent success of our academy and that's going to make the Suns less reliant on interstate players (who are potential flight risks) going forward.

The attention now appears to be turning to big Tino as he also has a similar contract clause that can trigger an early release. Losing Tino would be an absolute disaster after everything that's happened this year so they better get a move on bringing in some help for Tino. Coach Des was asked today if he had any players in mind for his newly created salary cap space and he didn't say much but apparently Jahrome Hughes has said he's not interested so that's one half they can rule out.

Speaking of Des, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a big reason in Fifita leaving. Not saying he’s a bad coach (in fact he’s better than holbrook was) But i’m guessing Tino and Dave got pampered a bit by holbrook, which would also explain why they both probably asked to add that holbrook clause to the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back