Should teams be able to nominate more than one sub?

Should teams be able to nominate more than one sub?

• YES

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • NO

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
With Oscar McInerney going down last night, I got to thinking about something that I have thought of a bit before - why do we nominate only one sub?

Interestingly, Brisbane have used Fort as their sub in the past - an interesting choice given he is a ruckman. Normally you'd want a mid or utility as your sub, but in the case of last night, they would have loved to have had Fort available.

So why can't we nominate more than one sub - we pick three emergencies after all.

It would make sense to be able to select at least three subs - one Ruck, one KPP, one on-baller for example. You could still only use one of them, but at least you would be covered for a broader range of injuries (remembering this is the primary purpose of the sub)

The main drawback is scheduling with VFL (or equivalent) games and possibly having even more players "missing footy" on a given weekend.

But is there any other good reason? Other sports tend to not have this limitation. Just seems bizarre to limit your choice to one. And surely, come Prelim and Grand Final time, it would be fairer to be able to name an extended sub list.

Thoughts?

Not until there is an AFL reserves league - otherwise availability would depends on a semi-pro state league fixture and differ for each team.

That said, the sub seems pointless to me. I’d rather see it scraped altogether.

I think two subs would be okay. Both can be used if a player sustains a game ending injury before half time, otherwise only one of the two is used. Unused/emergency sub can play in the reserves if it's later in the weekend, or one or both can play in the reserves if the state league game comes first on the weekend (presumably they'd only play a quarter or something and you'd only consider it with the player you've earmarked as the emergency sub).

You'd still get emergencies missing a game on a given weekend when the seniors and reserves are playing in different states, but not much you can do about that.

Really, under the current rules though, I think Geelong's system and selections were much better than Brisbane's and the Lions should wear that. Stewart and McInernay being subbed out at the same time should not have resulted in a net win to the Cats, but that's unquestionably how it panned out, because Geelong's system held up and Brisbane's fell apart like a soggy taco.

Back