Not open for further replies.

blues12

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am far from a big fan of the current card system,
The discretion of any offence is put to an umpire.
In the seniors a player can only be sent from the field if reported. If an umpire believes that he saw an incident and decides to order somebody off, that player leaves the field he cant be return or be replaced for 15 minutes. If the umpire deems it to be major, a red is given still 15 minutes that player is not to return. Player reported. In the instance it is red and early.
He fronts the tribunal and is cleared for the incident, His team was to lose by 1 point. Is this fair? His club had to play for 15 minutes with 17 men, and he cant return to the field despite being innocent. he has already got 1 week.
I believe in the senior level a player should be replacable. If this were to happen in a final, what would the end result be?
This year the tribunal set max penalties, Is there anything in place to say what incidents are worthy of a red card.
This is not to slag off, but mearly to bring ideas on how the system can work better and fairer.
Different leagues do it different ways.

The biggest game in the world, Blues12, is Soccer.

What happens in the biggest game of all, The World Cup Final a ref red cards a player and it turns out to be wrong?

We live and die by the umpires decision.

The biggest game in the world, Blues12, is Soccer.

What happens in the biggest game of all, The World Cup Final a ref red cards a player and it turns out to be wrong?

We live and die by the umpires decision.

riddell umpires tend to send blokes off at the drop of a hat. if its reporting for abuse, then report the bloke but surely theres no need to send him off...passionate blokes are always going to find it hard to keep there mouth shuts when they're frustrated, theres other more sensible ways to pnish a bloke without sending them off, unless its excessive of course..

I dont disagree with the Red and Yellow system, I disagree with the fact that a yellow card is an automatic report. The issue now, with the 16 week rule in place as well as Clown Court is that players have their entire footballing career's put at risk from something that would quite possibly be a 1 or 2 week suspension by receiving 6 to 8 weeks for it.. All that could have been solved with a simple 50 metre penalty and a 15 minute send off.
Currently the system stands that, like Saturday, a player received 3 matches, include the match that he was suspended in is 4 matches, a 50 metre penalty against him, a side that is left one short for the entire game. Lets just see the penalty fit the crime.

The worst cases are the "Thats bullshit umpire" cases we see every weekend. A 50 metre penalty, a yellow card (15 mins out of the game) then a report that holds a set penalty of 1 week.. Does this penalty fit the crime?

Currently the system stands that, like Saturday, a player received 3 matches, include the match that he was suspended in is 4 matches, a 50 metre penalty against him, a side that is left one short for the entire game. Lets just see the penalty fit the crime.
--------------------------------------------------

Get your facts right, your not a player short for the rest of the game, your only a player short for 15 minutes. The Ballarat League you play a man short for the rest of the match if its a Red Card.

--------------------------------------------------

Get your facts right, your not a player short for the rest of the game, your only a player short for 15 minutes. The Ballarat League you play a man short for the rest of the match if its a Red Card.

Slow down shorty... You have 22 players on the list.. Less one for a red card, then you have 21.. One player short for the entire game...

I am far from a big fan of the current card system,
The discretion of any offence is put to an umpire.
In the seniors a player can only be sent from the field if reported. If an umpire believes that he saw an incident and decides to order somebody off, that player leaves the field he cant be return or be replaced for 15 minutes. If the umpire deems it to be major, a red is given still 15 minutes that player is not to return. Player reported. In the instance it is red and early.
He fronts the tribunal and is cleared for the incident, His team was to lose by 1 point. Is this fair? His club had to play for 15 minutes with 17 men, and he cant return to the field despite being innocent. he has already got 1 week.
I believe in the senior level a player should be replacable. If this were to happen in a final, what would the end result be?
This year the tribunal set max penalties, Is there anything in place to say what incidents are worthy of a red card.
This is not to slag off, but mearly to bring ideas on how the system can work better and fairer.
Different leagues do it different ways.

Red Card means that you are off for the rest of the game
Yellow card means that you get sent off for a certain time.
If you have been caught out doing something against the rules and have been given a red or yellow card then change the way how you play the game.

I dont disagree with the Red and Yellow system, I disagree with the fact that a yellow card is an automatic report. The issue now, with the 16 week rule in place as well as Clown Court is that players have their entire footballing career's put at risk from something that would quite possibly be a 1 or 2 week suspension by receiving 6 to 8 weeks for it.. All that could have been solved with a simple 50 metre penalty and a 15 minute send off.

The worst cases are the "Thats bullshit umpire" cases we see every weekend. A 50 metre penalty, a yellow card (15 mins out of the game) then a report that holds a set penalty of 1 week.. Does this penalty fit the crime?
Shouldn't be a report if it is for swearing if it is just "that's bullshit umpire". If it is something a little worse say the player drops the f bomb in that or says the c word then it is a report. Normally it is just a 50m penalty and a yellow card. Yellow card offences aren't all reportable offences.

Shouldn't be a report if it is for swearing if it is just "that's bullshit umpire". If it is something a little worse say the player drops the f bomb in that or says the c word then it is a report. Normally it is just a 50m penalty and a yellow card. Yellow card offences aren't all reportable offences.

In the RDFL, in the reserve and U18 comp the yellow card is used more as a cool down. If any player is Yellow carded in the Seniors It is an automatic report.
I think it was done this way in the past so that players were not sent for small crap, unfortunately some umpires forget that it is not a cool down in the seniors and once they send them, they must report them.

In the RDFL, in the reserve and U18 comp the yellow card is used more as a cool down. If any player is Yellow carded in the Seniors It is an automatic report.
I think it was done this way in the past so that players were not sent for small crap, unfortunately some umpires forget that it is not a cool down in the seniors and once they send them, they must report them.
Strange because look most yellow card offences aren't reportable.

All yellow cards in the RDFL are an instant report...

Why is that? Most offences you can get away with giving a free kick and a 50m penalty.

Correct, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen.... If you read my original response, I said, I disagree that it is an instant report.. not with the system itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen.... If you read my original response, I said, I disagree that it is an instant report.. not with the system itself.

Ok thanks for that. Being an umpire and we often work with the riddell umpires in the ballarat league. Trust your instincts mate. :thumbsu: We may be able to talk about it with them next time we see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back