Opinion Ruck set up. Playing 2 genuine rucks doesn’t work.

What set up do you want

• Goldy

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Xerri

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Goldy & Xerri

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

two rucks works when:

1. At least one of the rucks has some ground level athleticism to put pressure on defenders when resting forward
2. At least one of the rucks is a contested marking threat around the ground
3. At least one of the rucks has genuine goal sense and ability to be a lead up player
4. You have at least 2 genuine crumbers/ high pressure players inside the forward 50, that can get to the fall of the ball
5. Key forwards that apply decent amount of defensive pressure

At present you could argue that we don't tick any of those boxes. With Goldy or X forward you are essentially playing with one player down.

Brisbane don't tick all of the boxes when it comes to their two rucks (McInerney & Fort) but their smalls in the forward line (Bailey, Cameron ect) apply manic pressure that allows them to play more talls. We currently don't have anyone close to applying the pressure those guys do and therefore I don't think we can afford to play 2 rucks unless we find a way to hit up of leading 3rd tall types more (Ford, Zurhaar ect)

Last edited:
I still maintain that we should prioritise having a ruck for the post Goldy era but this isn’t working.

I just can’t see why they cant play together but it’s clear they cant. I do think Goldy should be more adaptable but he isn’t.

Give X a spell and see what works I guess , give him what he wants and let him know it’s expected that he performs
Would be interesting to see how we went if we "managed" Goldy and brought in CCJ. He's a better forward than Goldy, which would help Larkey a lot. That forward structure with Goldstein just isn't working for me at all.

Would be interesting to see how we went if we "managed" Goldy and brought in CCJ. He's a better forward than Goldy, which would help Larkey a lot. That forward structure with Goldstein just isn't working for me at all.
It’s a possibility.

It’s weird , even around the ground Goldy has been less effective in his disposal and dropping marks, it’s odd that not being at ruck Knocks has effected that part of his game

A rucks tactic that I would be interested to experiment with is to have Todd contest the centre bounces and then drop a kick behind the play as a loose intercepter, while Xerri/CCJ comes up out of the forward line to play on ball around the ground. Our deficiencies in key defensive posts would be helped tremendously. We tried this once last year I think but the second ruck was Larkey and we had no-one at all in the forward line to mark or bring the ball to ground. With the right mix of personnel, it could work. It could also be the pathway to add Comben as a 4th tall. We can't play with three talls in forward 50 as round 1 proved but if one of them rolls up to be on ball while the first ruck pushes back, then there is space in the forward half.

Could be the week for it. CJ played a ripper in the 2’s. Getting a look at how he works with X couldn’t hurt.

Hopefully X has added a bit of trade value and we can get a mid/late 2nd rounder for him.

I'd be playing CCJ, Goldy and Comben for a string of 6 games to see if they can make it work.

Hopefully X has added a bit of trade value and we can get a mid/late 2nd rounder for him.

I'd be playing CCJ, Goldy and Comben for a string of 6 games to see if they can make it work.
We asked St Kilda for a 2022 2nd rounder last year. Would be funny if he was traded and that's what we ended up with anyway.

*Hope we don't trade him, though. Would prefer Goldstein to retire or have one last year as a FA somewhere.

Back