Round 6 Results

Remove this Banner Ad

I Think he was talking about Joel Combes
Tim smith is bald if I remember rightly
Yes Bertron he did end up bald, but i have fond memories of him being a little freakled face Hawks supporter, with a rather bright red hair as a puppy growing up. Not the angry bald backpocket he matured into.
Its the kitten syndrome lol

Depends. The shire can only give what it's got - and within paramenters. Clubs often don't get how to work with councils. They aren't charities. If the proposition is justified with good, sound reasoning, the club has a proven record of management and the project is of benefit for the wider community, then SYR are very supportive. For all those reasons and more, OFCFCFCFC were successful in negotiations with council. They know SYR don't just throw cash at anyone and they did their homework. WY etc, same.

The keyboards were an issue on the last trips. Prices vary - a lot of businesses offer free access to customers, so the internet cafe, per se, is less common now. This time I am carrying a laptop and using the complementary wireless networks at the hotels. Much cheaper and more convenient for a host of reasons.
Email has been an issue. The email client confuses the local ISP's so I resort to web mail, Skype, Facebook, etc.

For what the shire have done at Woori, and plan to do at Olinda, doesn't exactly cover the shire in a lot of glory. Chucking a bit of grass seed down at the end of cricket season and the odd mow doesn't make them very supportive. I'd be interested to know what the shire collects in rent each year from "tenants" who use the grounds compared to what the shire spends.

I spent my playing days in Ballarat and the difference between what was done by the council there and here is poles apart. I believe that when the Western Border played an interleague game at Woori a few years ago that they put in a complaint to the V.C.F.L about the facilities. If you've ever been to Hamilton you'd know why.

According to the V.C.F.L. rankings the Y.V.M.D.F.L is ranked 12th (fair effort that). I bet the 11 leagues above, and their clubs, enjoy better support from their local councils.

Well, yes! But it aint that simple.
I played most of my footy in Geelong and the facilities were far better also. Difference is the economies of scale. Geelong - and I guess Ballarat - were regional cities with greater population density that ameliorates infrastructure costs. They simply serviced larger clubs and less of them, per head of population. SOYR has about 30, most in small village communities with a challenging climate and topography. Geelong had largely flat, sandy and drier conditions plus greater rate-pulling properties.
Having said that, the facilities were much better. We now have the problem of the state's CCT (Compulsory Competitive Tendering) legislation which means the SOYR has to accept the lowest quote. As we have seen, we now get what we pay for!!
The mindset that says the shires do nothing is not supported by the figures. We have the perception that they do nothing and it really isn't true. They have budgets that need managing and they try to lever each dollar.
Having been involved with clubs and league administrations for 4 decades, I dealt with a number of councils on many occasions. While negotiations were not always without difficulties, the councillors and staff were mostly very genuine and thoughtful. Importantly, they were very careful!! Wheels move slowly, but they did because of the complex processes involved.
Far better to work with them than to mount heartfelt criticisms based more on perception rather than full facts.

Good luck to the YVMDFL boys and officials tomorrow.l know you will do us proud.l must say great representation from the Gembrook football club,7 players in all.1 in the unders.Very proud to be part of that club.

Well, yes! But it aint that simple.
I played most of my footy in Geelong and the facilities were far better also. Difference is the economies of scale. Geelong - and I guess Ballarat - were regional cities with greater population density that ameliorates infrastructure costs. They simply serviced larger clubs and less of them, per head of population. SOYR has about 30, most in small village communities with a challenging climate and topography. Geelong had largely flat, sandy and drier conditions plus greater rate-pulling properties.
Having said that, the facilities were much better. We now have the problem of the state's CCT (Compulsory Competitive Tendering) legislation which means the SOYR has to accept the lowest quote. As we have seen, we now get what we pay for!!
The mindset that says the shires do nothing is not supported by the figures. We have the perception that they do nothing and it really isn't true. They have budgets that need managing and they try to lever each dollar.
Having been involved with clubs and league administrations for 4 decades, I dealt with a number of councils on many occasions. While negotiations were not always without difficulties, the councillors and staff were mostly very genuine and thoughtful. Importantly, they were very careful!! Wheels move slowly, but they did because of the complex processes involved.
Far better to work with them than to mount heartfelt criticisms based more on perception rather than full facts.

You don't think that Ballarat has a challenging climate? So please enlighten me as to what the full facts and figures are.

You don't think that Ballarat has a challenging climate? So please enlighten me as to what the full facts and figures are.
Hope you are just kidding about the Full facts.... :D
But here are a few figures that I dug up. Can't go full bore as I am in Slovenia atm!

SoYR has a population density of 55 per Sq Km.
Ballarat Shire has more than 2 and a half times that at 130 per sq km!

Ballarat has a population of 85,000 with about 10 clubs within its boundaries (that I can count. There may be a few more in neighbouring leagues.)
SoYR has over 20 that I can count off the top of my head (probably more, but I'm a long way away), in it's 38 townships!
Ballarat has an area of about 650km2 to cover with infrastructure, while SoYR has about 2,800. That's over 4 times the area with less than double the population! SoYR has to provide roads, sewerage, water etc across that vast area.
Consider also that SoYR does not have the rateable commercial, industrial and domestic properties of either Ballarat or my home town of Geelong.
And yes, Ballarat has a far more friendly climate than the hilly rainbelt that is SoYR.
Overall, the Geelongites and Ballaratians have a better deal, but they have greater opportunity to.
Can you rebut any of my findings or assertions?

But here are a few figures that I dug up. Can't go full bore as I am in Slovenia atm!

Ballarat has a population of 85,000 with about 10 clubs within its boundaries (that I can count. There may be a few more in neighbouring leagues.)
SoYR has over 20 that I can count off the top of my head (probably more, but I'm a long way away), in it's 38 townships!
Ballarat has an area of about 650km2 to cover with infrastructure, while SoYR has about 2,800. That's over 4 times the area with less than double the population! SoYR has to provide roads, sewerage, water etc across that vast area.
Consider also that SoYR does not have the rateable commercial, industrial and domestic properties of either Ballarat or my home town of Geelong.
And yes, Ballarat has a far more friendly climate than the hilly rainbelt that is SoYR.
Overall, the Geelongites and Ballaratians have a better deal, but they have greater opportunity to.

Hey kids remember, you need any info on anything google
Monniepedia

You stated in an earlier post "the mindset that says the shires do nothing is not supported by the figures" and "not to mount heartfelt criticisms based more on perceptions rather than full facts." These are the facts and figures that I'm interested in as to what the SoYR does to demonstrate that it supports local clubs, not a quick summary in the differences between two shires.

Anecdotal evidence, but real all the same:
Monbulk's changeroom complex was supported by council both in finance and planning. The Greening Monbulk water project, ground maintenance and a myriad of other projects over the years. Woori, Upwey also come to mind where they have had assistance. It is never enough! We always want more.
Realistically, we have to work with councils and compete with other community sections for funding and support. It depends on how you go about getting it. My experience is that it is difficult, but the support is there and it does exceed the small amounts we pay for maintenance. I've just been trying to put some common perceptions to bed in the interests of fairness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back