AFLW Round 10 v Carlton @ Casey, Saturday 12 March 7:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Final H&A game at fortress Casey.

Top-2 and a home prelim is mostly secure (bar us saving our worst for last and bottling this). A big win could give us first and, if we make it, a home GF.

Hopefully the wind subsides enough to let our skills shine. The Blues are pretty average so no reason we couldn't put up a big score, although realistically I'm expecting another 4-goal odd win in a scrape a la GWS, GC games.

Can’t wait for this one. I really want us to win because we are the better team - and not have one of those weird moments where we drop the bundle against a team we should beat. Hopefully we get some confidence from the last week and make it count

Agreed, our knowledge of the ground helps a lot playing there. The wind is a pain but we know how to use it.
I'd rather train in hard conditions than perfect. Weather wise. Not the playing surface. I just have a feeling those who train in perfect conditions can't handle it, when things get tough.

Down at the cattery with the oddball ground shape, many sides struggle. It hands them a strong home ground advantage.

Our girls hand-balled much much better, on the weekend just gone. And more to the point, Our decisions immediately prior to hand-balling, was much stronger.
It alone set the game up for our run and dash.

The other thing I noticed that pleased me, was the instances of 1%'rs. More selfless plays. Players putting blocks on, and shepherding teammates, instead of always going for the receive.

Going for the receive in tight situations, means the player with ball will be under pressure to dispose, when most often, a block will allow player to play on from the pressure, without needing to overuse the football. Less stress on our disposal skills and quicker cleaner ball movement.

Teammates should be thinking, how can I help my teammate with the ball? In no pressure and open space... run past. If a tight situation, take on and take out opposition pressurer/defender. If it will allow our teammate to take off into space.

Zanker doesn't always get a lot of the ball but she goes hard at the contested ball in the middle and creates options to feed the footy out, missing her tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heck we tried hard to lose that one. Incredible effort to go from a 15-0 first quarter which made the belting we needed to finish on top look inevitable, to requiring the leading goal kicker in the history of the comp (?) to miss a medium difficulty shot basically after siren

Skills after quarter time have been sh*t .
A failure to get the first handball any distance away, outside the immediate contest. The girls gottta learn to give the 1st option quickly, and away form the stoppage; preferably out sideways, or out the back of stoppage. where hopefully there is less opponents and more of us.

That set's up our run and carry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back