Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory has stuck with the club
Over a long period of time. Can’t really question his endeavours over all
Such a lot of challenges he has had to endure

The best thing for himself and his young family is to hang up the boots

Rory has been very, very well remunerated for his service to the Adelaide FC, and would have been even more so had St Kilda offered more.

Rory has been very, very well remunerated for his service to the Adelaide FC, and would have been even more so had St Kilda offered more.
Kinda wish they had to be honest.

Alternate universe where we get a pick after our first as free agency compo.

Then trade pick 9 (Jones) and Pick 16 (McHenry) for pick 5.

Take Rozee (pick 5) and Butters (Sloane pick)

We were so desperate to get him to stay after losing Lever and Cameron the previous year and Danger two years before that.

Him signing was a long-awaited feel good story but it hardly helped us given he never recaptured his 2016 form after teams worked out he couldn't shake a tag.

Giving him another season was just negligent list management but, hey, gotta please the apricot slice brigade.

We were so desperate to get him to stay after losing Lever and Cameron the previous year and Danger two years before that.

Him signing was a long-awaited feel good story but it hardly helped us given he never recaptured his 2016 form after teams worked out he couldn't shake a tag.

Giving him another season was just negligent list management but, hey, gotta please the apricot slice brigade.
He knew it too and squeezed out the extra year

I copped sooo much crap when he signed.. said it was a stupid contract because he was never an A-grader.

I copped sooo much crap when he signed.. said it was a stupid contract because he was never an A-grader.
He was definitely an a grader at one point, how long you have to be there is another debate.
He was rated top 5 in the comp by the ratings.

He had 1 elite season... problem is the Dangers, Martins, Judds, Selwoods do it over multiple years.
Beg to differ there his top 3-4 years were all very very good.
4th all time in our total brownlow votes.
Not sure how he wasn’t ever an a grade player, the last 5-6 years have soured people on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the new contract for 5 years was announced at the game vs Geelong in July 2018 (remember it well, was in the bank’s corporate box doing my retirement tour - my last gig as a business banker).

The crowd at the ground cheered.

Oh, if we only knew what was about to happen.

Beg to differ there his top 3-4 years were all very very good.
4th all time in our total brownlow votes.
Not sure how he wasn’t ever an a grade player, the last 5-6 years have soured people on him
IMHO he was an A-Grader in our side but not in the competition. I didn't rate him that highly.

Remember the new contract for 5 years was announced at the game vs Geelong in July 2018 (remember it well, was in the bank’s corporate box doing my retirement tour - my last gig as a business banker).

The crowd at the ground cheered.

Oh, if we only knew what was about to happen.
Remember that clearly, it was a good moment at the time.

It has been downhill since.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kinda wish they had to be honest.

Alternate universe where we get a pick after our first as free agency compo.

Then trade pick 9 (Jones) and Pick 16 (McHenry) for pick 5.

Take Rozee (pick 5) and Butters (Sloane pick)
I definitely wanted Sloane traded as he had foot problems at the same time we stupidly overpayed him. Thats why the vic suitors dropped off and afc probably thought it was their great management of the club as to why he wanted to stay. We could have lowballed him to get him to move on but instead choose to make a winged player our highest paid player on a ridiculously long contract. Not many of us on here wanted sloane traded but it was the right call if the club was serious about winning a flag which they clearly aren't.

What is the go here?

Lets assume he gets the go ahead to play football, is he actually going to play SANFL football before back in the main side?

Or are they waiting for the right moment to announce his retirement?
Well I reckon nicks will say that Rory lives and breathes “ the values” of how we play ( what ever the @@ that means) and fast track him back 🤯

What is the go here?

Lets assume he gets the go ahead to play football, is he actually going to play SANFL football before back in the main side?

The club are leaving him on the list for as long as possible to justify the last stupid contract we handed out to him.
I'm not sure many clubs would have paid so much, for so long and got so little back in return
It's really soured his legacy

I doubt he'd be in full contact training if the plan was to wait for an opportune time to retire.

So what is the plan then?

So he plays a game in the SANFL and gets thru it. Straight to the senior side, irrespective how he goes?

FFS, just have a man conversation with him and tell him to retire. He is in the last year of a very fat contract and he has been paid well.

Someone for christ sake just show some bloody leadership and balls!

What is the go here?

'' yeah thats an interesting one - we value what Rory brings to the team and lets be honest he is a great trainer , runs hard , competes and presents as if he is ready to go - we would find it difficult to hold him back so we will give Rory every possible chance ''

If you think this is real thats how far down we have gone as a club that its even considered to be anything but parody

So what is the plan then?

So he plays a game in the SANFL and gets thru it. Straight to the senior side, irrespective how he goes?

FFS, just have a man conversation with him and tell him to retire. He is in the last year of a very fat contract and he has been paid well.

Someone for christ sake just show some bloody leadership and balls!

There's only 2 options, assuming we're being to,d the truth about him 'getting used to goggles'. First is straight into the 1s and the second a predetermined duration tune up in the SANFL. Could be anything from half a game to 2. But performance wont matter, he'll tick the box and be in the 1s. Or retire, he won't play SANFL for weeks, no way Rory does that to himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back