Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, Sloane sucked when he started games. His best games were when he came on as sub and everyone else had slowed down.

Having said that, he shouldn’t even be on the list let alone as sub, same with Boak. Only Port have the balls to make the obvious call though.
They'll probably play him in the 22. If he actually plays SANFL and back up then he'll retire mid year I think.

They should start Boak and sub him out.

Start of the game you need the onfiled leadership and experience.

Bring on the young gun with the pace late.

Same with us with Sloane.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, you have it the wrong way around... Sloane was only decent for us in last quarters when the pace goes out of the game.

On field leadership counts for nothing if you can't keep up with your opponent!

I agree, I dont blame Sloane at all, the fault is with the AFC.
Yep.. sloane’s thinkin about whats best for Sloane’s bank balance.

the club should‘ve been thinking about whats best for the club.. not whats best for sloaney..

the club should‘ve been thinking about whats best for the club.. not whats best for sloaney..
Make no mistake I am certain he would have ambitions of playing on in 2025, especially if he has an injury free average year.

The club still sees him as one of our prime movers in the middle.

Our lack of judgement is the problem.

Make no mistake I am certain he would have ambitions of playing on in 2025, especially if he has an injury free average year.
Oh.. absolutely no doubt.. I actually think he delusionally believes he is providing as much to the team as Tex still is at 33 years of age..

Is there a single person on our bf board who has Rory Sloane as best 23 with a fully fit squad? Serious question.

Nah, Sloane sucked when he started games. His best games were when he came on as sub and everyone else had slowed down.

Having said that, he shouldn’t even be on the list let alone as sub, same with Boak. Only Port have the balls to make the obvious call though.
Yeah fair point. Sloane was better as the sub.

But should have retired.

Will be sad that such genuinely good guy will play on too long.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shitty way to finish your career.

Comments in the article that Port as a great don’t want Boak to finish his career playing sanfl.

So the question is, what have we told Sloane? Sloane has said SANFL isn’t on the radar any time soon for him. If that’s the case and we think he’s a first choice player, crikey.

we gave him 2 weeks freshen up as sub, having protected the great man's ego with the ladt minute 'game day change', and then got him back 8nto the 22 in the guts for our end of season assault. It's not hard to see how VB and Nicks rate his performance.

Surely these guys have a look at the stat sheet after a match and see they aren't doing enough to help their team

Sloane has had no negative feedback and he completely buys into the 'leadership more important than football performance' culture we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who do you reckon the club was thinking of when Sloaney started at the opening bounce in his 250th? Coincidence that it was the only time all year. The rest of the list comes a long way behind Sloaney.

Statistically Sloane was pretty good this year. Top 80 in the comp for contested possessions , average 3rd for tackles, reasonable disposal per minute played, really good disposal efficiency.
It’s the lack of sped that costs opportunities for the team that’s his probably. Still plays brave and does his bit

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think there is a danger here in that Sloanes stats are going to be inflated by virtue of getting 30-50% inside midfield time for a large portion of the year, and a good portion of other time on a wing. Even a bottom tier inside midfielder is going to produce a statline that looks good compared to the rest of the competition just due to how many opportunities there are to get the ball/influence play.

The stat line isn't straight up awful, but it does signal Sloane is in the bottom tier of inside mids in the league. You can at least sit there and say he provided a bit of defensive power (above average for tackles, intercepts), he used the ball well (above average for both disposal and kick efficiency) and was ok in the clinches but the problem is the production/grunt just isn't there in a side that desperately needed it.

The club still sees him as one of our prime movers in the middle.

Our lack of judgement is the problem.

It's not even a lack of judgement - it's a genuine lack of good inside midfielders that drives it.

Sloane getting midfield minutes and us taking all year to settle on a third inside midfielder are both inter-linked with how much of a mess that sector was. We did not have a plan B if Berry fell apart, and lo and behold, he did. Ultimately, it's what ended up ruining what should have been a top 4 side.

Mind you, if Soglio is legit, he'll probably take Sloane midfield minutes with a good offseason.

Statistically Sloane was pretty good this year. Top 80 in the comp for contested possessions , average 3rd for tackles, reasonable disposal per minute played, really good disposal efficiency.
It’s the lack of sped that costs opportunities for the team that’s his probably. Still plays brave and does his bit

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's when we turnover it over and don't have the ball he is a massive liability.

who do you reckon the club was thinking of when Sloaney started at the opening bounce in his 250th? Coincidence that it was the only time all year. The rest of the list comes a long way behind Sloaney.
Ended up costing us finals.

No there was talk they were going to but doesn’t look like it.

Sad by Boak that he thinks he can play on, these guys don’t know when times up.
He will quickly find out like Douglas did that no one wants a cooked Boak. He may get a development coaching gig though. Boak was less cooked than Sloane so at least powaa can do what needs to be done. If only the crows did the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back