Regional Germans voting the same way they did in 1933?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting - but you need to sign in to read:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...arallels-between-german-votes-in-1933-and-now

Few countries have done more than Germany to repent of the sins of the past. Its post-war constitution banned Nazi symbols and anti-democratic parties. For decades the conservative Christian Democratic Union has guarded the right-wing frontier of German politics and kept extremists out of parliament.

Against this background, many Germans were alarmed when the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) won 13% of the vote in 2017, making it the third-biggest force in parliament. The party was founded to oppose eubail-outs of debt-stricken countries like Greece, which many Germans saw as a transfer from industrious German taxpayers to feckless Greeks. In 2013 it fell short of the 5% of votes needed to enter parliament. The AfD was then transformed as nationalists took it over and began to rail against immigrants and Islam.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...arallels-between-german-votes-in-1933-and-now

Few countries have done more than Germany to repent of the sins of the past. Its post-war constitution banned Nazi symbols and anti-democratic parties. For decades the conservative Christian Democratic Union has guarded the right-wing frontier of German politics and kept extremists out of parliament.

Against this background, many Germans were alarmed when the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) won 13% of the vote in 2017, making it the third-biggest force in parliament. The party was founded to oppose eubail-outs of debt-stricken countries like Greece, which many Germans saw as a transfer from industrious German taxpayers to feckless Greeks. In 2013 it fell short of the 5% of votes needed to enter parliament. The AfD was then transformed as nationalists took it over and began to rail against immigrants and Islam.
Not sure if is in the article you posted, but the echoes go back even further:
https://voxeu.org/article/how-anti-...many-was-influenced-medieval-mass-murder-jews

At least according to polling, the AfD vote does seem to be steadily declining now that Merkel will be departing and immigration and security become less important issues. A few Landtagswahlen across Eastern states this year will be a test.

As for the vote distribution, I suppose it's the same pattern that nationalist parties everywhere show - the most disaffected areas have the highest votes. In this case, those states sheltered for decades from a globalising, prospering world by the Iron Curtain. Same for the Nazis post-Versailles: Ostpreussen, Silesia, Pommern.

One difference though is that the Protestant/Catholic political split is less relevant now, and I'm not aware of any evidence that AfD attracts the higher proportion of Protestant support that the Nazis did.

Considering we have a far right government
A host of far right independants
A host of far left extremists
A horrible record of treatment of the indigenous
A shocking media generated islamaphobia
Keep entering illegal war after war based on lies.
Deny global warming.

Have a serious and toxic Alchol culture

Far right Germans look normal.

Deny global warming.

Off the top of my head we've 'only' been in 2 illegal wars in about 50 years.

BF is full of Australian apologists who are willing to make up anything in order to cast it in a bad light.

Don't get me wrong Australia has its share to answer for. But it does compare favorably to literal Nazis.

I shouldn't have replied. He has a poor understanding of history and believes "Australia isn't perfect" is a shield.

Deny global warming.

When are you leaving?
Germany has about 1 mosque attack every 2 weeks, they don't report it much and obviously heaps of people don't die. But the grass ain't greener.

When are you leaving?
Germany has about 1 mosque attack every 2 weeks, they don't report it much and obviously heaps of people don't die. But the grass ain't greener.

No supreme court has said Germany is an illegal colony. Australia cant say that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thegibbsgamble said something about illegal wars. Vietnam and Iraq 2003 are the only Australian ones that didn't get the UN seal of approval.

Do you mean the High Court? When did they say Australia is an illegal colony? And whose colony?
wars don't need the UN seal approval to be somehow legal, the concept of illegal/legal wars is not a framework that sits in the Geneva conventions.

I can recall going to the World Cup in 2006, it seemed like the beginning of a national awakening...the juggernaut was for the first time since the war allowed to show national pride. They had largely been shamed and banned from shows of patriotism. I think despite our attempts to interfere, everything reverts to the mean.

I don’t think it’s right to hold an entire nation to account, and shame a new generation for something they had nothing to do with.

I can recall going to the World Cup in 2006, it seemed like the beginning of a national awakening...the juggernaut was for the first time since the war allowed to show national pride. They had largely been shamed and banned from shows of patriotism. I think despite our attempts to interfere, everything reverts to the mean.

I don’t think it’s right to hold an entire nation to account, and shame a new generation for something they had nothing to do with.

Antifa will save us

The sad reality is the holocaust was American. Hitler was so good at winning he accumulated too many POW's and the Americans cut off all his foods with blockades.

The sad reality is the holocaust was American. Hitler was so good at winning he accumulated too many POW's and the Americans cut off all his foods with blockades.
Starvation tends to happen when you put hundreds of thousands of your farmers in uniform and invade the countries that had been selling you food. And of course, killing millions of the locals in the occupied territories who could have grown food didnt help either.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was not a great shortage of food in Germany during ww2 until right at the End. He did not accumlate enough POWs , he needed the labour killing 3 million Rusisan POWs in 1941 was counter productive. They needed the labor and had the food, (in striaght out utilartian no morals view(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back