Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

He is simply not a forward.

Needs to get a run on the wing or half back to get involved more.

Looks very dangerous when he has the ball in space, just struggles to get involved with the game as a forward.

Not a believer at this stage, certainly not at FF

Has anyone ever suggested he’s a FF or more specifically a KPF? Most seem to suggest 3rd tall. He’s been forced into the role now because we have McStay, Kreuger, Eyre and Steene out injured, and Murphy retired. Eyre’s injury meaning we’ve even lost Glover to defence. Johnson’s recent form just compounding our need for him to step up.

I still don’t know about Reef. Keep expecting him to improve, but if he is improving, it’s barely noticeable.

He moves between the seniors and the VFL, seemingly without changing gears. When he’s in the VFL, he doesn’t demand a promotion. And when he’s in the seniors, he doesn’t demand retention.

Traditionally, we see players stand out at VFL level, and then (mostly) move permanently into the seniors. But I’m not seeing this pattern with Reef.

We saw it with IQ, McCreery, Henry (I know) and even Ginni (I know again). When these guys got their much vaunted ‘more exposure’ at senior level, they took it and ran.

What is his position? If its midfield as some suggest, why are the coaches not playing him there?

Has anyone ever suggested he’s a FF or more specifically a KPF? Most seem to suggest 3rd tall. He’s been forced into the role now because we have McStay, Kreuger, Eyre and Steene out injured, and Murphy retired. Eyre’s injury meaning we’ve even lost Glover to defence. Johnson’s recent form just compounding our need for him to step up.
Our constantly playing him at FF indicates that someone at the club is suggesting he is a FF. Of which, I of course disagree, and perhaps you do too.

Our constantly playing him at FF indicates that someone at the club is suggesting he is a FF. Of which, I of course disagree, and perhaps you do too.
The club doesn't think he's a FF but someone has to play there and it won't be Joe Richards although he might be next cab off the rank withFreddie is always injured and no other options.

Yeah, currently best suited to a 3rd tall role IMHO. But the lack of options is the key reason he's being asked to play FF. Ideally, both Checkers and McStay would be available at senior level, and Kreuger and Glover/Steene at reserve level so he wasn't required to cover for them. He's not without potential to impact in the role. Much like we've historically used Elliott and Stephenson out of the square.

I still don’t know about Reef. Keep expecting him to improve, but if he is improving, it’s barely noticeable.

He moves between the seniors and the VFL, seemingly without changing gears. When he’s in the VFL, he doesn’t demand a promotion. And when he’s in the seniors, he doesn’t demand retention.

Traditionally, we see players stand out at VFL level, and then (mostly) move permanently into the seniors. But I’m not seeing this pattern with Reef.

We saw it with IQ, McCreery, Henry (I know) and even Ginni (I know again). When these guys got their much vaunted ‘more exposure’ at senior level, they took it and ran.

What is his position? If its midfield as some suggest, why are the coaches not playing him there?
Didn't Reef have a strong period in the end of last year where he was our best forward and consistently kicking multiple goals? Similar to Macrae, couldn't get a look into the AFL side due to gearing up for finals.

This year, it's been hard for any of them to show consistent VFL form due to how crap the team is and jumping between sub roles in the seniors

Didn't Reef have a strong period in the end of last year where he was our best forward and consistently kicking multiple goals? Similar to Macrae, couldn't get a look into the AFL side due to gearing up for finals.

This year, it's been hard for any of them to show consistent VFL form due to how crap the team is and jumping between sub roles in the seniors
Just finished watching the vfl match from the weekend.

Reef split his time playing forward - didn't trouble the scorers or really impact - and also played some limited midfield minutes 2nd half and ended up cramping late in Q4.

I think his tank has improved over the summer (from a low base) but still has some ways to go to be able to run out a full game at decent intensity.

He has shown glimpses at afl level given limited exposure but needs to keep working on his aerobic base, strength and running patterns. Reckon he's a chance at putting to together a reasonable afl career starting as a 3rd tall forward and progressing to playing midfield minutes (as long as he keeps working on his aerobic base).

Spending time as sub and oscillating btw levels would also be hindering his fitness levels.

PS: An afl coach recently commented that the disparity & gulf in class / skill / intensity btw the vfl and afl is stark. The game i just watched probably had 85% of i50 kicks from the Pies go straight to an Essendon jumper.

Just finished watching the vfl match from the weekend.

Reef split his time playing forward - didn't trouble the scorers or really impact - and also played some limited midfield minutes 2nd half and ended up cramping late in Q4.

I think his tank has improved over the summer (from a low base) but still has some ways to go to be able to run out a full game at decent intensity.

He has shown glimpses at afl level given limited exposure but needs to keep working on his aerobic base, strength and running patterns. Reckon he's a chance at putting to together a reasonable afl career starting as a 3rd tall forward and progressing to playing midfield minutes (as long as he keeps working on his aerobic base).

Spending time as sub and oscillating btw levels would also be hindering his fitness levels.

PS: An afl coach recently commented that the disparity & gulf in class / skill / intensity btw the vfl and afl is stark. The game i just watched probably had 85% of i50 kicks from the Pies go straight to an Essendon jumper.

Why is his fitness so poor?

not sure, I think his vintage was covid-impacted and he came into the program with aerobic base as an area he needed to improve. It takes time to build an afl level aerobic base even if you’re playing full-time mid (eg. Finn) which he (McInnes) ain’t.

Is the nature of the draft and the nature of List management where clubs need to offload a certain number of players each year in some ways making it harder for both players and clubs. For instance are players simply too young when drafted so that only exceptional talents tend to succeed. After 4 years on a list they are still only 21 or 22. I don’t know. Some of the champions of our game didn’t hit their straps until 24 yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been hampered by injury most of his pre-seasons whats taken a toll on his fitness, but his tank has improved this pre-season i've noticed.
Some just take longer than others.

I think he can be one that eventually plays some minutes in the midfeld then drifting forward.

Is the nature of the draft and the nature of List management where clubs need to offload a certain number of players each year in some ways making it harder for both players and clubs. For instance are players simply too young when drafted so that only exceptional talents tend to succeed. After 4 years on a list they are still only 21 or 22. I don’t know. Some of the champions of our game didn’t hit their straps until 24 yo.
In an ideal world, the players that get turned over would go to the VFL and continue to develop. The problem is that most just go back to their local clubs or bigger suburban and country leagues where they can make a bit of cash. If the Vfl paid a decent wage and had better development systems, half the problem would be solved.

He's got physical ability. But like a few others in the VFL team, the question remains about whether he'll learn to play a role well enough for the AFL. He's not a natural who just knows what to do out there - he needs to learn what to do and there's a fair chance he won't .

My positive spin on reef is that they're developing his forward craft before they put him in the midfield. He's at that awkward height, where they have to be developed a bit different to other more natural midfielders. I reckon the club is prepared to be patient with him. Perhaps it's us that are just impatient. The negative is that he might just not be up to it. Who knows

My positive spin on reef is that they're developing his forward craft before they put him in the midfield. He's at that awkward height, where they have to be developed a bit different to other more natural midfielders. I reckon the club is prepared to be patient with him. Perhaps it's us that are just impatient. The negative is that he might just not be up to it. Who knows

I think the new drafting strategy is built around physical attributes. We won't have guys like Bianco, Crocker, Smith and Phillips who just aren't quite right physically. The guys who don't make it will look a million bucks physically, but not be able to play footy to an AFL standard. Hopefully we'll also get some who are physically impressive,learn to play footy and become stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back