Review Rd 20 Review - Freo Shown Up by Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Henry has made good improvement this year but I after it is this bit that I don't get - I thought when we got him he was meant to be FAST. What happened?
Would agree he's definitely not fast, as he's adapting, it's more his agility and decision making that looks really good. He's really a lot like Walters in that regard IMO

Regarding Henry, we need to ask what is he and what does he bring to the team? He was always marketed as a small forward, yet rarely hits the scoreboard and his pressure isn't great - only 1 goal this year and 9 tackles. Doesn't come across as even a half decent small forward. Regularly gets caught.

He's not a speedy line breaker.

He's not an inside player, easily out-muscled.

He was marketed as having silky skills, yet regularly fumbles - not a clean distributer of the ball.

I really like the kid, but i'm not sure what he brings at this level. I don't know what JL's role is for him, but it's hard to see him bringing anything positive to the team at this level.

What do we think his role is in the team? and why should he be in the team?
As he gets the better, the fumbles are getting less and he's a good decision maker. His games at Peel he wasnt dominating through line breaking but good decisions and always setting the next player up as well as possible. It seems many of you dont agree but I think he's skills have been really good since coming back into the team where he is generally weighting handpasses and kicks perfectly where it's really opening the game up.

He's also one of the few still with dare to bring the ball back inside where he can

We tried to play slow and controlled which worked against us. Our best footy was fast footy. Look back to when we were on a roll, we played with dare and at a pace that scared the oppo and caught them off guard. Our fitness is probably the reason for the change up it we know the formula, just implement it with our depth at Peel. But JL is very slow to react so I'm not holding my breath.

Would you like a real breakdown, or just fumble in the dark?

Our issues, are and will remain at the source.

We have an overweight ruckman who was bullied by Petracca, swat that little fly away. Instead, he was physically and verbally abused. You line him up, and bury him. That was some serioulsy weak football from Darcy after throwing a rabbit punch, he then went full tail between the legs. Show some spine.

In addition to the decline of Darcy, we are carrying too many "watchers" - blokes that want the ball, but don't want to win it in the trenches. We were absolutely destroyed, again, by a big bodied midfield brigade, this time Petracca had energy and he mauled our little cubs.

Unless there is a genuine growth spurt from Serong, and Brayshaw actually shows he can mix it in the middle, these two should inhabit the wings and spread from stoppages. When push comes to shove, these two are bullied, too easily and too often.

Again, it was left to Brodie and Mundy to win the contested ball & clearance, while AB and CS squawked for the lateral handball.

We are in a world of hurt from the middle, without the ability to push through the stoppage, and break with any power, we revert lateral, and then backward. Even if we win from stoppage, we don't have the power to go through the front door, this allows oppo defences to shift and roll behind the ball.

The forward line is full of plodders who have masquaraded on size alone, Taberner is never going to be a premiership winning, reliable key forward, nor is Lobb, yet we pay these two god forsaken amounts to be "almost" players.

Terminate, one or both of them and start feeding games into the forwards with natural goal sense, a hunger to compete and desire bring the ball to ground as a bare minimum.

Also, Alex Pearce needs to be retired, he is not fit for purpose in the modern game.
Far out, can’t you keep it all in the Vent thread??

I’m not sure if you watched it on TV or were there, I was really surprised to read some people assess this as a coming of age game for Henry. Being at the game love I thought he was atrocious.

It's funny, in the Richmond game thread I criticised his intensity and commitment in the contest and got a bunch of 'what game are you watching' replies.

This week I posted that I thought it was a turning point 'coming of age' game and I'm also getting a bunch of 'what game were you watching' responses, lol.

I thought it was a huge turning point game because it was the first time I've seen him play with intensity in the contest, rather than jogging around half-heartedly when he doesn't have the ball or giving up as soon as he loses the initial contest. It was like it had finally clicked for him that you need to play with genuine intensity at AFL level.

That's the only part of his game that made me doubt whether he could have an AFL career. He has all the other tools, if he can keep playing with the required intensity the rest will come with time and experience.

It's funny, in the Richmond game thread I criticised his intensity and commitment in the contest and got a bunch of 'what game are you watching' replies.

This week I posted that I thought it was a turning point 'coming of age' game and I'm also getting a bunch of 'what game were you watching' responses, lol.

I thought it was a huge turning point game because it was the first time I've seen him play with intensity in the contest, rather than jogging around half-heartedly when he doesn't have the ball or giving up as soon as he loses the initial contest. It was like it had finally clicked for him that you need to play with genuine intensity at AFL level.

That's the only part of his game that made me doubt whether he could have an AFL career. He has all the other tools, if he can keep playing with the required intensity the rest will come with time and experience.

Yeah agree I think last two games have been chalk and cheese compared to his earlier afl stints. Much more consistent intensity, going hard when required to.

He still has a way to go but he actually looks like he's giving it his all now.

I think Henry has made good improvement this year but it is this bit that I don't get - I thought when we got him he was meant to be FAST. What happened?

Henry seems like a nice kid, just never going to make it.

Not devasting with his speed, doesn't have the frame to grow into a mid, doesn't have the innate skill or manic desire to play as a small forward.

He's literally going to need to be fed the ball, in space, to use his footskills.

Not devasting with his speed, doesn't have the frame to grow into a mid, doesn't have the innate skill or manic desire to play as a small forward.

He's literally going to need to be fed the ball, in space, to use his footskills.
What do you contribute to this board.

What do you contribute to this board.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

I disagree. His arsenal includes an elite disposal, evasive footwork, silky ball handling and an ability to find space. He's a keeper.

I disagree. His arsenal includes an elite disposal, evasive footwork, silky ball handling and an ability to find space. He's a keeper.
Random question. If Liam Henry ends up with a similar career to Stephen Hill, would you be happy with that?

This is a serious question. Because Liam Henry has similar type of player skills set to Stephen Hill. Won't get 30 disposals a game but will get around 15-20 kicks a game.

Has pace but has very good foot and hand skills.

I hope we get 200 games out of Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random question. If Liam Henry ends up with a similar career to Stephen Hill, would you be happy with that?

This is a serious question. Because Liam Henry has similar type of player skills set to Stephen Hill. Won't get 30 disposals a game but will get around 15-20 kicks a game.

Has pace but has very good foot and hand skills.

I hope we get 200 games out of Henry.

Get your hand off it. Stephen Hill was working out how to beat the tag with his elite gut running and speed at Henry’s age. He was the opposition’s main priority to tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back